Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Postby Nick » December 7th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Doesn't the City own the giant parking ramp under the building? County property records still list MCDA as the owner of the property. Apparently the whole property, but some of the downtown parcels are weird.

https://gis.hennepin.us/Property?C=4784 ... 30278&VIS=
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 8th, 2022, 10:20 am

I was last in the conference portion of this hotel about 5.5 years ago (SGDQ 2016, for those in the know) and from my recollection, the parking ramp is adjacent to this building (but there may be an underground portion which goes under the hotel), while the conference halls are in the podium. I don't think there's any opportunity to demolish the conference portion since it's not in a standalone structure, and I'm not sure how "repurpose-able" it is, since it's all kind of open-air and integrated with the hotel lobby.

datasage
City Center

Postby datasage » December 8th, 2022, 1:19 pm

This is one of the largest hotel/conference properties in the area. The property may change hands, but I expect the property to continue to operate as a hotel/conference center.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 8th, 2022, 11:24 pm

Yeah, I worked in hotels for 17 years...this isn't actually super uncommon. And if it was an old rundown hotel that had become a quality inn? We might be talking about the end of the line for a property like that...but a huge hotel like this in pretty good shape? Sounds like this might actually be more about the owners than anything else. Some of you may recall that the Hotel Ivy fell into foreclosure years ago and was in receivership for years. It would be pretty surprising if the Hilton didn't keep operating as normal, and as someone else said, someone will probably get a good deal on it and sell it again down the road. This was probably just the best option for the owner. There are a couple scenarios where we see this...at the end of the line for an old ragged property with an owner that doesn't keep it up..(see sidebar below about this)...and what we have going on with the Hilton...the two are not the same. On a forum like this, I am kinda surprised actually that so many could think news like this would mean the hotel was going away!

To avoid confusion from my long winded-ness...sidebar continued from above :)
Examples of situations where something like this might be the end of the line? Kind of like I mentioned above, think the old Ramada downtown, or one that could have almost been in this category was the Embassy Suites before it was purchased and converted to Hyatt Place, that owner was awful! They were stripped of their flag, which takes a while to happen, it was a terrible Embassy! Or some of you may be familiar with the Millennium Cincinnati...downtown convention hotel that was recently demolished. That was a late 60s relic with loads of deferred maintenance. The Hilton Mpls is nowhere remotely close to this situation! Sounds like an owner with issues.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 16th, 2022, 3:33 pm

It has the largest and most flexible ballroom of any of the downtown hotels. It's not getting demolished.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 16th, 2022, 6:07 pm

I hope that reply wasn't to me...because my main point in that post was.... that there is NO way this is getting demolished, or even closed. I don't think it will even change flags. Only thing that'll happen is it will change ownership or go into receivership and continue operating as normal. Not that unusual of a situation. The Hilton isn't going anywhere.

eastharrietguy
City Center

Postby eastharrietguy » December 27th, 2022, 12:53 pm

I think convention business will rebound fully. People want that connection that you can't get via Zoom, and its an opportunity to visit another city as well as be with others in your industry/affinity group. The Hilton is a convention hotel, the largest in the cities... and close to the convention center. it will not go away.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 27th, 2022, 4:31 pm

I think we can drop this whole idea "we're never getting rid of the convention hotel" guys. I get it, I was wrong, we can stop piling on. About 10 of you have said it so far.

We can agree it has horrible street frontage! Thanks.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 4th, 2023, 1:42 pm

I heard the building between Ricks Cabaret and the old bail bonds/Press Box bar is going to be converted to residential.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 4th, 2023, 3:54 pm

I heard the building between Ricks Cabaret and the old bail bonds/Press Box bar is going to be converted to residential.
312 S 3rd Street?

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » January 4th, 2023, 5:53 pm

Correct

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 9th, 2023, 12:52 pm

Twins games offer younger spirit, stronger pull for fans at Target Field. https://www.startribune.com/target-fiel ... 600265641/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 19th, 2023, 2:09 pm

pannierpacker
Metrodome

Postby pannierpacker » April 20th, 2023, 11:56 am

Minneapolis Downtown Council CEO Steve Cramer to retire

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » April 22nd, 2023, 4:21 pm

Farmers Market not returning to Nicollet Mall this year:
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/ ... is-summer/

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 25th, 2023, 7:24 am

Farmers Market not returning to Nicollet Mall this year:
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/ ... is-summer/
From a transit rider's perspective, this makes riding the bus easier on Thursdays.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » May 24th, 2023, 11:03 am

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... night-life

“ A block of First Avenue North in downtown Minneapolis will be closed on Fridays and Saturdays this summer as the city establishes new public space to accommodate Warehouse District night life.

The weekend closure will take effect on 9 a.m. Fridays from Fifth Street to Sixth Street beginning Memorial Day weekend through the end of October. The block will reopen to traffic by 10 a.m. each Sunday.

"Warehouse District Live is an enhanced pedestrian zone that will feature food trucks, tables and seating, restrooms and various activities throughout the summer and fall," writes the city of Minneapolis.”

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 25th, 2023, 2:51 pm

Adam Duininck replacing Steve Cramer.

https://www.startribune.com/downtown-co ... 600314735/

Seems a good choice. I think I recall Adam attended a Streets.mn gathering before.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 27th, 2023, 12:30 pm

From CM Michael Rainville's latest email newsletter:
The United States Postal Service is holding a public meeting regarding the future use of their facility at 100 S 1st St. The hearing will take place at 2pm on Wednesday, November 1st at the Shoreview Community Center (4580 Victoria St N). I do not know why the hearing is in Shoreview, but I will attend to inform them of the City's desire to purchase the 1970s parking ramp on Hennepin Ave. Imagine the grand entry to Downtown from the river if that space was re-designed. There is a survey for residents to give input which is open until November 16th.
Lotta fun bits in one paragraph. Shoreview! The city wanting to purchase that awful parking ramp!

Anyway, sounds like a boost to my dream of opening a bathhouse and spa in that secondary building just south of the main USPS structure.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 27th, 2023, 12:49 pm

Tearing down that ugly ass ramp and turning it into a park/stairs/entrance/etc. might not be the #1 on the list of single biggest land use upgrades in DT but is sure isn't far off the top of that list.