South Nicollet-Lyndale-Kingfield-Tangletown-Windom

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
PhilmerPhil

Re: South Nicollet (Lyndale & Kingfield & Tangletown & Windom)

Postby PhilmerPhil » May 23rd, 2017, 3:45 pm

Why would they need a parking variance? Weren't parking requirements eliminated near high frequency transit?

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » May 24th, 2017, 7:53 am

Why would they need a parking variance? Weren't parking requirements eliminated near high frequency transit?
The developer brought that up and said they could move forward without one. I couldn't tell whether the City was encouraging them to seek the variance, or if the developer decided on its own that it would be better if the neighborhood approved the parking situation they are proposing.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » May 24th, 2017, 9:37 am

The developer brought that up and said they could move forward without one. I couldn't tell whether the City was encouraging them to seek the variance, or if the developer decided on its own that it would be better if the neighborhood approved the parking situation they are proposing.
Either way, smart dude. He worked the building to save an old tree when the neighbor next door complained about its potential demise.

The idea was that clients would access the non street-facing live/work garages via the "woonerf" that has benches and artwork. The alley side is fenced off, and last I heard the glass garage doors were out as well. Overall, I think having 6 units facing the street instead of 2 is a step in the right direction.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Re: Nicollet Ave, Lake St to Crosstown (Lyndale, Kingfield, Tangletown & Windom)

Postby minntransplant » July 12th, 2018, 10:04 am

Finally, construction has started at 3329 Nicollet Ave. This is for the the live/work townhouses and apartments. Will be curious to see how the townhouses lease up. I think the developer said at a neighborhood meeting that they would rent for under $3,000 a month.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Re: Nicollet Ave, Lake St to Crosstown (Lyndale, Kingfield, Tangletown & Windom)

Postby minntransplant » August 17th, 2018, 7:25 am

Finally, construction has started at 3329 Nicollet Ave. This is for the the live/work townhouses and apartments. Will be curious to see how the townhouses lease up. I think the developer said at a neighborhood meeting that they would rent for under $3,000 a month.
Foundation is done. They started installing pre-fabricated framing yesterday. Could be all framed out within a week. I'll try to get some photos later today.

Also, the building at 3301 Nicollet is now a pile of rubble. Demo started yesterday.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » September 26th, 2018, 11:25 am

Changes coming to 38th & Nicollet:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/23/c ... ighthawks/
http://mspmag.com/eat-and-drink/foodie/ ... ighthawks/

New cook, new menu, and cocktails by Five Watt are coming to Nighthawks. They're also shut down this week for renovations. Part of the renovations include walling off access to the old Birdie space. A new restaurant is taking that location:

https://www.boludoempanadas.com
https://www.instagram.com/boludoempanadas_/

During open streets they stated their emphasis will be on quick grab-and-go food.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: South Nicollet Ave - Lake to Crosstown (Lyndale-Kingfield-Tangletown-Windom)

Postby LakeCharles » September 26th, 2018, 1:38 pm

A little bit down the way, but Apoy is now open as well. Stopped in at Open Streets, it was lively and the food was good. Definite improvement over the graveyard that Vicinity had become.

https://www.apoympls.com/

twincitizen

Re: South Nicollet Ave - Lake to Crosstown (Lyndale-Kingfield-Tangletown-Windom)

Postby twincitizen » April 9th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Looks like a project may be brewing on the SW corner of Nicollet and 43rd (kitty-corner from Revival). Midwest Cycle supply closed last year and Roadrunner Records just announced a move down the street (to 4534 Nicollet), the latter citing "they learned last year that their landlord planned to sell the property, and that it would be redeveloped."

