Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Re: Minneapolis City Politics General Discussion

Postby Tom H. » August 11th, 2022, 10:11 am

(Conjecture and speculation warning) His biography always struck me as that of someone with higher political ambitions - and I doubt that the mayoralty (as great as the gig may be) is likely where he views his endgame. The urban/rural divide being what it is, I don't think a jump straight to a statewide office, like governor, would be wise for him at this point, so I agree that running in CD-05 would be a logical next step for him (likely as a stepping stone to something else).

Alternatively, running for another mayoral term while bulking up his "centrist" bona fides by continuing to clash with Omar could potentially set him up as a Walz heir apparent, I suppose.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 11th, 2022, 10:16 am

A potential Frey 2024 run is what is called a "free shot" - even if he loses he gets to keep his mayor job since it's not on the ballot at the same time. So they (Chamber of Commerce) might find it worthwhile. I don't think him losing against Ilhan will damage him that much and the upside is that he could win. That doesn't seem likely right now but it's way too far away to think much deeper than that right now.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » August 11th, 2022, 12:04 pm

I know this is the Minneapolis thread, but I'm much more interested in Melvin Carter's future then Frey's. I tend to think the Frey well has been poisoned by the last few years, but Carter has come out unscathed.

Tuesday's primary demonstrated that it's McCollum's 4th as long as she wants it, but she's gotta be toward the end of her career, right? Carter seems like the obvious fill-in when she moves on. Maybe I'm missing someone, but I can't think of another CD-04 elected who could even compete with Carter.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm

No small part of Frey's win was "the moderates strike back," but it helped that he was facing off against two candidates with little to no name recognition from the get-go. That would not be the case if he were to face off against Ilhan, who has the national profile to haul in a lot of money if she chooses to do so.

The CD5 race was awfully close this time, but it seems like that was at least in part an enthusiasm and expectations gap. I think Ilhan's base hates Frey much more than they do Samuels, and I imagine there would be extra motivation. Maybe not the worst thing - we need all the energy we can get in 2024.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 11th, 2022, 1:48 pm

I know this is the Minneapolis thread, but I'm much more interested in Melvin Carter's future then Frey's. I tend to think the Frey well has been poisoned by the last few years, but Carter has come out unscathed.

Tuesday's primary demonstrated that it's McCollum's 4th as long as she wants it, but she's gotta be toward the end of her career, right? Carter seems like the obvious fill-in when she moves on. Maybe I'm missing someone, but I can't think of another CD-04 elected who could even compete with Carter.
For whatever reason I have the feeling that Melvin would rather run for governor than CD4 House rep, especially if the GOP takes the majority. It seems like he's the kind of candidate that could get the DFL nomination anyways, with neither progressives or moderates opposed to him. As for the Senate, Amy and Tina are 62 and 64, respectively. While either could certainly aspire to be the next Dianne Feinstein and serve several more terms, I wouldn't be shocked if Tina doesn't run in 2026. Assuming Melvin cruises to another Mayoral term in 2025, he'd be well suited for that Senate run.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » August 11th, 2022, 4:10 pm

For whatever reason I have the feeling that Melvin would rather run for governor than CD4 House rep, especially if the GOP takes the majority. It seems like he's the kind of candidate that could get the DFL nomination anyways, with neither progressives or moderates opposed to him. As for the Senate, Amy and Tina are 62 and 64, respectively. While either could certainly aspire to be the next Dianne Feinstein and serve several more terms, I wouldn't be shocked if Tina doesn't run in 2026. Assuming Melvin cruises to another Mayoral term in 2025, he'd be well suited for that Senate run.
Very true, Carter would make a good candidate for statewide races too, but those will be much more crowded primaries. If Carter wants to ensure he stays in the game, CD-04 is his for the taking, whereas by making a run for a Senate seat or the governorship, he would be risking a major primary lose that could stop his career short. Carter could win a statewide primary, but he may rather avoid the risk.

OTOH, Frey could not win a statewide primary unless the field was cleared for him. He's too progressive for the moderates and too moderate for the progressives, plus his mayoral term has not exactly been a shining example of competency.

The DFL has lots of rising names that could make statewide runs, but I don't think Frey's one of them.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 11th, 2022, 8:01 pm

Frey is conservative. Outside of hosting a pro gay marriage foot race he’s always been revanchist.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 12th, 2022, 12:37 pm

I would argue that Frey is not necessarily conservative, he just doesn't stand for anything. Whatever he perceives it will take to get to the next thing. Right now that means Supporting Our Troops (murderous cops).

And yes, Melvin Carter is the more compelling of the Twin Cities mayors in all the ways. I liked Chris Coleman better than RT too. Their post-mayoral careers say it all - Minneapolis Foundation (spending rich people's money) vs. Habitat for Humanity (materially improving lives).

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » December 8th, 2022, 9:36 am

Extremely detailed Kingfield resident Josh Martin maintains a directory that tracks nearly all ongoing political machinations within Minneapolis: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ujl ... sp=sharing

He is also handling the 2023 council candidate tracker, with multiple candidates currently announced in wards 3, 6 and 12: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12xx ... ue&sd=true

Minneapolis caucus date is evening of Tuesday, March 14, with 13 ward conventions to take place in April-May TBD.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 8th, 2022, 10:57 am

[Quick reminder that caucuses are terrible and should be eliminated.]

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » December 8th, 2022, 3:55 pm

Do you want Mike Erlandson instead of Keith Ellison for Congress? MAK instead of Ilhan? That's what happens when you get rid of caucuses.

If you don't like it don't participate. The alternative is worse.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 8th, 2022, 4:32 pm

If your suggestion is that the enlightened few who show up for caucuses save us from the tyranny of unsophisticated DFL primary voters, I'd say that's a telling but not particularly compelling argument.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » December 8th, 2022, 4:36 pm

I grew up under Mayor Daley and the Cook County Democratic Machine. What I'm saying is that money buys elections, except in caucus states where grassroots organization is prejudiced over name recognition. Be mad about it if you want.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » December 9th, 2022, 12:06 pm

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 14th, 2022, 9:47 pm

Frey has already said he would veto the rent control plan that is 3% cap with some exceptions.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 28th, 2023, 11:40 am

The Minneapolis City Council today voted to not move rent stabilization to the November ballot while 3 Muslim council members were out due to Eid.

They could have easily moved to vote to the next city council meeting, this is truly the most insensitive thing this city council majority has ever done.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 28th, 2023, 3:14 pm

I agree the council majority screwed up, but moving the vote to next meeting would have pushed the timeline back enough such that it wouldn't be able to be placed on the ballot, so it would have died anyway. Once the meeting started, the only way would have been advancing the motion.

I don't really understand how no one considered this until Monday. Just feels like no one involved is paying much attention.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » June 28th, 2023, 3:46 pm

The meeting was also originally scheduled in an attempt to avoid the holiday. It all feels messier and much less politically salacious than some are trying to claim.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » June 28th, 2023, 4:02 pm

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

However, some of the people on the council routinely blame mediocrity as a reason to do nothing (see: Palmisano's logic that because we do a bad job plowing streets, we shouldn't even try to plow sidewalks), so it's not a major leap to see disorganized scheduling as a cynical way to delay policy the person who demanded to be put in charge of all the departments doesn't want to see pass.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 29th, 2023, 7:09 am

Frey was absolutely going to veto this, and the council definitely didn't have the votes to override, so it was dead either way.