Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Douglas to Lake St)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Douglas to Lake St)

Postby MNdible » December 8th, 2021, 11:07 am

Some of the left turn lanes would appear to be comically short, especially given the consolidation of left turn locations that the plan is requiring. If you've got cars queueing up in the main traffic lane to get into the left turn lane, you've lost the benefit of providing the turn lane in the first place.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm

One oddity I forgot to add to my post: The city is moving the Hennepin/24th NB local bus stop to 24th and Dupont. I guess this means the 6 will take a right on 24th, pick up at Dupont, and then turn left on Dupont and turn back on to Hennepin? An interesting solution, though given how often buses are stopped there now (and how many cars make right turns in front of them), it's maybe a not-so-dumb solution.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » December 8th, 2021, 2:10 pm

My guess is that 6 (if it continues to exist post-E Line implementation as a duplicative local backup) will stay on Hennepin but simply not make a stop at 24th. i.e. NB stop after 25th will be Franklin Ave for both E Line and local routes.
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 8th, 2021, 3:38 pm

This is really exciting. It’s really nice to see that they are moving forward with the Hennepin reconstruction. My question is: how are they going to keep people from driving in the bus lanes, especially during peak hours? May they look at putting traffic cameras up that can detect if people are driving in the bus lanes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 8th, 2021, 3:39 pm

That would make sense. It's a long gap between stops for a local route, but stopping again just 700' north of the 25th St station isn't a great solution either.

According to the E Line draft plan, the 6 will remain post-E Line, running from Downtown Minneapolis to Minnesota Dr. via Xerxes every 20 minutes. A pretty elegant solution - extra service on the busiest part of the line, similar to the rump 21 proposed to run from Uptown to Hiawatha post-B Line, and maintains service to the other well-used branch, while still simplifying the map for all users.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 8th, 2021, 4:04 pm

It's interesting to see they're cutting off left turns on NB Hennepin to Franklin. It seems the alternative there is taking a left at 22nd. Similarly, they're making NB access to Kowalski's via 24th and converting that one-block stretch of Fremont back to two-way traffic.
It's hard for me to believe that compliance with the left turn ban at Franklin will be high. More likely it will mean a lot of people trying to make illegal left turns from the through lane, and a lot of frustrated drivers veering into the bus lane.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 8th, 2021, 4:14 pm

During rush hour people already ignore the left turn lane ban on Hennepin.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 8th, 2021, 7:02 pm

My guess is that 6 (if it continues to exist post-E Line implementation as a duplicative local backup) will stay on Hennepin but simply not make a stop at 24th. i.e. NB stop after 25th will be Franklin Ave for both E Line and local routes.
That would make sense, but the document says 24th and Hennepin’s stop is moving to 24th and DuPont. So unless Metro Transit plans to remove this route, it seems this is the solution?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 8th, 2021, 9:58 pm

That stop makes sense for the #17. It wouldn't be very logical to reroute the 6 like that.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 18th, 2022, 10:18 am

This is becoming a major NIMBY issue around here-- all of the worst people are opposing it. Do they pose a real threat to this project?
Towns!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 18th, 2022, 10:22 am

A threat to it happening at all? I don't think so. A threat to the staff-recommended layout, with dedicated bus lanes and a bikeway? Definitely. Contact the mayor and your CM!
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 18th, 2022, 12:29 pm

You will not be surprised to hear that Koski has not responded to my email.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 18th, 2022, 12:47 pm

If the residents don't support it and their CM doesn't. Then why should they be forced to have it? Are businesses paying assessments on this and not want it? These folks live, do business in the area and pay taxes...they should have a say just as much as those who want complete streets and etc. (Or does Koski support it?) I think we forget sometimes that residents views, even if they conflict with our ideals are the ones the neighborhood belongs to and who have to live with and often pay for these infrastructure improvements. It's their neighborhood, not mine. Maybe it is your neighborhood, then make your voice heard, but realize contrary voices also have value and purpose.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » January 18th, 2022, 1:08 pm

If the residents don't support it and their CM doesn't. Then why should they be forced to have it? Are businesses paying assessments on this and not want it? These folks live, do business in the area and pay taxes...they should have a say just as much as those who want complete streets and etc. (Or does Koski support it?) I think we forget sometimes that residents views, even if they conflict with our ideals are the ones the neighborhood belongs to and who have to live with and often pay for these infrastructure improvements. It's their neighborhood, not mine. Maybe it is your neighborhood, then make your voice heard, but realize contrary voices also have value and purpose.
The city used their power and enacted policies/laws about how public works should approach street redesigns. And now public works is following those policies. That is a good thing.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 18th, 2022, 1:28 pm

There is and was a public process on this reconstruction and design. Some residents and business owners, presumably after not following the process and hearings, are now falsely claiming they weren't given a chance to be "heard." That is the part that bothers me the most.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 18th, 2022, 1:39 pm

There is and was a public process on this reconstruction and design. Some residents and business owners, presumably after not following the process and hearings, are now falsely claiming they weren't given a chance to be "heard." That is the part that bothers me the most.
Or they gave their input, the city isn't doing what they said, and now they think it's the city not listening to them even though in reality the city did listen but went with other views. Can't make everyone happy, especially people who prefer the status quo.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 18th, 2022, 2:43 pm

I suspect that residents support it overall but who knows for sure?

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » January 18th, 2022, 3:44 pm

The really disappointing part is how cynical and unfounded the arguments against the project are.

Newsflash to businesses along Hennepin Avenue: your business is probably 90% from neighborhood residents who are walking and riding, and about 10% from suburban drivers. Not only that, but there's ample parking nearby!

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 18th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Koski..... the two city councilmembers that border Hennepin Ave S are Goodman and Chughtai. Chughtai supports it, while Goodman does not.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 18th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Newsflash to businesses along Hennepin Avenue: your business is probably 90% from neighborhood residents who are walking and riding, and about 10% from suburban drivers. Not only that, but there's ample parking nearby!
What percentage is from neighborhood residents that drive over?
What percentage is from people that drive from elsewhere in the city?
What makes us random internet commentators more knowledgeable than a business owner about where a business owners customers come from?

This coming from someone with no skin in the game and no preference as to the actual layout since I don't own a business on Hennepin nor use Hennepin in any form (and don't know how to parallel park even if I did).