If there is a redevelopment, my money is on it being Yellow Tree (or similar) - a smaller local developer that excels at delivering small-site projects with lowered parking ratios. As-is the Midwest/Roadrunner building sits on a 75' wide lot, with alley access. Seems unlikely the redevelopment site would expand to include the larger clinic property to the south, as there's a pretty stable (and needed) medical clinic user in there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 1st, 2020, 7:44 am

Looks like a project may be brewing on the SW corner of Nicollet and 43rd (kitty-corner from Revival). Midwest Cycle supply closed last year and Roadrunner Records just announced a move down the street (to 4534 Nicollet), the latter citing "they learned last year that their landlord planned to sell the property, and that it would be redeveloped."
This corner was the long-time home of Flyte Tyme studio (Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis) where a ridiculous number of hit records were recorded and produced. I think they moved out to a purpose-built studio in Edina around 1990 (also recently closed for redevelopment into housing). I'm as yimby as they get, but this seems a lot more historic to Minneapolis than a lot of the other claims of historicism we've seen around town.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: South Nicollet / Kingfield-Lyndale-Tangletown-Windom Neighborhoods

Postby LakeCharles » May 1st, 2020, 9:00 am

Really? Star Tribune claims it was 4330 Nicollet, where House Lift Remodeler is now.

https://www.startribune.com/it-s-the-en ... 491061091/

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 25th, 2020, 4:05 pm

via Southwest Journal:
A developer plans to build a 46-unit, six-level apartment building at the edge of the 43rd & Nicollet commercial district anchored by Revival and the Lowbrow.

The proposal calls for a building at 4220-30 Nicollet Ave. with 32 parking spaces accessed via two rear-alley ramps. The building would include a mix of units: 450-square-foot studios, a pair of two-bedrooms with private rooftop decks and two ground-floor walk-ups with patios facing Nicollet. In all, there would be 11 studios, 22 one-bedrooms and 14 two-bedrooms. Shared office spaces are planned for both the first and second levels. All units would have bike parking.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 21st, 2020, 10:40 am

From BizJournals (locked):

A proposed development in south Minneapolis would replace Curran’s, a neighborhood restaurant run by the same family for over seven decades, with a five-story apartment building.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » July 21st, 2020, 1:11 pm

From BizJournals (locked):

A proposed development in south Minneapolis would replace Curran’s, a neighborhood restaurant run by the same family for over seven decades, with a five-story apartment building.
Doesn't look like a bad proposal to me but I hope they include lower-level retail space.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 21st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Seems like probably not.
The units would be a mix of market-rate and affordable apartments, according to project documents. Proposed amenities in the nearly 72,000-square-foot building include a club room and fitness room off the first-floor lobby, rooftop patio and a dog washing area in the basement parking garage.
There's a lot of retail space just south of here, much of which is vacant.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2020, 4:46 pm

Here's the CPC COW packet. Staff is asking for feedback on that exact question, as the 2040 plan encourages, but doesn't require retail in Neighborhood Mixed Use zones.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 21st, 2020, 5:25 pm

There's a lot of retail space just south of here, much of which is vacant.
I'm not sure that's a fair statement. There's quite a bit of storefront at this node that might appear vacant, but is in fact occupied by office uses. There are a couple of recent closures that have happened, and then there's the soutwest quadrant of 43rd and Nicollet, which has been cleared out in advance of redevelopment.

Because of the way this site goes downhill from Nicollet, it's going to look like an absolute beast from the backside.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » July 24th, 2020, 8:54 am

Really sucks to lose Curran's, but the apartments seem as good a use as any for the property.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 5th, 2021, 11:24 am

I happened to see the 4220 Nicollet project last weekend and snapped a photo of it. I didn't notice whether anything was going on at the Curran's site up the street, though it's not a neighborhood I'm terribly familiar with in the first place.

PXL_20210529_142808123 by Michael Hicks, on Flickr

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 6th, 2021, 9:35 am

I drove by Curran’s the other day and I don’t recall seeing anything going on construction-wise at the site.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Correct. Nothing has happened at Curran's. Not sure if that is a sign of any change, or just them moving slowly.