Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John
Capella Tower

Mozaic (all phases)

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 6:41 pm

What's with the developer of this project? They were supposed to install this nice pattern of colored glass panels along the facade of the parking ramp. It really was the only decorative element that gave the building have some distinction and detracted from its suburban feel. Unfortunately, they only installed the blue and green panels which are spread too thinly along the surface, and look like an afterthought. A very regrettable decision on the part of Ackerberg. Makes the building look terrible. The new "City Center" of Uptown.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: Mozaic

Postby mplser » June 1st, 2012, 6:45 pm

all we can do is hope phase 2 (the long-awaited uptown hotel, perhaps?) will be beautiful enough for both buildings, and I also hope that it will tower over this ugly parking ramp.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 1st, 2012, 6:53 pm

All they really need to do is install the glass panels in a pattern similar to what the rendering of the development showed in the first place. Would be a huge improvement. A hotel in this area would be great!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 2nd, 2012, 7:52 am

This buildings an abomination. The rendering looks 5x better, and not just because of the colored panels.
Towns!

MN_Badger
Block E

Postby MN_Badger » June 2nd, 2012, 8:45 am

Having had the (dis)pleasure of inhabiting one of Clark Gassen's "condo" projects, I had a sneaking suspicion that corners would be cut on this one.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 2nd, 2012, 8:52 am

The rendering was definitely better than the final result. Uptown's version of the "City Center" complex in downtown Minneapolis.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » June 2nd, 2012, 3:59 pm

I never liked the project since it was revised from the original plan. It looked cheap even in the renderings.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 2nd, 2012, 4:12 pm

I asked someone at Ackerberg about this and I guess they can't cover the building more than it already is without installing mechanical ventilation to vent out all the car exhaust. Hopefully this doesn't impede large buildings from getting built in Uptown in the future.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 2nd, 2012, 5:24 pm

That makes total sense about the ventilation issue, and there would be a huge cost to install the proper ventilation. What a bummer. However, the facade of the parking garage could be revisited by the architects to improve its appearance with the introduction of another decorative element. The precast concrete siding can have things easily attached to it without impeding the ventilation inside the ramp. They should of considered this earlier when they realized they couldn't put up all the panels. I doubt they will do anything about it now. An unfortunately designed building that Uptown will have to live with for 40-50 years.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 3rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

What about colored mesh panels?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 3rd, 2012, 10:00 pm

What about colored mesh panels?
That would be really cool. And at night have them glow with back lighting.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 4th, 2012, 8:53 am

Maybe they can take a hint from the target field parking ramp? something similar?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 13th, 2012, 9:50 am

Does anyone have potential renderings of phase II? I remember the original plan being really grand and fantastic.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 10:11 am

I think they will have to go back to the drawing boards for that. I doubt that they will be able to get anywhere over 4 stories along the Greenway. At least in areas where it will create shadows in the winter.

I'd like to see a 4 level Hotel on the north area next to the Greenway. With the south area getting about 6 to 8 stories of Office or residential to complete it. Maybe cantilevering part of the south side to go over the exit and walkway on the south side of the property.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 13th, 2012, 12:14 pm

I think they will have to go back to the drawing boards for that. I doubt that they will be able to get anywhere over 4 stories along the Greenway. At least in areas where it will create shadows in the winter.

I'd like to see a 4 level Hotel on the north area next to the Greenway. With the south area getting about 6 to 8 stories of Office or residential to complete it. Maybe cantilevering part of the south side to go over the exit and walkway on the south side of the property.
Phase II was to be similar in size and scope....the last time I saw it. I saw massing models and Ph. II was the same size as the first, but juxtapositioned to be perpendicular to Ph. I.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Walked by Mozaic Today. They were running their water Feature. They have also added metal sculptures to the top of the 2 huge granite columns. The plaza is getting close to being finished, except for the area in front of the new restraunt. The Greenwall on the East wall is now growing up. By mid July it should be 60% filled out.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 14th, 2012, 9:28 am

I just saw this product online, awesome lace chain link... maybe that could help them out ;)

http://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.de/2012 ... o-art.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 14th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Love that fence
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » June 26th, 2012, 11:35 am

Mono is moving from it's current location abover Magers & Quinn to Mozaic:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ozaic.html

Interesting quote from the end of the story: "Ackerberg plans to begin marketing a second phase of the MoZaic project once the first phase reaches 80 percent occupancy. The next phase could include an additional 100,000 square feet of commercial space, though residential also is a possibility." The article says Mozaic is 57% leased right now.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 26th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Great to see this project filling up. Hopefully more developers notice and we see more commercial development in the future. I'm happy we have an apartment boom, but an office one would be so much better for our economy.