Re: Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Postby daveybabymsp » February 16th, 2023, 9:12 pm

Can we just fill in the tunnel and do it at grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 16th, 2023, 11:57 pm

Buy out the condos for 10x fair market value and still save money over the damn tunnel.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » February 20th, 2023, 12:27 pm

I wonder if an at-grade LRT track AND an underground bike trail would have been a cheaper option from the start?

Just imagine, a somewhat-heated winter tunnel to warm up in during a long bike commute during the cold winters OR a cooler shaded tunnel to cool off in briefly during a hot summer commute. I don't know about you but it isn't the worst idea ever! :D

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 20th, 2023, 4:02 pm

The proposed elevating the trail over the LRT was between $50-100M. Bike tunnel though… can’t think it would need to be as deep but strengthening to support the weight above…

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » February 20th, 2023, 6:36 pm

Is it too late to switch to the 3C…..

I am guessing there would have been a LOT more tunnels and unexpected impediments if they had gone route 3c...

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 21st, 2023, 8:19 am

I am guessing there would have been a LOT more tunnels and unexpected impediments if they had gone route 3c...
Like maybe yeah, but it would have been worth it. The tunnel in Kenwood is to appease NIMBYs and the ridership at 21st Station is going to probably be worse then Bloomington Central.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 21st, 2023, 11:02 am

I wonder if an at-grade LRT track AND an underground bike trail would have been a cheaper option from the start?

Just imagine, a somewhat-heated winter tunnel to warm up in during a long bike commute during the cold winters OR a cooler shaded tunnel to cool off in briefly during a hot summer commute. I don't know about you but it isn't the worst idea ever! :D
It sounds like a great draw for people suffering from homelessness.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » February 21st, 2023, 11:34 am

Like maybe yeah, but it would have been worth it. The tunnel in Kenwood is to appease NIMBYs and the ridership at 21st Station is going to probably be worse then Bloomington Central.
I'm curious if would be worthwhile for Minneapolis Parks & Recreation to develop a Pavilion at Hidden Beach as a result of this station.

It looks like the draft plan only includes restrooms.
https://www.minneapolisparks.org/wp-con ... arkway.pdf
Last edited by HuskyGrad on February 21st, 2023, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 21st, 2023, 12:41 pm

That would make sense to add more amenities. I would imagine that all three of the nearby lakes are going to get an influx of visitors due to the proximity of the light rail.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 21st, 2023, 3:31 pm

The Luminary Loppet was a parking nightmare. The stations near the lakes will help for events like that.

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » February 22nd, 2023, 1:06 am

I meant intersecting with other tunnels and infrastructure in the ground.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 22nd, 2023, 11:21 am

There are going to be three really low ridership stops on the Mpls portion of the SWLRT, but the Bassett Creek Valley Station and Bryn Mawr Station bug me more than the 21st Street Station for two reasons. First, the 21st Street Station should allow for a useful connection with the #2 bus. Second, I'm super nostalgic for the time I spent studying abroad in Oslo where I could take the T-Bane all the way to Sognvann (a lake) and I think it will be cool for the Twin Cities to have an LRT stop with great lake access. Parks aren't great trip generators, but you can make a strong equity case for good public transit access to green spaces.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 22nd, 2023, 11:24 am

There are going to be three really low ridership stops on the Mpls portion of the SWLRT, but the Bassett Creek Valley Station and Bryn Mawr Station bug me more than the 21st Street Station for two reasons. First, the 21st Street Station should allow for a useful connection with the #2 bus. Second, I'm super nostalgic for the time I spent studying abroad in Oslo where I could take the T-Bane all the way to Sognvann (a lake) and I think it will be cool for the Twin Cities to have an LRT stop with great lake access. Parks aren't great trip generators, but you can make a strong equity case for good public transit access to green spaces.
I remember a planner compared the 21st Street Station with 50th Street Station on the Blue Line. It doesn't necessarily justify its presence with ridership, but planners wanted to emphasize good connections to our parks.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 22nd, 2023, 2:56 pm

It may be a pipe dream, but I think there's still a decent chance that the Bassett Creek Valley station will eventually be surrounded by some pretty dense TOD.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 22nd, 2023, 2:58 pm

It may be a pipe dream, but I think there's still a decent chance that the Bassett Creek Valley station will eventually be surrounded by some pretty dense TOD.
yeah there is a lot of developable land right there! Along with the existing Harrison neighborhood!

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » February 22nd, 2023, 3:02 pm

There are going to be three really low ridership stops on the Mpls portion of the SWLRT, but the Bassett Creek Valley Station and Bryn Mawr Station bug me more than the 21st Street Station for two reasons.
It would be nice to have a understanding of what happens to buses once SWLRT starting up. But, I could see the opportunity for a circulator to connect the West End with Bryn Mawr Station along Wayzata Blvd or a new bus route that runs along Wayzata then down Louisiana connecting two SWLRT stations and the Louisiana Transit Center.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 22nd, 2023, 3:34 pm

There are going to be three really low ridership stops on the Mpls portion of the SWLRT, but the Bassett Creek Valley Station and Bryn Mawr Station bug me more than the 21st Street Station for two reasons.
It would be nice to have a understanding of what happens to buses once SWLRT starting up. But, I could see the opportunity for a circulator to connect the West End with Bryn Mawr Station along Wayzata Blvd or a new bus route that runs along Wayzata then down Louisiana connecting two SWLRT stations and the Louisiana Transit Center.
Metro Transit starts connecting bus service plans usually like 2 years before revenue operations.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 22nd, 2023, 3:43 pm

Everyone's always down on 21st St Station, but I think Bryn Mawr is what's really going to turn out to be SWLRT's equivalent of Bloomington Central Station. At least it's also the most expensive station on the line, with its elevator tower and 400' skyway over to a freeway interchange.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 22nd, 2023, 3:53 pm

At least the skyway will also provide another access to Cedar Lake and the trails from the north side.