Edmund Blvd

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Edmund Blvd

Postby minneboom » June 16th, 2020, 11:36 am

Should Edmund Blvd be renamed? Why do we have a street named after the guy who likely created the first racial covenant entered into a property deed in Minneapolis?

https://www.mappingprejudice.org/storie ... index.html

uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Edmund Blvd

Postby uptownbro » June 16th, 2020, 11:48 am

I guess I assumed it was named after Edmund Burke. If not I think the name can stay but the person who it is named after can change. Edmund Burke proposed a bill to ban slaveholders from being able to sit in the British House of Commons claiming they were a danger incompatible with British liberty as well as one of if not the first plan for abolition which at the time was radical

twincitizen

Re: Edmund Blvd

Postby twincitizen » June 18th, 2020, 12:01 am

Instead of renaming the street, I don’t see any reason Edmund Blvd couldn’t also be called West River Parkway. Edmund is kind of exactly a frontage road to WRP anyways. Those homeowners are paying all that money to live on the Parkway and currently don’t even get the perk/prestige of having a West River Parkway address. While annoying to have to change your address, I’d think most homeowners would be happy with the new address in the long run