Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Anondson » April 29th, 2022, 1:09 pm

Add tire popping spikes to the tops of the curbs.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 29th, 2022, 1:17 pm

I haven't used those cycle tracks so I don't know what they're like, but if it's like the cycle tracks on 66th Street in Richfield then there's a lot of side streets and driveways where you have to slow down and prepare to stop because motorists insist on stopping right on top of the cycle track crossing. It's definitely an improvement from before the cycle tracks, but it's not like cycle tracks in Copenhagen and Amsterdam where the cycle track crossing is level and traffic has to go over a slight speed bump. Instead the cycle track crossings in Richfield are only protected with paint.

Example in Richfield: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8835285 ... authuser=0

Example in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3791533 ... authuser=0

If cyclists have to do a lot of slowing down and lose their momentum to safely cross many side streets and driveways then you've probably found the reason why they prefer being on the road.
It's all residential driveways and streets. I haven't experienced this problem on them. The transitions from the roads as you cross them are smooth for cyclists given that road goes up to level of the cycletrack.

It also isn't cyclists riding the speed of traffic. It's just appears cyclists appear to prefer the street. If that's what people want to do, I rather they just scrapped the cycletracks and left it as a green space or for stormwater/rain gardens. The hypothesis supporting cycletracks in this case appears to be null.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 29th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Sorry, the argument being made here is that because a single half-mile cycletrack hasn't been well-used when you've watched it, then the city should eliminate cycletracks altogether?

You'll have to forgive the rest of us for not finding that case especially airtight.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 29th, 2022, 2:38 pm

We're all just sharing anecdotes for the most part, but whenever I've found myself on a bike riding on a cycle track along another cyclist riding in the street, I can't help but notice that they're the kinds of cyclists who are riding a bike worth more than my car and have enough confidence/hubris to believe that they will be safe no matter where they ride.

They're not who we're building cycle tracks for in the first place, and their existence shouldn't be a reason to conclude that they're a waste of time and effort.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » May 15th, 2022, 5:59 pm

I tried out the cycle tracks on Plymouth Avenue in both directions today. This is anecdotal of course but I saw six other bikers, all of whom were also using the cycle tracks. The crossings at driveways and side streets are nice and smooth, and I like that some of the crossings have a slight hump so cars will slow way down as they're approaching the crossing (in theory anyways). Overall it seems better designed than the cycle tracks along 66th Street in Richfield.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 16th, 2022, 3:19 pm

I tried out the cycle tracks on Plymouth Avenue in both directions today. This is anecdotal of course but I saw six other bikers, all of whom were also using the cycle tracks. The crossings at driveways and side streets are nice and smooth, and I like that some of the crossings have a slight hump so cars will slow way down as they're approaching the crossing (in theory anyways). Overall it seems better designed than the cycle tracks along 66th Street in Richfield.
They are nice and more casual cyclists are out using them. The only improvement they need is better markings at Penn Ave. You have to use the regular pedestrian curb cuts.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 17th, 2022, 9:55 am

All bike infrastructure should be for casual riders :)

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 17th, 2022, 11:44 am

So, not like the Washington Ave cycletracks or a typical painted lane.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Washington cycletracks allow you to pull to the side, check your phone, take a picture, etc. Those are casual bikeways. Painted lines are utter trash and the standard should be that of a fully protected space.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 17th, 2022, 4:49 pm

YMMV, but as a "casual" bicyclist there's no way I'd consider the Washington Ave cycletracks a "casual" bikeway. You're still just what seems like inches away from cars and even that curb completely disappears near intersections leaving nothing but paint. Richfield feels so much safer with the grassy boulevard. I rode it once and was absolutely terrified out of my mind compared to the Richfield cycletracks or a typical MUP.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 18th, 2022, 8:29 am

Sounds like you just want to create an argument here

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 18th, 2022, 8:38 am

Do you consider yourself a "casual bicyclist"? If you do, then we obviously have a difference of opinion and different comfort levels with various infrastructure within the category of "casual bicyclist". If you're don't, who do you think is a better judge of what infrastructure is appropriate for casual bicyclists? An actual casual bicyclist or someone that it not?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 18th, 2022, 9:10 am

So, not like the Washington Ave cycletracks or a typical painted lane.
You can see them in the dark grey on the left and right. I would say they are for casual cyclists. The families and parkgoers are using them, while more serious cyclists or those with attitude seem to be taking to the street which makes no sense to me since they are separated enough from the sidewalk and have no curb bumps. You can maintain speed just as well on the road as you can on the cycletracks.

