Re: Westminster Church

Postby seanrichardryan » February 23rd, 2013, 7:26 pm

Sad.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 24th, 2013, 8:07 am

Hmmm. I guess I'm not sure what all the fuss is about with this building being torn down. It was a beautiful building when it was built, but they removed all the character decades ago with a cheesy remodel. It was in bad condition, very unattractive, and quite frankly a neighborhood eyesore. I actually like the new view of the church along 13th street with its Gothic architecture.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » February 24th, 2013, 12:16 pm

I would hardly call the building in bad condition or a neighborhood eyesore. I don't think it's appropriate to tear down perfectly functional buildings for parking lots except for in extreme cases where the buildings have no hope for occupancy or a *actually* serious eyesores. Don't forget that it wasn't just the office building, but also the apartment building behind it!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 24th, 2013, 12:42 pm

I'm starting to see how this spot could be one hell of a location for an apartment/condo.....the view in that picture is stunning!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 24th, 2013, 4:56 pm

I would hardly call the building in bad condition or a neighborhood eyesore. I don't think it's appropriate to tear down perfectly functional buildings for parking lots except for in extreme cases where the buildings have no hope for occupancy or a *actually* serious eyesores. Don't forget that it wasn't just the office building, but also the apartment building behind it!
I'd agree that if they tore down the building only to build a parking lot, that would be a major disappointment. At this time, in spite of a lot of hyperventilating on the forum, we really don't know what their plans are for the site. I remain optimistic that they've got bigger and better things in mind.

If they were really concerned just about parking, they could have very easily leased spaces in the Orchestra Hall ramp or Convention Center ramp for a fraction of the financial and political price that they're dealing with now.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 24th, 2013, 6:19 pm

If they were really concerned just about parking, they could have very easily leased spaces in the Orchestra Hall ramp or Convention Center ramp for a fraction of the financial and political price that they're dealing with now.
They already do that with the Orchestra Hall ramp

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Just look at that reflected sky!

IMG_2915 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 16th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Just look at that reflected sky!

IMG_2915 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
I've got to say the view of the reflective glass and the church is beautiful from this corner. It would make a nice little pocket park until its redeveloped.

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » March 16th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Beautiful. I can't wait to start parking there. I hope they'll be using the white reflective paint instead of the yellow. I'd be fine with either though as long as they number the stalls so I can remember exactly where I parked.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 25th, 2013, 2:40 pm

I also hope they install lots of that popular low wooden fence to keep pedestrians from cutting the corner past my parked car.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 5th, 2013, 3:48 pm

SURPRISE! They're asking for permission to construct a temporary (five years) parking lot here. Having not received any citizen input against it, the city is recommending approval:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 109367.pdf

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 5th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Boo. On the other hand:
Westminster Presbyterian Church also intends to demolish the 1221 Building once the leases, which extend to mid-2015, expire. Following the demolition of the 1221 Building, Westminster Presbyterian Church intends to redevelop both parcels which encompass the entire southerly portion of the block.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 5th, 2013, 4:39 pm

^^^I'm speculating they need a few years to plan the project, and also to raise the money for their expansion. I'm sure the redevelopment will cost double digit in the millions.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » June 6th, 2013, 8:22 am

In other news, sounds like the Church is trying to liven up the space in front of their newly acquired office building:
This Summer, a European style "Piazza on the Mall" is coming to Minneapolis on Nicollet Mall between 12th and 13th Streets (just south of Westminster Presbyterian Church). The Musicant Group has been retained by the owner of the space to transform the formerly barren concrete plaza into a vibrant piazza through the addition of a warm and inviting patio deck, new tables and chairs, a ping pong table, and bocce ball court. In addition to these new amenities there will be programs and activities happening in the space throughout the summer and into the fall, winter and beyond.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Piazza-o ... 84?fref=ts

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 6th, 2013, 4:00 pm

Uh, Ok. That's awesome.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 6th, 2013, 4:56 pm

If this is succesful, it would be nice if they incorporate the concept into their new project.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 26th, 2013, 3:40 pm

This parking lot actually looks pretty nice, well, as surface parking lots in the CBD go. Only half of the parcel is dedicated to parking, which looks like it's made of permeable pavers. The rest is a green space with two rows of trees, and the row closest to the sidewalk contains much larger mature trees. This either means they plan to keep the parking lot forever or will somehow incorporate this green space into the new development. My only complaint is the short fence around the grass. It would be nicer to actually provide a space for lingering instead of looking.

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » August 26th, 2013, 8:44 pm

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 26th, 2013, 8:48 pm

It's so awesome how they kicked a bunch of people out of their affordable housing to build a parking lot. Nice job being a church.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 27th, 2013, 8:59 am

Hmm... two rows of trees given a little time to mature, with plenty of room for a trail between them... makes for a perfect extension of the Loring Greenway when they bring the office building down... just a thought :)