2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Who wanted to be mayor?
ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Elections

Postby ECtransplant » December 25th, 2012, 1:06 am

From the article I linked:
Council Member Meg Tuthill (10th Ward) worked on the neighborhood’s old zoning task force. She said she has several concerns about the northern Wedge zoning: the potential for tall buildings to cast long shadows, the potential loss of historic homes, and the resulting parking crunch.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 27th, 2012, 1:11 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/ ... l?c=958273
In a 2 p.m. announcement at the Midtown Global Market, Mayor R.T. Rybak will make his long-awaited announcement on whether he will run for a fourth term next year. First elected in 2001, Rybak easily won re-election in 2005 and 2009, and other potential candidates have said they won't run if the mayor is once again on the ballot.

[...]
Drumroll please!

EDIT: Let the games begin!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 27th, 2012, 2:12 pm

I guess he didn't want to give the citizens a citywide referendum on his decision to support the Vikings stadium.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 27th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Hmm, here comes Gary Schiff I bet.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 27th, 2012, 3:32 pm

I am sad to see Rybak go. On the bright side, this puts more council seats in play and should increase turnout at caucuses (de facto election) and on election day.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 3rd, 2013, 4:14 pm

twincitizen

Re: 2013 Minneapolis Municipal Election

Postby twincitizen » January 30th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Breaking news: Gary Schiff officially enters Mayoral race. Don Samuels to kick off campaign next week. Including Betsy Hodges, that makes 3 sitting council members who are dead serious about being mayor.

Who will Rybak endorse?? Definitely not Gary Schiff, but he's pretty close with Samuels and Hodges. Hodges did not vote for the stadium, while Samuels did and has always been one of the Rybak's strongest allies on the council.

Actual breaking news TODAY: Lilligren, Schiff, Goodman, and Glidden endorse Jacob Frey for Ward 3. I can't imagine how terrible Diane Hofstede must be to work with if at least 1/3 councilmembers endorse her opponent. I was just telling someone last night how I felt this race was already over...and that was before this announcement!

I'm really curious how the endorsements will shake out in Ward 10. I can't see Robert Lilligren endorsing Meg Tuthill. He is so passionate about reopening Nicollet, streetcars, etc. - that is just not her bag. Rybak being such a strong advocate for growth, density, etc...I can't see him going for Tuthill either. She is toxic to the future growth of this area with things like Mozaic 2, 35W-Lake, Nicollet-Lake Kmart, BRT/Streetcar, etc on the horizon.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 30th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Campaign funding reports for Ward 10: http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... uncil-race

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 31st, 2013, 6:34 am

Minneapolis elections always crack me up. There is no balance or diversity. It's liberal vs nut liberal Green vs greener!

You can be a complete kook and get elected in Minneapolis.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » January 31st, 2013, 8:29 am

To be fair, you can be what other people might consider a kook and get elected anywhere if you put your mind to it. I actually think Minneapolis runs pretty well as a city. Granted, I have not lived everywhere, but in the places I have lived, I was suprised by the craziness that exists in government that I just don't see in Minneapolis. Most people, genuinely seem to want the city to be a better place, or what they view to be a better place, and are willing to work towards that goal. This is not so ALL the time, but I would feel comfortable saying this is true most of the time.
Last edited by NickP on February 10th, 2013, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » January 31st, 2013, 9:24 am

Unlike District 6 who never elects a KOOK to the United States Congress.

sdbroom
Block E

Postby sdbroom » January 31st, 2013, 11:21 am

Is there anyone in particular you're thinking of?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 31st, 2013, 12:01 pm

Speaking of Kooks, Diane has her own list of endorsements following yesterday's anti-Diane move by 1/3 of the council.

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/189223401.html

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/189090921.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » January 31st, 2013, 1:37 pm

Minneapolis elections always crack me up. There is no balance or diversity. It's liberal vs nut liberal Green vs greener!

At least we don't have people running on anti science and anti civil rights platforms

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » February 1st, 2013, 8:33 am

At least we don't have people running on anti science and anti civil rights platforms
Oh, you do. Plus you have gay haters, white haters, divisive jerks....the left is much more intolerant and goofy than the right. Why not some balance? How about elect at least one person who doesn't think it's right to spend someone's hard earned dollar to a generational welfare rube? JUST ONE!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » February 1st, 2013, 8:34 am

Unlike District 6 who never elects a KOOK to the United States Congress.
I agree, they do not.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 1st, 2013, 10:53 am

To be fair, you can be what other people might consider a kook and get elected anywhere if you put your mind to it. I actually think Minneapolis runs pretty well as a city. Granted, I have not lived everywhere, but in the places I have lived, I was suprised by the craziness that exists in government that I just don't see in Minneapolis. Most people, genuinely seem to want the city to be a better place, or what they view to be a better place, and are willing to work towards that goal. This is no so ALL the time, but I would feel comfortable saying this is true most of the time.
I think this is a very accurate assessment of our city. And working for "the common good" has always been a strong part of our culture and tradition. The greatest example of this is, of course , is our urban park system, which is one of the most highly developed and well planned in the world.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » February 1st, 2013, 1:58 pm

Thanks John. I think there is a wide range of ideas that exist in our city government. Nasa, I just can't agree that one side is more intolerant than the other. Case in point, a vocal part of the right side of the political spectrum is intolerant of homosexuality, while a vocal part of the left is intolerant of people who are intolerant of homosexuality. I see both those groups as intolerant and think that both sides have people that are oblivious to their intolerance. That said, I do think various individuals can be intolerant, but there are too many people within each party to push them all into one corner.
I also disagree that the people elected to office are intentionally trying to steal the money of the citizens to support lazy drunks. I like that we have so much welfare in our city. I think it makes us a more humane place. To be honest, when I hear statements, such as your "spend someone's hard earned dollar to a generational welfare rube?" it just seems to me like you really don't care about other people. Which would be unfortunate.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » February 1st, 2013, 7:52 pm

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerance. Bigots need to be called out for what they are

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » February 1st, 2013, 10:57 pm

I agree. But I also think that yelling at them will just cause them to fortify their own beliefs. This ultimately doesn't get what, I think, we would want in the first place, which is for the bigotry not to exist.