Does Minneapolis have too many stoplights?

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Does Minneapolis have too many stoplights?

Postby Mdcastle » January 31st, 2022, 12:37 pm

Nah, that's a late 1950s- late 1970s vintage Eagle Signal "flatback" model so it's been there a while. Lots of now unwarranted signals still left over from the pre-interstate days when there was more traffic on city streets.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 1st, 2022, 10:24 am

It might (ETA: not sure why I said might, I don't question Monte on these things) pre-date the bike boulevard, but that's its function now. Think it's a pretty long cycle if no one pushes the bike button.

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » February 1st, 2022, 7:05 pm

The traffic signal at Cedar avenue and E. 40th Street IS there because of the bike boulevard. I use it as a pedestrian periodically too since it's nearly a/2 mile between 38th and 42nd Streets and Cedar Avenue has extremely high traffic speeds.

Uptown46
Metrodome

Postby Uptown46 » February 1st, 2022, 8:11 pm

The traffic light on Cedar long predates the River-Lake Greenway. Back in the 90s when the route was initially planned they noted that 40th Street was selected in part because the bridge over 35W and the traffic light to cross Cedar already existed. The signal was modified ca. 2010 when the bike boulevard was put in to add the cross buttons pointed towards the bike lanes, but the rest was existing. The story I had heard was the light was originally put in to facilitate kids crossing Cedar to get to Sibley park. There is no cycle on the light - it is always green on Cedar unless a pedestrian or bike pushes the button or a car on 40th crosses the sensor. That said it starts to change immediately when a button is pushed.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 2nd, 2022, 10:15 am

That all makes sense. And I thought so about the light cycle but haven't been over there in awhile (kid briefly went to preschool at Sibley).

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 7th, 2022, 12:29 am

I wonder if the city could reuse more old traffic signals to allow pedestrians and bicycles to cross busy streets. The intersection on Cedar near the Lund's could use something.