Maplewood, North St Paul, & Oakdale - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Maplewood, North St Paul, & Oakdale - General Topics

Postby Bakken2016 » March 6th, 2022, 10:10 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... 2022-03-06

Great, a drive up coffee place…. I can understand no lobby, but how hard would it be to add a walk up window…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 6th, 2022, 7:13 pm

IRC the Mankato Dunkin' cited pedestrian safety due to them having to cross the drive-thru lane and security as reasons they didn't want to build a walk-up window. But the "Caribou Cabin" concepts that are going up everywhere don't seem to have any issues.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 22nd, 2022, 5:49 pm

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 22nd, 2022, 7:21 pm

Hopefully this is the first of many to redevelop the whole Maplewood Mall super block. Interesting that they say there is a future road planned for the east side of the Myth property. That makes me think a new grid is planned out.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 22nd, 2022, 7:25 pm

Does anyone like shop at malls any more? I think it's been 10 years since I've been inside of one.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » September 23rd, 2022, 7:34 am

Does anyone like shop at malls any more? I think it's been 10 years since I've been inside of one.
I go inside the EP mall very occasionally, but it's ghost-like, outside of the movie theater. The biggest draws there (Target and Scheels) are not really primarily oriented to the mall interior, so they might as well be stand-alone.

Seems to me like most malls will follow one of two paths: (1) the Southdale path, with gradual intensifying of outlots, and integrating the mall proper as the centerpiece of a more urban-ish environment; or (2) the Brookdale path, a.k.a total redevelopment. I don't really see the middle ground / status quo path being feasible for most malls.

Seems like Maplewood Mall is candidate for (1), whereas something like Southtown is clearly on the path to (2). If I had to guess, I'd say EP Center and Rosedale are probably the most likely candidates to be successful Southdale-like intensifications, after Southdale itself. Transit connections seem key - Southdale gets the E Line, Rosedale has A Line, and Maplewood gets the Purple Line (hopefully). A better SWLRT connection to the EP Center would have been nice, but that ship has sailed.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » September 23rd, 2022, 9:23 am

I go inside the EP mall very occasionally, but it's ghost-like, outside of the movie theater. The biggest draws there (Target and Scheels) are not really primarily oriented to the mall interior, so they might as well be stand-alone.

Seems to me like most malls will follow one of two paths: (1) the Southdale path, with gradual intensifying of outlots, and integrating the mall proper as the centerpiece of a more urban-ish environment; or (2) the Brookdale path, a.k.a total redevelopment. I don't really see the middle ground / status quo path being feasible for most malls.

Seems like Maplewood Mall is candidate for (1), whereas something like Southtown is clearly on the path to (2). If I had to guess, I'd say EP Center and Rosedale are probably the most likely candidates to be successful Southdale-like intensifications, after Southdale itself. Transit connections seem key - Southdale gets the E Line, Rosedale has A Line, and Maplewood gets the Purple Line (hopefully). A better SWLRT connection to the EP Center would have been nice, but that ship has sailed.
Northtown still is decently busy and I'm sure the F Line will help it to remain busy. But it still has way too much parking and is ripe for some redevelopment of parking lots.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 24th, 2022, 7:03 pm

There were plans to build a hotel on an empty parcel west of the Myth (in addition to the Myth being replaced), though I heard recently they were changing that to apartments instead. I couldn't find that project in either hotel or apartment form on the city website.

Br4dM
Block E

Postby Br4dM » September 26th, 2022, 7:31 am

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 1st, 2022, 12:07 am

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 1st, 2022, 9:48 am

Have we seen the redevelopment plans? This mentions 500 apartments with 287 adjacent to the mall. That’s news to me.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 1st, 2022, 10:09 am

287 units is close to the 241 units proposed to replace Myth, but there's nothing else on the City of Maplewood's development project site.

I wonder if the current owner had as-of-yet unrevealed redevelopment plans in the works that they're including with the sale, in case the new owner wants to just pick up where they left off?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 1st, 2022, 10:37 am

287 units is close to the 241 units proposed to replace Myth, but there's nothing else on the City of Maplewood's development project site.

I wonder if the current owner had as-of-yet unrevealed redevelopment plans in the works that they're including with the sale, in case the new owner wants to just pick up where they left off?
That's exactly what I was thinking too! With the Sears on the south end abandoned and the Purple Line (hopefully) connecting to the site, you think it would be really attractive to redeveloping some of the empty parking lots and vacant store fronts.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » December 9th, 2022, 9:09 am

Have we seen the redevelopment plans? This mentions 500 apartments with 287 adjacent to the mall. That’s news to me.
I spoke with Maplewood Mayor Marylee Abrams about this a couple months ago when we were chatting about Purple Line. Seritage (Sears building owner) is proposing to redevelop the Sears site with apartments, green space, and integration with Purple Line. I think this would be good for the mall as well.

I don't really do a lot of shopping, but Maplewood Mall has been been decently busy when I do go in there. Not Rosedale levels of busy but it seems to be holding its own. Sears wing still looks like a dead mall, though.