Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Postby Silophant » January 27th, 2022, 3:42 pm

I'm 100% confident there also would have been significant delays with a cut and cover tunnel under streets as old as Nicollet or Hennepin. Which is not to say that it wouldn't have been worth it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 27th, 2022, 4:43 pm

And of course, the tunnel they're trying to build today wasn't the only technical solution to using the Kenilworth. There were much simpler options, but this was the solution that those in control had the political will to execute (even though it was more expensive and riskier).

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » January 27th, 2022, 5:58 pm

I guess this whole situation is summed up by the phrase: they're in a hole and they're keeping on digging (and asking more money and time to do it)

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » January 28th, 2022, 1:58 pm

There's only one contractor working on the line right?
Cause if so I might be willing to bet that construction on the rest of the line might slow down a bit due to the contractor pulling workers and resources to try and get the tunnel down faster. But then again I don't how said contractor works or if there's any rules in place preventing them from doing so.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » January 28th, 2022, 2:15 pm

I think it's a joint venture between two contractors

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » January 30th, 2022, 10:50 am

So with all that time due to the delay, are they going to do any investigation to see who made a mistake so they can delay their paycheck for 3 years!?

…or is the delay not big enough to warrant time for such a investigation process? 🤨

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 30th, 2022, 12:37 pm

So with all that time due to the delay, are they going to do any investigation to see who made a mistake so they can delay their paycheck for 3 years!?

…or is the delay not big enough to warrant time for such a investigation process? Image
Sen. Dibble plans on launching an audit for the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » January 31st, 2022, 1:40 am

Hopefully ridership at 21st will be high enough to make this all worth it. But somehow I just don't think it will.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 31st, 2022, 7:44 am

Hopefully ridership at 21st will be high enough to make this all worth it. But somehow I just don't think it will.
Metro Transit is going to have to extend the Route 2 to that station, it’s the only way ridership is going to be fed into that station.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » January 31st, 2022, 9:15 am

Metro Transit is going to have to extend the Route 2 to that station, it’s the only way ridership is going to be fed into that station.

I think there will be a decent amount of riders near Hennepin and immediately to the west that would take the 2 to the Green line westbound. But not a substantial amount.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 31st, 2022, 9:28 am

I'm gonna buy an origami kayak, take it on the Green Line, get off at West 21st Street Station, and launch at Cedar Lake beach.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » January 31st, 2022, 11:27 am

I think a lot of people will use it recreationally. Especially with plans to flesh out a little more of cedar lakes Park area to the north. It reminds me of being in Berlin and taking the train to Wanssee or something like that, and those stops were heavily used. Might be to the chagrin of the neighborhood but more people deserve access to the lakes and recreation too.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » January 31st, 2022, 12:04 pm

I think a lot of people will use it recreationally. Especially with plans to flesh out a little more of cedar lakes Park area to the north. It reminds me of being in Berlin and taking the train to Wanssee or something like that, and those stops were heavily used. Might be to the chagrin of the neighborhood but more people deserve access to the lakes and recreation too.
Absolutely, cause currently many of our regional parks are inaccessible on public transit.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » January 31st, 2022, 12:35 pm

Yes. Tons of people drive and park in this area on nice days anyways. I actually think most of the immediate neighbors will be/are fine with it. The streets full of cars is definitely more annoying/impactful, and there are zero homes between the station and the lake. Of course there is a contingent that thinks the station will bring in the undesirables but the beach already brings a diverse group to the neighborhood, they're just driving there.
Towns!

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » January 31st, 2022, 11:26 pm

Yes. Tons of people drive and park in this area on nice days anyways. I actually think most of the immediate neighbors will be/are fine with it. The streets full of cars is definitely more annoying/impactful, and there are zero homes between the station and the lake. Of course there is a contingent that thinks the station will bring in the undesirables but the beach already brings a diverse group to the neighborhood, they're just driving there.
Is this the same contingent that went batshit crazy when the routing was decided and tried everything to block it?

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » January 31st, 2022, 11:35 pm

Wasn't access to the park supposed to be the main draw of 50th Street/Minnehaha Park station.
And wasn't boardings/departures at said station the lowest on the blue line.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 31st, 2022, 11:43 pm

So... that new Strib opinion … on brand.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 1st, 2022, 12:05 am

Wasn't access to the park supposed to be the main draw of 50th Street/Minnehaha Park station.
And wasn't boardings/departures at said station the lowest on the blue line.
Doesn't help that you have to cross Highway 55/Hiawatha Avenue. I don't have the ridership stats to prove it but I thought Bloomington Central Station and American Boulevard Station were the lowest on the Blue Line. I'm sure Minnehaha Park Station ranks low on the amount of ridership, but despite the highway barrier it's still a decent access point to a very popular recreational area in the Twin Cities.
So... that new Strib opinion … on brand.
The one by Mary Pattock? Some fair criticism was raised, but then there was the fear mongering about light rail trains operating alongside freight trains, as if that type of operation doesn't happen anywhere else on Earth. :roll:

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 1st, 2022, 1:52 am

Does anyone know how transit ridership is modeled? I've been thinking over this a lot since the delay on the tunnel and how we got into this mess in the first place. I feel like transit ridership projections are often extremely inaccurate for how often they are the deciding point for an important corridor decision.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 1st, 2022, 8:01 am

Is this the same contingent that went batshit crazy when the routing was decided and tried everything to block it?
No. If they were in the immediate area they’ve already moved. (I’m talking the ~2 block radius, not the whole of kenwood)
Towns!