Dogwood Coffee : mixed use

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
MidwayLuke
Block E

Dogwood Coffee : mixed use

Postby MidwayLuke » March 2nd, 2024, 12:10 am

https://www.longfellowwhatever.com/dogw ... XpJgBdB7pc

A brand new Dogwood, plus co-working and apartments, are coming to the vacant lot next door.
Longfellow Whatever
1 MAR 2024 — 4 MIN READ

Some details are still up in the air, but owners Dan and Angie Anderson are preparing to break ground this summer on a four-story building that will house a new Dogwood coffee shop at street level, an expansion of their neighboring Coven East Lake coworking space on the second floor, and two stories of apartments.

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Re: Dogwood Coffee : mixed use

Postby MinneapBliss » March 8th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Awesome. One less vacant lot on East Lake and (maybe?) opportunities for other small businesses to move into the current Dogwood and/or Coven spaces.

There was a proposal a couple years ago for a nice-looking mixed-use at 4301 E Lake (old Dragon City Chow Mein) but I haven't heard anything lately, which is too bad.
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

Wezle
Block E

Postby Wezle » March 10th, 2024, 4:32 pm

Interested to see how the opening of the B line will coincide with any other new developments along east lake. It's sometimes is a little disheartening walking down it and seeing so many empty lots post 2020. That and the strangely high number of used car lots and auto shops in such a relatively short stretch.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 11th, 2024, 2:27 pm

Every time I drive down 'far east' Lake Street (east of 36th Ave?) I ponder why there isn't more happening. The household incomes in the surrounding area are stronger than other parts of Lake, but the population density is low. There are good bones in place with a grocery store and a nice variety of restaurants, pubs, and coffee shops. There's even a few businesses that present as hip enough to help attract new residents (Dogwood, Milkweed, Bungalow Club, Hi-Lo, etc.) There's plenty of land to develop without the need to tear down much of anything. I'm sure development will come to this stretch of Lake eventually, but it needs a spark to get things going.

I doubt the B Line will be much of a direct factor in that renaissance, with the only stations being at 44th and 36th Ave. aBRT is unlikely to have much development effect beyond 1/4-mile from stations. 36th is already a pretty strong business node. 44th certainly has lots of capacity for growth

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » March 11th, 2024, 3:30 pm

I've felt this way for over a decade, but still scratch my head as to why. Aside from the economic/infrastructure draws already mentioned, the area is an easy bike ride or drive to downtown Mpls, the main U of M campus, and Minnehaha Falls / the river trail system in general. Not to mention proximity to the airport, an LRT station, and...St. Paul!! For a pro-density person in the area, it's almost painful to observe the lack of proposals for East Lake.
"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 12th, 2024, 10:00 am

Once interest rates start falling again (shouldn't be too much longer), it sure seems like development should be coming.