Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Re: Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Postby thespeedmccool » November 28th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Anyone know when the Riverview Corridor station at Maynard moved to St. Paul Avenue?

Objectively great choice, just don't know when it happened. Source

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 28th, 2022, 3:44 pm

Anyone know when the Riverview Corridor station at Maynard moved to St. Paul Avenue?

Objectively great choice, just don't know when it happened. Source
During the Station Area Taskforce they have been redefining where the actual station will be, and where it works best!

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » January 31st, 2023, 11:50 am

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 12th, 2023, 3:16 pm

The next Station Planning Committee meeting is on March 14th 2023 at 6 pm. The PAC and CAC meetings have been rescheduled to April 2023.
https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/r ... ngs-events

Some station area planning survey results have been published:
https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/r ... a-planning

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 13th, 2023, 12:41 am

Is the CP route pretty much dead at this point?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 14th, 2023, 6:20 pm

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 7.18.19 PM.png
So if Bus Rapid Transit is chosen, they are planning to have a Norfolk Station off of West 7th St. I honestly think it is ridiculous to divert the route off West 7th if we end up choosing BRT, but honestly I hope we still go with Rail.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 14th, 2023, 6:27 pm

So if Bus Rapid Transit is chosen, they are planning to have a Norfolk Station off of West 7th St. I honestly think it is ridiculous to divert the route off West 7th if we end up choosing BRT, but honestly I hope we still go with Rail.
I didn't know BRT was still under consideration, is it full-BRT or aBRT? I think the diversion is an interesting idea, but I doubt that it would get the signal priority to make it worthwhile.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 14th, 2023, 6:29 pm

I didn't know BRT was still under consideration, is it full-BRT or aBRT? I think the diversion is an interesting idea, but I doubt that it would get the signal priority to make it worthwhile.
Yes, a streetcar and best bus option will be presented this summer for public comment and then a decision made by the PAC. I'm thinking it will just be aBRT. I honestly will be upset if we end up with aBRT, 1: Because we could have had it in 2017. 2. I have not just spent the last 2 years on this taskforce for it to be BRT.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 14th, 2023, 8:58 pm

I watched part of this meeting, but joined late and was surprised to hear about "best bus".

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with bus because it seems like the streetcar is going to be an interlining nightmare in addition to Fort Snelling tangle and being slower.

I recall in the initial aBRT planning, it would only be 2 minutes faster than the 54. That being said it would make a pretty nice extension of the Purple Line (if that doesn't die) or the Gold Line or perhaps the E 7th St aBRT.

J. Mc
City Center

Postby J. Mc » March 15th, 2023, 12:24 am

As a W. 7th resident and someone who rides the 54 daily, I would be ecstatic to see aBRT instead of a modern streetcar. I'm still peeved they didn't just B line it back in 2017. The Norfolk idea is interesting. Lots of housing density right around there, plus the private operator airport parking and rental car service center yards across Davern have some good redevelopment potential for further density. It would be interesting to see how ABRT stations would work on that street. It's a basic residential neighborhood street so not sure if bumpout stations would fit.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 15th, 2023, 1:26 am

Is the CP Rail corridor next to 7th still on the table or is it gone?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 15th, 2023, 7:44 am

Is the CP Rail corridor next to 7th still on the table or is it gone?
Pretty sure that is off the table.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » March 15th, 2023, 7:53 am

As a W. 7th resident and someone who rides the 54 daily, I would be ecstatic to see aBRT instead of a modern streetcar. I'm still peeved they didn't just B line it back in 2017. The Norfolk idea is interesting. Lots of housing density right around there, plus the private operator airport parking and rental car service center yards across Davern have some good redevelopment potential for further density. It would be interesting to see how ABRT stations would work on that street. It's a basic residential neighborhood street so not sure if bumpout stations would fit.
My issue is the 54 is aBRT, just no stations. Let's build the streetcar, give it dedicated lanes and the accessibility on West 7th would be much better off.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 31st, 2023, 6:07 pm

Is this new? option 2 was chosen for the Blue Line/Riverview connection study for Highland Park area. The link below has more information on the study.

https://www.ramseycounty.us/residents/r ... tion-study

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 31st, 2023, 6:13 pm

Looks like they're recommending bus improvements but letting the Network Now plans drive the final decision.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 3rd, 2023, 10:12 am

So basically return service to pre-covid levels is what they are saying... not the greatest improvement to service in the area...

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » April 3rd, 2023, 10:18 am

I could see a future aBRT connecting the Highland to Riverview. Either using the 46 or the 23 for most of the route.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 3rd, 2023, 10:38 am

I made a mental health decision to stop caring about this project years ago because I had said my piece and it was clear how this effort would ultimately end up. Still, plenty of people have good reason to be frustrated about the years that were wasted on an obviously infeasible plan.

However, people should not make the same mistake that this project's political backers made of seeing a rapid bus line as something that would preclude later rail investment. In fact, the reverse is true; a successful rapid bus line would strengthen the case for a rail line in the future by demonstrating and growing ridership in the corridor, which would then be reflected by stronger scores in the federal capital investment grand process.

Had the original B Line aBRT opened in this corridor years ago, Ramsey County would be closer to realizing its dream of Riverview rail than they are today. Unfortunately key decision makers were both poorly advised and poor advocates, doubling down on this insane plan to spend $3 billion dollars on a project that would've decreased service resilience and increased transit travel times, and never ever was going to get funding from the FTA.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » April 3rd, 2023, 2:08 pm

I made a mental health decision to stop caring about this project years ago because I had said my piece and it was clear how this effort would ultimately end up. Still, plenty of people have good reason to be frustrated about the years that were wasted on an obviously infeasible plan.

However, people should not make the same mistake that this project's political backers made of seeing a rapid bus line as something that would preclude later rail investment. In fact, the reverse is true; a successful rapid bus line would strengthen the case for a rail line in the future by demonstrating and growing ridership in the corridor, which would then be reflected by stronger scores in the federal capital investment grand process.

Had the original B Line aBRT opened in this corridor years ago, Ramsey County would be closer to realizing its dream of Riverview rail than they are today. Unfortunately key decision makers were both poorly advised and poor advocates, doubling down on this insane plan to spend $3 billion dollars on a project that would've decreased service resilience and increased transit travel times, and never ever was going to get funding from the FTA.
Forget me if I'm wrong, but this study is just pertaining predominately to a connection to Highland Bridge from the Blue and future Riverview Corridor. It seems like this is to strengthen the decision for the Riverview Corridor project to not divert to Highland and instead focus on a more direct route between Downtown St. Paul and MSP/MOA.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 3rd, 2023, 6:03 pm

How many BRT lines in this country have been converted to rail? It would take decades, if ever, for a Riverview (a)BRT to be converted to rail. It's not like the stations that are built for (a)BRT can easily be used by trains as well.