...by the way I'm a recovering serious cyclist...haha...used to be serious, but got tired of the cycling culture. My bike is still my car however.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 18th, 2022, 9:24 am

Is this Washington Ave? The cyclectracks I'm referring to are the ones downtown that have no boulevard space like these do. I'd be fine riding on the ones in the picture.

dillonfried
City Center

Postby dillonfried » May 20th, 2022, 5:59 am

16+ year bike commuter here. I have a lot of anxiety over cycle tracks. The truly dangerous part of urban cycling is at intersections. The faster a motorist is driving the more narrow their cone of vision and cycle tracks put cyclists at the periphery of the street. I've had several close calls at intersections on Washington, I feel it's because the street design just enables cars to move faster and not see cyclists. I wish more traditional traffic calming features were incorporated with streets that have cycle tracks to slow cars down. Better mixing zones to get cyclists in motorists field of vision would really help too.

eazydp
Metrodome

Postby eazydp » June 2nd, 2022, 2:47 pm

My experience with the cycle tracks has been mixed... If I am understanding the definition correctly. Basically the sidewalk extends and has a different paint color, so the bike route is on the sidewalk edge.

Things I like: they are more permanent; more difficult for a car to block or drive in/on.

Things I do not like: rode my bike to a Timberwolves game, people just thought it was the sidewalk and blocked it horribly (Hennepin); the constant up/down on each intersection is not great; other general consensus that it makes it harder for you to be seen, so many times you might not be seen, especially roads which are frequented by non-locals (washington).

Overall I agree with dillionfried, they work great if traffic is also calmed in order to slow down cars. Drivers who are uncomfortable are more aware in my experience.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 3rd, 2022, 10:39 am

i think getting cars to go slower is the key to any design that co mingles with traffic at all.
Towns!

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » June 6th, 2022, 11:41 am

Hennepin County, Minneapolis, Edina, and St. Louis Park are all working as one to create bike lanes from Excelsior Ave to 49th St. This will be a connection of the following Bike Lanes:
38th St.
42nd St.
44th St.
47th St.
49th St.
North Cedar Lake Regional Trail which becomes the Midtown Greenway.

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepi ... erview.pdf

https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/hennepi ... layout.pdf

If you would like to help push this important N-S bike lane proposal through (construction slated to start in 2024), please send something to the key players who are the decision makers:

Carl Reim – Hennepin County Planning Analyst
[email protected]

Linea Palmisano – Minneapolis City Council
[email protected]

Larry Kraft – SLP Council at Large
[email protected]

Nadia Mohamed – SLP Council at Large
[email protected]

Lynette Dumalag - SLP Ward 2 Council Person
[email protected]

Edina City Council and Edina Mayor
[email protected]

Marion Greene - Hennepin County Rep.
[email protected]

Sean Walther – SLP Planning manager of the Community Development Dept.
[email protected]

I sent the following letter:

________________,

My neighbors and I just were made aware of plans to add a bike lane to France Avenue from Excelsior Boulevard to 49th St. As a citizen of St. Louis Park who lives a 3 minute bike ride down 44th from France Ave., this was very exciting news to hear. France Avenue is a great location for a bike lane for several reasons:
- It connects the east-west bike lanes of 38th St., 42nd St., 44th St., 47th St., 49th St., and makes connection the North Cedar Lake Regional trails that takes one to the Midtown Greenway and west onto downtown Hopkins.
- It connects citizens of S, SW, and downtown Minneapolis to the 50th and France area.
- It’s an avenue which are primarily single-family homes with the exception of the 44th St. commercial node. This area has plenty of on street parking at the cross streets to access on 44th St. and Sunnyside Road since this commercial node is a 1/3rd of a block long. I’ve never had to walk further than ¼ of a block to access the businesses at this commercial node. Additionally, several of these businesses have their own dedicated parking lots.
- France Avenue on this stretch has very few signalized intersections. This allows bikers to not lose cadence when biking north or south along the stretch of this new bike lane.

It makes a lot of sense for bike commuters and for people to become less reliant on cars to get from destination to destination. The City of Edina has been planning for this to be a bike lane at least since 2018. St. Louis Park has it as a goal to have a bikeway on their portion of France Ave from 40th St. to Randall Avenue (a couple blocks north of Excelsior). The City of Minneapolis has had this stretch of France Ave. on the agenda to make a bike lane since their 2011 Bicycle Master Plan. It seems all the local governments that this new bike lane borders are in agreement that this is of mutual benefit for all the citizens that reside in the area.

I look forward to being able to take this bike route with my kid in my cargo bike and my wife biking to get to local destination at 50th and France and as a connection to the Midtown Greenway and Cedar Lake Regional Trail.

My recommendation is that the county considers making these bike lanes protected bike lanes by using jersey barriers, curbs, or bollards at a minimum. That would greatly increase the safety of bicyclist of all ages, races, and capabilities, and would increase use by people who don’t feel comfortable biking adjacent to traffic with no protective barriers.

We can’t wait to bike on the new bike lanes in 2024!

Author
Address

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 6th, 2022, 2:00 pm

Nextdoor is responding to this as if someone proposed a toxic waste dump at 44th and France. As expected.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 7th, 2022, 7:30 am

Can someone explain what the story is behind the Summit Ave proposal(s)? I get the sense there is already drama. These are some more important bike facilities in the cities.