Ward 10

Who wanted to be mayor?
Nick
Capella Tower

Ward 10

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2013, 9:46 pm

In what's probably the most interesting (and most relevant, to us pro-development folks) council race this year, Councilmember Meg Tuthill is running for reelection, and several challengers have emerged ahead of the DFL caucuses. They include Nate Griggs, Lisa Bender, Kendal Killian, and Ken Bradley.

Ward 10's new boundaries are drawn in a way that includes 3/4ths of Uptown (excluding the northwest corner) and 3/4ths of Lyn-Lake (excluding the southeast corner). There are well over a thousand residential units under construction in the Ward right now, and no shortage of debates about its future.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: Ward 10

Postby twincitizen » February 1st, 2013, 4:29 pm

To continue Nick's introduction before we get into it, there are some other issues that will come to a head in the next four years, primarily transportation projects that will require a passionate and energetic council member who is knowledgable in this field.
  • Midtown Corridor: Greenway or Lake Street? Streetcar or BRT?
  • Nicollet Avenue: Streetcar or BRT?
  • 35W/Lake Street Orange Line Freeway BRT Station design/implementation/issues.
  • Nicollet/Lake Street K-Mart redevelopment: reopen to cars or ped/transit mall? How tall/intense development? How to park it?
The Lake Street Orange Line Station should begin construction in 2015, while the other transportation projects will advance through the DEIS phases and hopefully be nearing construction by the end of this 4-year term. K-Mart will probably remain in business for the duration of this term, but the conversations and site-acquisition stuff will continue. Supervalu will probably be sold and close during the term.

Development will continue to march eastward along the Greenway into Whittier, as most of the easy (large & vacant) sites are already developed, under construction, or approved (Bennet Center & West blocks). Redevelopment plans for Rainbow Foods and Arby's (fingers and toes crossed) will hopefully be something we'll have to talk about.

Obvious sites for something taller, as in more than 6 stories, include the vacant parcel next to Calhoun Square and Mozaic Phase 2 (Lagoon Theater parking lot).
Last edited by twincitizen on February 4th, 2013, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » February 3rd, 2013, 3:09 pm

The Cheapo site could certainly offer a taller building as well. Who knows maybe Cheapo would even want to stay at the location.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 9th, 2013, 6:18 pm

A couple of upcoming debates:

The Southwest Journal and the League of Women Voters of Minneapolis are holding a 10th Ward City Council candidate forum March 12, 7-8 p.m., at First Universalist Church, 34th & Dupont:
http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/20 ... r-march-12

Sponsored by Uptown neighborhood Green Teams and moderated by a trained member of the League of Women Voters, this Tursday, March 28 event is for all declared 10th Ward candidates for City Council. This will be a forum on environmental issues and climate change. Taking place at an as yet to be named venue the debate will be from 7 pm to 8:30 pm.
http://wedgenewsmpls.wordpress.com/2013 ... 10-debate/

I'll go the first one if I can make it. I find the 2nd one less interesting...Ken Bradley will be hard to beat in a discussion about environmental issues.

I feel like there almost HAS to be a debate about density/land-use/transit stuff. Streets.MN, if you're reading this, you should host it!
Last edited by twincitizen on February 10th, 2013, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2013, 7:55 pm

Bill Lindeke talks to Lisa Bender on the latest Streets.MN Podcast: https://streets.mn/2013/02/10/podcast-2 ... sa-bender/

I'm getting pretty close to deciding to support her in this race. She's a planner by trade, what more could I want? There are 12 other councilmembers to care about boilerplate DFL/liberal issues. I think at least one should be someone who truly understands transportation, land-use, etc. and has lived in other CITIES to broaden their perspective. As you'll learn from the podcast, Lisa has lived and worked in San Francisco and NYC.

Ken Bradley is approaching this race almost entirely from an environmental perspective and I really like that he is a daily bus rider and has been living in the area for a long time. However, that's probably not enough for me to support him.

Kendal Killian, while a great guy, just comes off as too much of a DFL insider. I think he'd make a great future state rep, where boilerplate DFL/liberal issues actually matter, but that's not what we need in city leadership.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 13th, 2013, 8:58 pm

As April approaches (and hopefully I don't sound too malign-ey) I think it's really important for people to speak out about this race, and hopefully try to coalesce around one of the challengers ahead of the caucuses. It's not a big city, and a lot of the time people get caught up trying to be in charge of their own molehill. This is an important race, for symbolic reasons as much as anything else.

