Suburbs - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Suburbs - General Topics

Postby uptownbro » March 21st, 2023, 8:54 pm

UHG is looking to sell or lease its HQ. The company will be MN based. No word on what there office space plan is.
I can dream for a bit this means they will move downtown even if that is very doubtful

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 22nd, 2023, 7:50 am

I work for a large company in the suburbs that is similarly trying to vastly reduce their real estate footprint. Back when we worked in the office there'd be periodic grapevine rumors that we were moving downtown, and the rank and file employees were pretty much universally horrified by that thought- having to fight the traffic going downtown and paying for parking, and in recent years increasingly how much crime there was there. Part of the attraction with taking jobs at our company was being able to work in the suburbs. Now that all the rank and file are working from home and never coming back, we couldn't care less where the people in suits want to be.

I do think there's a lot of self-selection going on. People that want to work in the city look for jobs there first, then look in the suburbs only if those leads don't pan out, and vice versa.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » March 22nd, 2023, 8:19 am

I agree with your final comment, which brings up the idea that if your company is in the suburbs you're going to attract a bunch of reactionaries. Ive never thought about that before but those tentacles have to reach deep into every aspect of the business which is-- interesting.
Towns!

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » March 22nd, 2023, 9:31 am

It's counterintuitive to ask people to consider transit to reach downtown jobs at a time when transit and downtown crime are high, but increasing usage rates among rank and file workers will help solve both problems. I don't mean to diminish the concerns, but it is a chicken and egg problem.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 22nd, 2023, 11:09 am

I've never worked in downtown so I don't know- are there similar "reactionaries" working downtown that are horrified at rumors that the company might be relocating to the suburbs and whose tentacles have to reach deep into every aspect of the business?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 22nd, 2023, 11:27 am

*raises hand*
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 22nd, 2023, 4:53 pm

I've never worked in downtown so I don't know- are there similar "reactionaries" working downtown that are horrified at rumors that the company might be relocating to the suburbs and whose tentacles have to reach deep into every aspect of the business?
Yes! The benefit of a downtown office is we drive from all directions. If my company would move to Eden Prairie or Bloomington, I’d seriously consider leaving because my drive is already long into downtown from the North burbs.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 22nd, 2023, 10:20 pm

Yes! The benefit of a downtown office is we drive from all directions. If my company would move to Eden Prairie or Bloomington, I’d seriously consider leaving because my drive is already long into downtown from the North burbs.
And regardless of the current transit situation (frequency or conditions, take your pick), a centrally located office has the best chance of benefitting from investments in transit or bike infrastructure. Downtown is the easiest place to get by bus or LRT. A suburb can invest in one well placed off street bike trail and create a bicycle highway that taps into the extensive city network of bike lanes and trails. Etc.

There's no amount of investment in transit, freeways, or personal rocket ships that could make a commute from a suburb on one side of the metro to a suburb on the opposite side bearable for someone who doesn't absolutely love spending time in their car. And despite some particularly loud outliers, most people do not enjoy their commute or want to spend more time in their cars than absolutely necessary.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 23rd, 2023, 12:13 pm

In "lol suburbs" news, Boston Scientific is building a new facility on the old gravel pits east of Arbor Lakes. It will include 1,238 parking stalls for "at least 256 employees". There will be a solar array, though, so don't go calling them eco-unfriendly.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » August 23rd, 2023, 12:41 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 23rd, 2023, 2:18 pm

A 4.84 parking ratio, lol.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » August 23rd, 2023, 5:48 pm

And what's their reasoning for that amount of parking?

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » August 23rd, 2023, 6:27 pm

expansion maybe? Is that 256 number their current number of employees or what their looking to hire after its built.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » August 24th, 2023, 7:45 am

They have around 3k employees in Maple Grove currently. That must be "new" hires or moves to the state

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 24th, 2023, 8:07 am

Anoka approves 'social district' that allows public drinking in area of city

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... ed-to-area
The City of Anoka has approved plans to introduce a "social district" that would include an area where people can openly drink alcohol in public.

The pilot program was first introduced and approved by state legislators in the 2022 omnibus liquor bill, and it has been finalized as of Monday by the Anoka City Council.

It means that from Sept. 6, people ages 21 and over can purchase alcohol from a licensed business and drink it in public provided they remain inside the common area.
I've thought that this sort of area should be allowed for entertainment districts. Let these businesses collaborate and create events that bring people together. In the summer months I enjoy patios and I'd imagine this new program would allow shared patios. A decade ago I visited Kansas City and they have similar shared space rules for the Power and Light District. I loved it

Can anyone see what the next steps are? What is the success of the pilot program based on and how soon could we see this rolled out to other cities besides Anoka?

schwinnletour
Metrodome

Postby schwinnletour » August 24th, 2023, 10:59 am

Downtown Ft. Lauderdale has a similar setup. They'll switch out your glassware for a plastic cup when leaving a bar.

Very civilized until you need to use the bathroom.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 17th, 2023, 9:14 am

Locked article. https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... 0YVWgHtUbM

Luxury home development in Independence so people can see the stars. Too bad they won't be able to see as many with the light pollution.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 2nd, 2023, 5:32 pm

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... biDj9oUgMo

Development proposal consisting mostly of townhomes but also some single-family homes and a couple medical buildings on the corner of 162nd Street & Buck Hill Road in Lakeville. Right now the site is undeveloped besides what appears to be an abandoned farm.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » March 28th, 2024, 11:43 am

Is that what all exurban development looks like? The privatization of all amenities (park, pool, dog walk, etc.) rather than having public parks & plazas?

Not much different from "amenity decks" in urban & inner suburban development.

Whatever happened to public space? Is privatization of public good the new redlining?