Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Postby seanrichardryan » February 22nd, 2023, 3:53 pm

They should have continued the skyway to Kenwood Parkway!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 22nd, 2023, 3:54 pm

Yep, since were doing this again-- Bryn Mawr is the total joke. Who possibly was the proponent of this thing and what was the rationale?
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 22nd, 2023, 3:57 pm

They should have continued the skyway to Kenwood Parkway!
lol

seriously though cant they just cut a trail down at Douglas?
Towns!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 22nd, 2023, 4:06 pm

But seriously, is there no plan to make a direct trail connection here? It's all county owned and would be a great connection for residents and park users. ImageImage

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 22nd, 2023, 4:14 pm

'Historically', this area should have more intensive uses...

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 22nd, 2023, 4:24 pm

I remember bringing up extending the bridge to provide a connection between Penn and Kenwood at a public meeting over a decade ago and people that lived on the Kenwood side did not like that idea.

It's a terrific idea though, especially because it could actually provide a bike/walk advantage over driving!

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 22nd, 2023, 4:25 pm

At least the skyway will also provide another access to Cedar Lake and the trails from the north side.
If the 55 or 169 BRT's are built on Olsen I hope they will look at connecting the C Line south to Bryn Mawr

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 22nd, 2023, 4:31 pm

That fairly pronounced path that cuts down along the side of the bluff -- anybody know the story behind that? It seems too deliberate just to be a desire path.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 22nd, 2023, 4:35 pm

It's a legit road used by service vehicles on the old RR ROW. A connection here should also include selling off some land for TOD. It's a huge parcel that's Met Council owned. Image

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » February 22nd, 2023, 4:41 pm

But seriously, is there no plan to make a direct trail connection here? It's all county owned and would be a great connection for residents and park users. ImageImage
That trail should be built, and then someone should convert the kenwood water tower into luxury condos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 22nd, 2023, 5:42 pm

That fairly pronounced path that cuts down along the side of the bluff -- anybody know the story behind that? It seems too deliberate just to be a desire path.
It was a road for railroad employees to access the rail yard, which was abandoned and demolished in 1984. If you walk around in that pocket of forest you'll find small piles of rubble from the rail yard buildings.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » February 22nd, 2023, 6:20 pm

Bryn Mawr station could benefit from a couple things:
  • Reverse the direction of the 394 pedestrian crossing so that the southern end is by the station.
  • Put a freaking sidewalk on Wayzata Boulevard

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » February 22nd, 2023, 7:45 pm

I could see Bassett Creek having a good deal more ridership than 21st or Bryn Mawr simply because it's in walking distance of Dunwoody and the Sculpture Garden/Walker.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » February 23rd, 2023, 10:22 am

That trail should be built, and then someone should convert the kenwood water tower into luxury condos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would guess this connection wasn't a priority for SWLRT due to existing neighborhood animosity to the project and that there is already a connection between Kenwood and the Cedar Lake Trail closer to 394.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 23rd, 2023, 12:53 pm

Just bill it as a connection to the trails.

Also anecdotally the biggest light rail haters have already fled.
Towns!

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 23rd, 2023, 9:22 pm

We are back to nitpicking green line stations? Don't forget City West Station. With over half it's walkshed blocked by freeways and a significant area taken up by ponds doesn't leave much room for TOD. I wouldn't expect many office workers from Optum to use it when they have a pair of 5 story parking structures a stones throw from the office. As much as I like to bash BCS at least BCS has the Health Partners office (with the station closer than the parking garage), a few sizeable apartments, condos and a hotel within easy walking distance. Unfortunately two LRT stations are also within easy walking distance.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » February 23rd, 2023, 9:28 pm

Isn't that ridge kinda steep? I don't think stairs would be ADA compliant and a ramp would need to zigzag quite a bit to make it down. At least that was my thought when I brought this trail up a few pages back.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 24th, 2023, 9:43 am

Isn't that ridge kinda steep? I don't think stairs would be ADA compliant and a ramp would need to zigzag quite a bit to make it down. At least that was my thought when I brought this trail up a few pages back.
There is a connection just to the east via the existing 394 bridge connecting Kenwood Parkway to Penn Ave N.

Also they've already constructed the ironwork for the planned bridge so the ship has sailed on this. Otherwise you'll have to have some sort of grand staircase up the hill.

On a side note...is this area an old River bed or something from thousands of years ago?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 24th, 2023, 10:28 am

On a side note...is this area an old River bed or something from thousands of years ago?
I recall from an old university course on the geography of the Twin Cities that this area has the geology of an old glacial runoff area. Filled with a soil that makes building on it difficult because of the softness and heaving.

Which made it ideal for running a rail changing yard by comparison since little else would be stable.

I vaguely recall that’s why the 394 is on a viaduct between Penn and the tunnel, too.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 24th, 2023, 10:29 am

Yes! But more like 10,000 years ago. The chain of lakes is the old pre/inter glacial river valley. Lowry Hill though is a glacial feature. Image