While it may not seem like it at times, a lot of people are aware of this site and certainly a lot of people with an interest in urban issues are. And that's what the meat of this campaign should be about, as twincitizen said above. So, to reiterate, I would really encourage people to get involved or donate. It's local politics, and a single person can legitimately make a difference.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 20th, 2013, 12:14 am

Has anyone else's Facebook Newsfeed been chock full of somewhat bizarre ads from Nate Griggs' page?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

HoratioRincewind
City Center

Postby HoratioRincewind » February 20th, 2013, 8:43 am

Most of the things that have come from his facebook page are a little off. It's one of the things that not having a lot of exposure to local politics or experience in campaigns results in. Even the framing of it is silly-- you're running for the 10th ward, who gives a hoot how many Minneapolis voters you can connect to through your 300 facebook friends, you need to connect with the 5000 people who will vote in the 10th ward next fall.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 24th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Odd.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 24th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Last one...I hope.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 6th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Uber last minute, but there is a happy hour meet & greet event for Ward 10 candidate Lisa Bender at Uptown Cafeteria tonight at 5:30pm. Myself and possibly a few other UrbanMSPers will be in attendance.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » March 9th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Wasn't able to make it but I am supporting Lisa Bender.

I can't reiterate enough how it important it is to get involved in local elections, especially at caucus time. No matter who you support, the race to November is on and those who do strongest at the DFL convention in April/May (depending on Ward) will have the momentum by being the top two front runners. That is, unless we're talking about Ward 2 where the Green Party is strong.

If you care about city issues, this IS THE TIME to have a great impact over the next five years.

Lastly, for those who professionally worry about getting involved with candidates, the DFL ward conventions allow people to participate without publicly supporting anyone. If you caucus and get to the convention (which should happen), you can choose not to wear any stickers, publicly endorse, etc. The vote will be by ballot. I've known city employees, elected officials, and business folks who have all participated without telling people who they support. It's an option if that's why you aren't wanting to participate.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 11th, 2013, 11:04 am

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 12th, 2013, 9:50 am

2nd/Final Reminder for the Ward 10 Candidate Forum TONIGHT @ 7PM, 3400 DUPONT (First Universalist Church)

If you are hoping to get your question submitted to the candidates, it has been suggested that you arrive no later than 6:45. Does anyone want to grab a drink and/or appetizers before or after the event? It's "Happier Tuesday" at Amazing Thailand on Hennepin, which basically means that happy hour runs all night. Jalepeno cream cheese wontons FTW. I'm also open to other locations that might be closer to the venue.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » March 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm

I was too hung over to make it last night so I appreciate Matt's tweeting of the debate. Didn't see any Tuthill quotes on there for some reason...

If they have another debate I would love to ask about the Hennepin/Lyndale Bottleneck reconstruction. This is likely to be the most important project for Ward 10 (and many others) in the next council term, so it would be great to know candidates thoughts, at the least on whether it deserves a major overhaul or if it more or less works as is, in their opinion.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2013, 6:36 pm

There is another forum coming up, specifically focused on environmental issues. I'll edit a link in here later.

Has anyone seen Nate Griggs' last couple Facebook statuses? This guy doesn't have a clue. He got rich off some contracting gig in Afghanistan and is entirely self-financing a campaign that will not solicit donations, call voters, or knock on doors. He thinks he can win via Facebook alone. Meanwhile, he's talking about the International Space Station and people are commenting on his page "where's ward 10?"

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » March 19th, 2013, 8:29 pm

What is your source that he "got rich off some contracting gig in Afghanistan"? I just assumed he was self-financing his Facebook campaign because it isn't that expensive to finance via Facebook. If anything, I assume he is choosing to use Facebook along because he can't afford to send out lit.

As much as people write him off, I think he asks some interesting questions and should participate in city issues once he returns back. I think there are better prepared and fitting candidates, but I will give him credit that he is analytical and goal oriented. There are many more people who have represented this City who care more about the politics of it than they do about good leadership. So I hope he gets engaged on city issues, as he has an under-represented approach that our neighborhoods could benefit from.

I believe he is back in town any day and will be participating at the forum.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2013, 9:25 pm

I just assumed "private contractor working in Afghanistan" means big bucks. I think that's a fair assumption, no? I mean, I wouldn't go there for less than $100k/year. Also, my definition of rich is very, very low.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 19th, 2013, 9:56 pm

Meg Tuthill announced two endorsements on her Facebook page:

'Such an exciting announcement for my campaign! I am proud to receive the endorsements from the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis and the Fire Fighters Association of Minneapolis Local 82! These men and women who serve our city are great and I am honored by their support!'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 20th, 2013, 9:50 am

Given the recent history of those two unions, I'd be less inclined to vote for a candidate receiving their endorsement.