Elliot Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
pillsdoughboy
City Center

Re: Elliot Park

Postby pillsdoughboy » January 4th, 2022, 5:03 pm

Star Tribune reporting that the Minnesota Court of Appeal ruling that Minneapolis city officials "erred" when denying the demolition of the First Church of Christ, Scientist building and reversed the prior decision. The article doesn't explicitly say, but it sounds like this means the building will end up being demolished by Weidner Apartment homes.

I'm disappointed by this! Frankly, I think Elliot Park is one of the only neighborhoods in the city with a high concentration of historic, human-scale buildings. I think this building, if rehabilitated, could have fit in beautifully into the urban fabric. What do you all think? Do you think there's potential for a last-minute save, or do you think it's a goner? Does anyone know what Weidner was planning to do with this parcel if the church was demolished? I wonder if at least the facade of the building could be preserved.

https://www.startribune.com/court-minne ... 600132608/

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 5th, 2022, 9:49 am

I think this is a good example of how the way that Minneapolis (and basically every other US city) does historic preservation is really not working too well. The system is reactive, it only engages when there is an active threat to change or demolish a potentially historic resource. But it isn't proactive, so when a potentially historic resource falls into decline or isn't productively used, there is nothing that engages to save it.

In this case, it seems pretty likely that the church is in such great disrepair that there really isn't anything to be done. But it really is a beautiful structure. Ideally, it would've been identified as endangered a long time ago and then steps would've been taken at the time to reuse it and maintain it. That didn't happen and now it's a teardown.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 5th, 2022, 10:09 am

It is frustrating, because when Weidner bought this building, it was in rough shape but almost certainly salvageable. They're a deep-pocketed group, and instead of doing some quick maintenance to protect the building (new roof would have been huge), they let it moulder away until it was, indeed, too far gone.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 5th, 2022, 10:12 am

Very sad to see a great older building go. This could and should have been saved many times over. While im sure it will lead to positive investment in the area vs an abandoned building it never should have gotten this way!

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » January 5th, 2022, 10:31 am

I don't blame Weidner as much as I blame the previous owner. Does anyone know who that was?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » January 6th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Heritage Preservation Application Summary for the Mayhew Rowhouses (the beautiful but aging brownstones on 9th between Portland and Park) https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... h%20St%20S

This was discussed at the January 4th public hearing.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 6th, 2022, 2:43 pm

So, it looks like the owners of some of these rowhouses initiated this process. Do they unlock some sort of secret funding source for maintenance if they're designated?

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » January 6th, 2022, 3:51 pm

So, it looks like the owners of some of these rowhouses initiated this process. Do they unlock some sort of secret funding source for maintenance if they're designated?
I believe it is a way to then qualify for historic tax credits for improvements/maintenance ...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 7th, 2022, 9:57 am

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. But using historic tax credits for a handful of individually owned residential properties seems like more trouble than it's worth, maybe?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 17th, 2022, 7:56 pm

North Central is proposing another new building - this one would tear down the small parking ramp at Elliot and 14th and replace it with a four-story student union/science lab building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 18th, 2022, 8:35 am

North Central is proposing another new building - this one would tear down the small parking ramp at Elliot and 14th and replace it with a four-story student union/science lab building.
This will be a nice addition to the edge of Elliot Park. Much much better than that ramp.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 18th, 2022, 12:42 pm

Something something North Central something something science?

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » February 18th, 2022, 3:23 pm

That's a great improvement over the current parking ramp I really wish it looked better next to the Jones Library. They just kinda are just there and there is no really interaction or cues between the two buildings.

contrast
Nicollet Mall

Postby contrast » February 22nd, 2022, 6:00 pm

That east elevation and the classrooms on that side sure could use a little more glass. Do they not want people looking out and seeing their beautiful library?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 15th, 2023, 1:42 pm

700 10th ave s is proposed for office to affordable housing conversion. 66k of class C office space will be removed from the market for 59 units

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 15th, 2023, 2:20 pm

Band Box Diner is reopening after a 3 year hiatus.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » September 15th, 2023, 2:57 pm

700 10th ave s is proposed for office to affordable housing conversion. 66k of class C office space will be removed from the market for 59 units
Great news.

I think we can expect new apartment construction to slow, and conversions to step up. Will help boost both the flailing commercial real estate market and hopefully offset the slowdown in new construction.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » September 17th, 2023, 10:12 am

Here's the packet, goes in front of the planning commission Monday 9/18 https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... f%20Report