Discontinued Bus Routes

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Discontinued Bus Routes

Postby Tcmetro » March 11th, 2024, 12:46 pm

Agreed. It makes no sense to not at a minimum move the benches and take down the old signs. MVTA had a bus stop signing program about 15 years ago but it seems like they never completed it.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 11th, 2024, 5:45 pm

On the subject of long unused bus stops, here's one on Normandale & 94th Street in Bloomington:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8332729 ... &entry=ttu

The latest Street View images at this spot, which is June 2019, shows it's gone, but I firmly believe it was still there that month or the month prior when they began some road work at that intersection. The only bus route in this area right before the pandemic was Route 589, but southbound buses turned onto 94th, so it must've been for a branch of the 589 and/or the 539 C branch, both of which were discontinued years prior.

Also here's a MVTA bus stop that still has a route going by it, but it's very outdated:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7501656 ... &entry=ttu

Might be hard to see but the bus route number on the sign is 35M.

angrysuburbanite
Metrodome

Postby angrysuburbanite » April 7th, 2024, 7:37 pm

Anyone else get sad when they see a bus stop with a "this stop currently not served by any buses" sticker? I saw some in Excelsior, and a lot in Minnetonka, Hopkins, and SLP this past weekend. From my brief research, there are still 88 suspended routes.
"A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It's where the rich use public transportation."

Note: Many of the thoughts expressed above may be pretty stupid or ill-informed, with some rare good ideas interspersed.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 8th, 2024, 10:20 am

I wince every time I drive down St. Clair Avenue and see those signs. I know it was probably close to the worst-performing urban bus route in the system, but it's a long walk to Grand or Randolph...