Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby Trademark » February 3rd, 2023, 11:32 am

A little frustrating that they're not currently considering removing stops on Central - this is the perfect time to change that up, no one even remembers where the stops were back in 2018 anyway. Guess that's what the comments are for, though.
I think the reason why they aren't removing stops on Central is because it will serve as a kind of local overlay with the reduced stops on the F Line. Unlike the D Line there won't be a local bus route running the entire way. So it makes sense that they want a bus in a dense area to stop more frequently while another one stops less frequently.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 3rd, 2023, 12:54 pm

Asking for feedback on reduced, consolidated, relocating stops on route 17.

https://www.metrotransit.org/route-17
I'm a big fan of sending the 17W over to Central and Lowry, to allow more access to that area and connections.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 3rd, 2023, 1:54 pm

Asking for feedback on reduced, consolidated, relocating stops on route 17.

https://www.metrotransit.org/route-17
I'm a big fan of sending the 17W over to Central and Lowry, to allow more access to that area and connections.
Ya i like that choice. I was also confused as to why the F Branch is only for one stop, but I'm guessing that will only last until the Green Line opens up and then the 17 won't have any branches. (People can transfer to the 17 at the West Lake Station).

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 3rd, 2023, 1:58 pm

Why is this routing a thing though?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 3rd, 2023, 2:08 pm

I believe that's showing both the 17W and the 17 routing on the same map. The 17 does the 3rd St loop to get to/from its layover in the Gateway ramp, the W stays on Washington in both directions to get to/from the bridge. I hope.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 3rd, 2023, 2:14 pm

I believe that's showing both the 17W and the 17 routing on the same map. The 17 does the 3rd St loop to get to/from its layover in the Gateway ramp, the W stays on Washington in both directions to get to/from the bridge. I hope.
I thought they were getting rid of most of the branches with this redesign. That's disappointing that they're not sending all the buses to northeast

Edit - There's still a deviation by France so they are likely keeping the B and X branches also.

MidwayLuke
Block E

Postby MidwayLuke » February 4th, 2023, 5:36 pm

I think the rework of the F branch is a good start.. Having it stay on Minnetonka to Ottawa/Beltline is excellent, however stopping it at Park Glen well short of the major destinations along and near Excelsior is such a misstep IMHO. Also just having reserve commute trips is just confusing and ensures that very few people will use it. I submitted a comment saying this branch should extend down to Excelsior and link to the 612. It wouldn't be redundant, it would be synergistic in terms of ridership. It would give the residents on Minnetonka direct access to Target, Fresh Thyme, Hospital/Urgent Care. AND this would get lay the groundwork for better connecting this area to the SWLRT.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 14th, 2023, 7:40 am

Minor route changes coming March 18th. Mostly trip timing adjustments. The only major change seems to be the elimination of the route 7 branch to the VA Hospital.

https://www.metrotransit.org/quarterly- ... y-march-18

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 14th, 2023, 8:04 am

Minor route changes coming March 18th. Mostly trip timing adjustments. The only major change seems to be the elimination of the route 7 branch to the VA Hospital.

Yeah, the March service changes were originally more, but the Osseo Rd Construction in North Minneapolis and the Minnesota St construction in downtown St Paul have been delayed until this summer.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 14th, 2023, 9:27 am

Yeah, the March service changes were originally more, but the Osseo Rd Construction in North Minneapolis and the Minnesota St construction in downtown St Paul have been delayed until this summer.
I hope that the Osseo Rd Construction being delayed until summer doesn't force it to be a 2 season reconstruction. That route is so critical connecting North Minneapolis and Brooklyn Center.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » February 14th, 2023, 11:29 am

What will the detour even be for this? Based on Hennepin county’s website it won’t reopen until 2024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 14th, 2023, 11:47 am

What will the detour even be for this? Based on Hennepin county’s website it won’t reopen until 2024

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically it has to detour into Robbinsdale and onto Hwy 100, the Brooklyn & 51st Station will be closed during this construction project for the C and D Line, the route 5 will double back to serve the area.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 14th, 2023, 11:51 am

My guess would be Osseo to 45th/Lake Dr to France to Hwy 100 to Brooklyn Blvd, while the 5 can follow a route similar to the 22A along 51st.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 14th, 2023, 1:47 pm

My guess would be Osseo to 45th/Lake Dr to France to Hwy 100 to Brooklyn Blvd, while the 5 can follow a route similar to the 22A along 51st.
They're both going on 100. I guess they don't want the train to mess with the D Lines on time performance and they want to hit the 44th Ave stations.

J. Mc
City Center

Postby J. Mc » February 14th, 2023, 10:53 pm

... the Minnesota St construction in downtown St Paul have been delayed until this summer.
Has there been any mentions of how they will be consolidating the DTSP routes during that construction or after? I remember they had a survey a while back kind of looking longer term at whether to consolidate everything onto one street (or two streets, one SB one NB) or keep it more spread out once construction is completed like the current layout. Personally I'd be in favor of a consolidated 'transit route' street or two if it means better stops, a mini high frequency corridor (i..e any bus going north on Robert at 5th/6th will take you to Robert/10th for example), and easier connections between most routes without 1-2 block walks (especially nice for our aging population). Yeah I know walking a block isn't a big deal for many, but getting transfers close and convenient is a win in my book.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 15th, 2023, 8:22 am

... the Minnesota St construction in downtown St Paul have been delayed until this summer.
Has there been any mentions of how they will be consolidating the DTSP routes during that construction or after? I remember they had a survey a while back kind of looking longer term at whether to consolidate everything onto one street (or two streets, one SB one NB) or keep it more spread out once construction is completed like the current layout. Personally I'd be in favor of a consolidated 'transit route' street or two if it means better stops, a mini high frequency corridor (i..e any bus going north on Robert at 5th/6th will take you to Robert/10th for example), and easier connections between most routes without 1-2 block walks (especially nice for our aging population). Yeah I know walking a block isn't a big deal for many, but getting transfers close and convenient is a win in my book.
During the construction, everything will be on Robert St.

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » February 18th, 2023, 11:30 am

My bus driver on the route #23 said Metro Transit is hoping to restore service frequency along the route with the June 2023 schedule changes. This depends upon whether they can hire enough drivers, however.

By the way a bus once an hour is abysmal frequency and I'm so frustrated every time I need to go into work using the #23. I've noticed that ridership on the bus is much lower than when buses came more frequency. I suppose people an't count on the route any longer and needed to find alternatives. IMO this is a disaster for Metro Transit and will take a long time, if ever, to lure riders back along these bus routes...

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 18th, 2023, 9:05 pm

Ridership and frequency causality dilemma are like the chicken and the egg.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 20th, 2023, 2:02 pm

I've believed for a while that the 38th St corridor is one of the most underrated in the Twin Cities. A while back I did an analysis of boardings for each stop along various corridors, and 38th Street leapt out as the second most efficient corridors per stop, per bus. It should be a route with 10 minute frequencies, not 15, 20, 30, or an hour. I was frustrated when it wasn't included in Network Next analysis. I think you could make a strong case for an ABRT route from Dowling Elementary in the east to St. Louis Park (SLP HS? Peter Hobart Primary Center? Methodist Hospital?) in the west.

Anyway, I've heard good news about operator hiring recently and am hopeful to see service additions in the summer. Fingers crossed.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 20th, 2023, 3:39 pm

It’s disappointing the 23 doesn’t have better frequency. I haven’t needed to ride much lately. But even when I did, the 30 minute frequency was bad. East west routes need to be better.