Park and Portland Avenues

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Hero
Landmark Center

Re: Park and Portland Avenues

Postby Hero » January 21st, 2023, 11:32 pm

From the Application

"The roadways will be narrowed to slow drivers who today are enticed to drive excessively fast by the wide roadways. The project will add green space and bumpouts to benefit people crossing these A-minor relievers on foot and mobility devices by shortening the crossing distance and improving visibility. The project will have minimal if any impacts to on-street parking. The project will install accessibility ramps midblock to reduce the distance people who need to use ramps have to travel to get to sidewalk level and will include accessibility parking."
If they actually wanted to slow traffic wouldn't two way streets be the better call? Or raised pedestrian crossings?

Eoin_Urban
Block E

Postby Eoin_Urban » March 7th, 2024, 10:13 pm

Hennepin County applied to the same grant source to add an additional mile of protected bikeways from Lake Street to 38th Street.
https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation ... ase-2.aspx

Results should be announced later in 2024. Last cycle the Park/Portland protected bikeways were the highest scoring project out of 49 projects.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 8th, 2024, 10:05 am

I think I'd be ok with these streets remaining one-ways north of Lake Street, but south of Lake there is really no justification for keeping the one-way pair in place. Park Avenue shouldn't even be a county road south of Lake. I love the idea of returning Portland to two-way and turning Park into a MPRB parkway-style street (narrow two-way roadway, lots of space for trail and boulevard, etc.)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 8th, 2024, 11:36 am

Once you've got the street down to two lanes and calmed, I think that keeping it a one way is just fine. It eliminates the left turn conflicts, allows for some smart light timing, and I think there's some real value in maintaining a couple of north-south streets that still have some through-put capacity.