St. Anthony Main - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
Didier
Capella Tower

Re: St. Anthony Main - General Topics

Postby Didier » April 5th, 2022, 9:08 pm

A circular walking route could go a long way. Almost any time you go to the Stone Arch Bridge there are people there, many of them clearly visitors, but most seem to walk across and then turn back. The problem is that the Hennepin Bridge isn't a leisurely walk like the rest of the area.

Also, the St. Anthony Main area feels like a natural spot to encourage vendors, whether that's food carts or artists or something. Not sure if that's allowed now? I bet you could sell some caricatures.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » April 6th, 2022, 8:31 am

I liked this idea to turn the south deck of the Hennepin Avenue Bridge over to walking and biking exclusively.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 6th, 2022, 8:36 am

I liked this idea to turn the south deck of the Hennepin Avenue Bridge over to walking and biking exclusively.
I do too. I am not as sure about taking cars off of Hennepin. But, this area is so car-centric, I'm not sure what would happen if you removed them here.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » April 6th, 2022, 8:50 am

I'd like an actual trail from the #9 bridge to SE Main St that wasn't cutting across a rail yard ignoring the signs.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 6th, 2022, 1:12 pm

A continuation of E River Pkwy to Main would do wonders. With the U Of M Steam plant converting fully to natural gas that might be a possibility.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 6th, 2022, 1:36 pm

A continuation of E River Pkwy to Main would do wonders. With the U Of M Steam plant converting fully to natural gas that might be a possibility.
I guess I disagree with this. We've got a ton of parkways, but this little chunk of St. Anthony Main is unique in the city, and changes here should emphasize what's special about it. It should be a destination where food and beverage and retail take advantage of their adjacency to the riverfront. Expand outdoor seating, etc.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 6th, 2022, 1:54 pm

While Sean did say "continuation", I'll argue that a roadway connection needn't necessarily require a reconstruction of Main Street to typical MPRB Parkway standards. It could just be a connection, perhaps with a roundabout and gateway markings at 6th Ave SE to signify the changing character of the roadway and entrance into the "Main Street" district.

And if it's just a roadway connection and not an effort to turn Main St into a Parkway, I'll also argue that connecting East River Pkwy to 2nd St SE (at 11th Ave SE, making the current L intersection into a T intersection) would be just as good or better, and likely cheaper than a connection to Main. An East River Pkwy connection to 2nd St SE wouldn't result in as long of a continuous road as a connection to Main Street, but it would keep those extra trips off of the Main Street area and put them on 2nd St, which is very underutilized in that area, meaning it could handle a substantial increase in traffic without additional improvements.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 7th, 2022, 12:43 am

While we're talking St. Anthony Main, if you haven't seen "Untamed Heart," the 1993 Christian Slater classic, you should find it. An underrated Minneapolis classic. Anyone familiar with the area can identify his apartment right away.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 7th, 2022, 8:10 am

The Marcy Holmes neighborhood was pushing for this at some point. If ran it along the bluff somehow without it falling in the river along the U of M land...it would have spectucular views of the skyline and be a great connection to the U of M. (This would bypass BNSF) Be awesome if there was somehow a deck with skyline views with vendors somewhere along the river. I feel like that would be popular with locals and tourists and kinda offset the formality of Owamni

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 7th, 2022, 4:34 pm

Just finished up a week of dogsitting across the street from Father Hennepin Park, and probably a third of the trees (maybe half?) got white Xs recently. Are they cutting down a bunch of trees?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 8th, 2022, 7:17 am

Lots of Ash trees in there.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

altus4
Block E

Postby altus4 » April 10th, 2022, 10:15 pm

Father Hennepin Park is also supposed to have major improvements this year, right?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 11th, 2022, 11:31 am

MinneapBliss
Metrodome

Postby MinneapBliss » March 14th, 2024, 10:43 am

"That rug really tied the room together, did it not?" -Walter Sobchak

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 14th, 2024, 4:54 pm

Oooh, that's what they're up to in there. That'll be nice - Frgmnt's been pretty lonely on that block ever since Pivo's bold attempt to be a beer bar that closes at 8pm sharp ran out of steam.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]