University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Re: University of Minnesota - News & General Topics

Postby rhettcarlson » January 17th, 2023, 11:39 am

Hadn't seen this angle of the rendering. Looks like it's showing demolition of the Dinnaken and Argyle student housing buildings, both built in the early/mid 90s. And is that a building on top of Oak St ramp? Build it!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » January 17th, 2023, 12:16 pm

Yeah, that almost looks like they're proposing to rebuild both missing blocks of Delaware and connect it straight through from Oak to Huron, with a new tower on the north side where the north end of the ramp is now. Been a long time since I've been in the Oak St Ramp, is it actually laid out in such a way that they could cut it off at the Delaware Row and still have the remaining half be usable?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2023, 12:16 pm

I'll buy you all a beer if the buildings actually have that cool terrace stepping.

[Not a legally enforceable promise.]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 17th, 2023, 2:07 pm

I understand why they are placing this on East Bank, but It would be nice if they put it on West Bank just north of Mondale Hall and take out the parking lot and softball fields. Maybe even take out the West Bank Office Building or build where the ramp is. Also get rid of that office building on Washington Ave

Place some major density right near Downtown. I also think it would be easier for drivers being not as centered in the campus. Also it's close to the LRT stop. (The area on the Southside of 35.)

I don't mind the campus, but I think Downtown East/W. Bank also might be a place more comfortable for medical staff and students. There even might be an advantage to being so close to HCMC.

Also they could give Eleven some friends and include a tower like the HUB for grad students and etc.
Capturegf.JPG

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » January 17th, 2023, 5:15 pm

Land ownership. The U has been accumulating land for the East Bank medical campus for years.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » January 18th, 2023, 11:23 am

I would also speculate that that area is more likely to be used an expansion of the law school, Humphrey School or even Carlson vs medical space.

A medical center expansion on the West bank would more likely be down by Riverside park, across from Augsburg or even a large demo/rebuild of the current rats nest of building they have. Interesting after doing a bunch of looking a property tax map the City owns a decent amount of houses by Riverside park, I would guess the U would have instead.

Also yes The U vacating and selling all of their west of 35W would be a big win for the Mill District

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 27th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Guess they're prepping to get started on the East Gateway project. I had completely forgotten about it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » November 27th, 2023, 9:25 pm

Guess they're prepping to get started on the East Gateway project. I had completely forgotten about it.
Burger King going to stay open until they get demolished?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 27th, 2023, 9:43 pm

Must just be that eastern building being demolished for now? Haven't been there for a while, but the BK, Caribou, and Kung Fu Tea are all still open according to their websites.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » November 28th, 2023, 8:28 am

https://themixmn.com/

It has a new development name and website. It's called The Mix.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 28th, 2023, 9:45 am

Clarification: It's not just the Mix, it's the the Minnesota Innovation Exchange — aka "The MIX"!

Seems like kind of a major project that kind of snuck past us here? According to the website there are three phrases that would redevelop three entire blocks in the heart of Stadium Village.

Phase 1 is listed as 2024-2029 and appears to have a woonerf.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » November 28th, 2023, 12:14 pm

Clarification: It's not just the Mix, it's the the Minnesota Innovation Exchange — aka "The MIX"!

Seems like kind of a major project that kind of snuck past us here? According to the website there are three phrases that would redevelop three entire blocks in the heart of Stadium Village.

Phase 1 is listed as 2024-2029 and appears to have a woonerf.
I think it snuck past because everything I've seen about it looks like those "what could be..." aspirational drawings consultants get when they write up a suburb's TOD plan. I assumed it was just a placeholder image for a potential redevelopment, not a real-life plan.

It would be awesome if the MIX actually looks like the renders when it's built, but I somehow think it won't be the monument to innovation that the drawings suggest.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » November 28th, 2023, 12:28 pm

I imagine the current work is simply to clear the site. Any actual new construction would have to go through all the usual approval processes I assume, which we'd have visibility to.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 28th, 2023, 1:15 pm

If it's a project by the university would it be exempt from going through the city?

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » November 28th, 2023, 2:22 pm

Personal pipe dream but I would love it if the new building, or nearby development, included enough office sq ft so that they could tear down the ugly University Office Plaza building on the north side of University and expand the park on the south side of the stadium all the way 23rd.

Also Stub & Herbs must be protected at all costs.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » November 28th, 2023, 3:04 pm

Personal pipe dream but I would love it if the new building, or nearby development, included enough office sq ft so that they could tear down the ugly University Office Plaza building on the north side of University and expand the park on the south side of the stadium all the way 23rd.
They are planning to tear down that building eventually. I think their plan is to extend the plaza that direction, but I'm not sure.