Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby DanPatchToget » February 25th, 2024, 9:19 pm

I used to be quite a car guy and loved driving. Like most Americans I felt a sense of freedom having a driver's license and a car, until all the costs associated with car ownership plus grueling traffic everyday became too much. On top of that when I studied in Oslo, Noway in 2015 I felt more freedom being independent from a car and driving. Contrary to what some may believe I'm not a car hater (for the most part), I just hate America's dependence on them, and I still have somewhat of an interest in cars, especially when it comes to new ways of fueling cars and other technological advances. Also while most Americans can't get enough of crossover SUVs, I will forever love station wagons and minivans for their practicality and, to me at least, their looks that I think are better than any crossover.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 26th, 2024, 8:16 am

Can relate to this - I grew up in suburbia and had never considered the possibility of car-free living until I started grad school at the U of M. Stepping off the bus on campus that first day, knowing that *I didn't have a car nearby* was honestly terrifying to me. It was like an invisible tether had been severed and my security felt broken.

Then, after a few weeks with an unlimited student transit pass, I couldn't imagine dealing with the hassle of having a car on campus.

And seconded on the love for minivans - I have 4 kids and I don't care how much of a dork I look like driving a minivan on roadtrips, our family just wouldn't fit in any other vehicle.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » February 28th, 2024, 10:21 pm

^ as a suburban urbanist and bus enthusiast, I cannot wait for that unlimited student transit pass... honestly one of things I look forward to the most about college.
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

daveybabymsp
Nicollet Mall

Postby daveybabymsp » February 28th, 2024, 10:50 pm

^ as a suburban urbanist and bus enthusiast, I cannot wait for that unlimited student transit pass... honestly one of things I look forward to the most about college.
Are you going to the U of M?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » February 29th, 2024, 2:59 pm

That's my current post-high school plan!
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 7th, 2024, 4:03 am

That's my current post-high school plan!
Aye congrats! I hope you get in! I'm hoping to go back to school there in the fall.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » March 8th, 2024, 8:58 pm

^ Hey, thank you! I fell in love with the U of M the first time I went to the East Bank a number of years ago, it has such great urban form.

I have a couple more confessions:
1. I live well within biking distance of my school, but I choose to use a car to get there on days I have extracurriculars (I don't drive, so I can take the bus home), since I'm too tired in the morning to even consider biking.

2. I've only taken a bus outside of state fair service twice, and they were both suburban coach buses.

3. Suburbs from the 50s and 60s are really cool to me (they also tend to follow more reasonable street layouts), it's just the 90s and later suburban developments I have a problem with.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 9th, 2024, 10:42 am

^ Hey, thank you! I fell in love with the U of M the first time I went to the East Bank a number of years ago, it has such great urban form.

I have a couple more confessions:
1. I live well within biking distance of my school, but I choose to use a car to get there on days I have extracurriculars (I don't drive, so I can take the bus home), since I'm too tired in the morning to even consider biking.

2. I've only taken a bus outside of state fair service twice, and they were both suburban coach buses.

3. Suburbs from the 50s and 60s are really cool to me (they also tend to follow more reasonable street layouts), it's just the 90s and later suburban developments I have a problem with.
I was also within biking distance of my high school and it never crossed my mind to try biking there, even though even back then I loved biking. I think it was partly a status thing (having a car makes you look more mature and independent), but also being lazy especially in the morning. However, even when I got my license I still took the bus to/from school a decent amount of times.

At least I made up for that in college as I only drove around 10% of the time (including the winters) I went to Normandale Community College and I never drove all the way to the U of M (I drove to a park & ride, but many times I walked or biked to the bus).

Korh
Rice Park

Postby Korh » March 9th, 2024, 11:25 am

Funny enough, the only time I've ever been hit on bike was by a school bus because I was being stupid with a friend and trying to race through the pick up drop off bus loop and literal biked straight into to one.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » March 9th, 2024, 4:29 pm

Yeah, I have my mom drop me off in the mornings that I have jazz band, but otherwise I take the school bus, which takes 45 minutes because my school sucks at optimizing their routes (at the end of the day, they go to the first stop furthest from the school and work their way back, so people living closest get home last), but I get to goof off with some of my friends, so it's worth it.

Eventually I will try biking, I just haven't figured out how to sleep like a normal person and wake up early without more than two alarm clocks :D