Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Twin Cities Suburbs
Korh
Rice Park

Re: Suburban Malls and Associated Retail News

Postby Korh » February 20th, 2024, 12:10 pm

Anyone still old enough to remember rainbow?

I also wonder how well the bulk wearhouse stores because I can't be the only one who's noticed there are fewer Sam's clubs around the cities and a few Costco's seem to close sooner

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 20th, 2024, 4:18 pm

Anyone still old enough to remember rainbow?
Were all the Rainbows co-branded with Roundy's, or just the one I shopped at? I just remember "Chairman Bob approved" on all the bags.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 20th, 2024, 5:47 pm

Rainbow was purchased by Roundy in the mid 2000s, IIRC.

pannierpacker2
Block E

Postby pannierpacker2 » February 20th, 2024, 6:31 pm

They have good security and added gates to the entrances to the Robbinsdale Aldi.

Where in Robbinsdale is there an Aldi?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 21st, 2024, 10:13 am

I poked around on some Hyvee related forums and staff are basically saying that they used COVID money to expand and then got caught between higher-end grocers and lower-end grocers. So they started cutting their staff and left themselves unable to compete with higher-end grocers for service and lower-end grocers on prices. Also one person said new stores are in the red for 10 years. This appears to be a company-wide issue with regards to management and it sounds like none of the new stores here are in the black. I guess it depends how far in the red they are.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 27th, 2024, 3:26 pm

Macy's closing 150 stores. I'd imagine Burnsville, Southdale, and Maplewood would be the most at risk of closing.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/27/inve ... index.html

pjknight01
Block E

Postby pjknight01 » February 27th, 2024, 6:45 pm

Macy's closing 150 stores. I'd imagine Burnsville, Southdale, and Maplewood would be the most at risk of closing.

Burnsville yes, Maplewood yes, but I don’t think Southdale will close especially with the large number of stores recently moving from the Galleria to the mall. Wonder what is going on over at the Galleria?

Emerson Uptowner
Block E

Postby Emerson Uptowner » February 27th, 2024, 7:09 pm

Burnsville yes, Maplewood yes, but I don’t think Southdale will close especially with the large number of stores recently moving from the Galleria to the mall. Wonder what is going on over at the Galleria?
Rochester no, St. Cloud maybe? Both cities are regional draws so I am not sure.
Uptown Minneapolis

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 9th, 2024, 10:30 am

As property-tax revenue drops, partial redevelopment eyed at Eden Prairie Center

The JCP location at EP Center is identified as a potential redevelopment location. You may know its perpetually empty parking lot as the site of Mt Eden Prairie during last winter's snow-fest.

It's disappointing that city leaders are following the fundamentally flawed logic of "property taxes are declining -> use a TIF" (and lock in low property tax income for decades). However, EP Center could definitely use some Southdale-ification, especially along the north / northwest side which is closest to the LRT station - hopefully some improved pedestrian connections to the station are part of any redevelopment.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 9th, 2024, 11:26 am

If they're going use TIF, they should at least try to get an Olive Garden or something over there--when the train opens in 2032 I will definitely take it out to the mall once for fun and it looks like Applebee's is currently the best suburban chain option they've got.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » April 10th, 2024, 7:05 am

If they're going use TIF, they should at least try to get an Olive Garden or something over there--when the train opens in 2032 I will definitely take it out to the mall once for fun and it looks like Applebee's is currently the best suburban chain option they've got.
2032 :lol:

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 10th, 2024, 8:32 am

EP's biggest culinary destination - Asia Mall - is actually pretty close to the Town Center station, at least as the crow flies.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 10th, 2024, 8:45 am

But it seems as though the Eden Prairie Town Center Station will have no access to the north (Costco direction)? Really unfortunate if that remains the case, a situation that calls for some political pressure.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 10th, 2024, 8:50 am

But it seems as though the Eden Prairie Town Center Station will have no access to the north (Costco direction)? Really unfortunate if that remains the case, a situation that calls for some political pressure.
The Emerson HQ is between the Asia Mall and Town Center station. Costco is a bit to the west.

But I wondered if a path could route along the pond to the east?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 10th, 2024, 8:53 am

EP's biggest culinary destination - Asia Mall - is actually pretty close to the Town Center station, at least as the crow flies.
I will unironically go to Asia Mall before 2035, when the train opens. It's actually pretty far away!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » April 10th, 2024, 9:27 am

looking at the design plans and property lines it looks like EP owns the road along side Emmerson. Im wondering if they want to eventually build the street between singletree and technology drive

There was also supposed to be a sidewalk connection at the end of the cul de sac toward the bowlero that doesn't look like it got built

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 10th, 2024, 9:57 am

There's some kind of redevelopment plan for the EP Town Center area (roughly the area along Singletree Ln), written maybe 10 years ago, that identifies the Walmart, Emerson, and Costco parcels for future redevelopment and grid infill. Probably mostly aspirational, but yeah, an extension of Commonwealth Dr up through the Walmart parking lot and continuing up to Technology Dr would do wonders for pedestrian mobility around the station.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » April 10th, 2024, 10:49 am

Found the area plan: Study, land use concept

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » April 12th, 2024, 4:31 pm

Dang, that plan looks awesome, but unfortunately not all of it will probably be implemented. I know that the last EP Quality of Life survey (from 2020, I think) had many comments relating to the lack of a walkable downtown, so there is a bit of public support for such a thing, but what would be required to implement it would most likely not go over well for many people, especially the redevelopment of the Walmart site.

To a degree, some of the concepts are already being implemented, like the new apartments popping up in these areas, but there are also a ton of car-oriented things like car washes and Chik-fil-a drive-throughs being built on the Town Center periphery. Much of the pedestrian infrastructure along Flying Cloud is terrible and there is no feasible way to access Target at the mall via Singletree with a bike, and the crossings have no curb cuts.

At most I think the area immediately surrounding the Town Center station would be redeveloped (like where the Dollar Tree strip mall is now), and the road near Bowlero gets extended across to form a grid.
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

pjknight01
Block E

Postby pjknight01 » April 13th, 2024, 8:54 am

Dang, that plan looks awesome, but unfortunately not all of it will probably be implemented. I know that the last EP Quality of Life survey (from 2020, I think) had many comments relating to the lack of a walkable downtown, so there is a bit of public support for such a thing, but what would be required to implement it would most likely not go over well for many people, especially the redevelopment of the Walmart site.

To a degree, some of the concepts are already being implemented, like the new apartments popping up in these areas, but there are also a ton of car-oriented things like car washes and Chik-fil-a drive-throughs being built on the Town Center periphery. Much of the pedestrian infrastructure along Flying Cloud is terrible and there is no feasible way to access Target at the mall via Singletree with a bike, and the crossings have no curb cuts.

At most I think the area immediately surrounding the Town Center station would be redeveloped (like where the Dollar Tree strip mall is now), and the road near Bowlero gets extended across to form a grid.
Who knows, that Walmart is one of the oldest in the Twin Cities and has never really been properly redesigned. I wouldn't put it past them to rebuild it in a more urban design (which they have done in other cities). That Walmart is really important to them since it is the only one that covers the entire SW Metro area, there really isn't another Walmart in the west metro until all the way up by Maple Grove.