New Third Precinct Station

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Didier
Capella Tower

New Third Precinct Station

Postby Didier » October 4th, 2023, 1:53 pm

Surprised we don't have a dedicated thread to this yet. After many starts and stops, Frey is now proposing 2600 Minnehaha Ave.

https://www.startribune.com/frey-heres- ... fresh=true

As someone who lives in the third precinct, the delay is becoming pretty absurd. Rebuilding on the original location appears to be the most cost effective, and that's probably the best location in general, being adjacent to two major thoroughfares and the LRT station there.

I understand there's opposition to rebuilding, although that opposition feels more like something being whispered about than a widespread movement. If that's insurmountable, though, hopefully they can at least get moving on tearing down the old building and getting this one up.

Silophant

Re: New Third Precinct Station

Postby Silophant » October 27th, 2023, 1:56 pm

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 27th, 2023, 2:41 pm

As someone who lives in the third precinct, the delay is becoming pretty absurd.
As someone who also lives in the third precinct, why? Personally, I cannot tell any difference from when it was in operation. I haven't seen anyone make the case that we somehow benefit from having exactly five precinct buildings. I've seen references to response times, but aren't calls mostly handled by officer who are already out on patrol?

Anyway, if we must I'd support the cheapest option. I just don't know why we must.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 27th, 2023, 6:13 pm

It's not free to have them operate out of a decaying office building in downtown either, though. The Public Service Center was already in rough shape, eventually it would need renovations to be a police station long-term.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 28th, 2023, 9:38 am

I’ve never seen the cops in my neighborhood, even before 2020, so that’s moot for me personally, but the burned out building is a massive blight on an area that needs a lot of help. If it’s politically untenable to ever use that building again they should have torn it down two years ago.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 28th, 2023, 11:34 am

I was fine with rebuilding the original precinct as it was the cheapest option. If it’s not an option, tear it down and sell it to fund the new location. It’s been 3 years. At least our post office is finally open.

icelake
Block E

Postby icelake » October 29th, 2023, 7:37 am

I’d like to see smaller, more public, sub-stations being considered. After the consent decrees we know we have a serious cultural problem within the PD. Why repeat the model of large precinct buildings that effectively create a fortress within the neighborhood? Dr. Cedric Alexander stated that the precinct was not needed, I don’t understand Fred’s continued insistence in rebuilding what was not working while being unwilling to do the work of exploring other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 30th, 2023, 8:21 am

I’ve never seen the cops in my neighborhood, even before 2020, so that’s moot for me personally, but the burned out building is a massive blight on an area that needs a lot of help. If it’s politically untenable to ever use that building again they should have torn it down two years ago.
That I agree with.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 6th, 2023, 8:42 am

I’d like to see smaller, more public, sub-stations being considered. After the consent decrees we know we have a serious cultural problem within the PD. Why repeat the model of large precinct buildings that effectively create a fortress within the neighborhood? Dr. Cedric Alexander stated that the precinct was not needed, I don’t understand Fred’s continued insistence in rebuilding what was not working while being unwilling to do the work of exploring other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LaTrisha Vetaw has talking about having a smaller sub-station in her Ward. The current 4th Precinct is a distance away from Ward 4. (It's on 13th N and Latrisha's Ward goes into the 50's N.)

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » November 6th, 2023, 12:35 pm

Is the 1st the only one with a substation? That one is on University across from Surdyk's.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 6th, 2023, 2:45 pm

Didn't there used to be one in Uptown next to the McDonald's?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 6th, 2023, 9:12 pm

yes
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 7th, 2023, 12:43 pm

Used to be one in Block E too. Not sure if it is still there.