The 700 on Washington - (700 Washington Avenue Southeast)

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

The 700 on Washington - (700 Washington Avenue Southeast)

Postby lordmoke » February 28th, 2013, 1:23 pm

Well, kiss Sally's goodbye too, I guess.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 104917.pdf

On the plus side, I think this one is GORGEOUS. Really hope this gets built! Six stories, 98 units, and colored like a hornet!

Silophant

Re: 301 Walnut (Sally's Building)

Postby Silophant » February 28th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Wow. I'd been making bets with myself on the next building on Washington to be redeveloped, and I definitely expected the chipotle/punch/navy recruiter buildings to be next to go, or maybe the liquor store.

I wonder if Sally's is considering moving back into the new building? It looks like a good part of the first floor is set aside for a restaurant with an outdoor patio, like Sally's currently has. And if any of the bars in Stadium Village can pay the rent in a new building, I'd expect Sally's to.

Final thought: I wonder if this might finally be a normal apartment building, as opposed to a luxury? Seems like the units are a bit smaller than, say, the ones in SVF, and there's only one lounge on the top floor, instead of one per floor, also like SVF.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 28th, 2013, 2:25 pm

11,000 SF....is that large enough for Sally's? I think so. If I had to guess I'd say Sally's is between 5K and 8K SF, but I really have no idea. It'd be too bad to lose an establishment like Sally's (the only bar on campus that I've actually been to....multiple times), but I also have a hard time seeing a student building have a bar in the same place where students (mostly underage) will be living.

But I also like the rendering -- very bumble bee!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 28th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Yes! Thank the lord for the Cunningham Group. (I might be biased once having an internship there) This is what needs to be happening in the youthful parts of our city for sure. Talk about playing up diversity in style and architecture in the area.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 28th, 2013, 3:10 pm

I'll miss Sally's. Hopefully it comes back better than ever in the new space.

Was this approved? What would the timeline be?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 28th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Some of the renderings even have "Sally's" occupying the retail space...

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 28th, 2013, 3:37 pm

I just saw that. Those same images also show a Gold Country sign at the on other side of the building. Maybe the plan is to bring all three ground floor businesses back to the new building? (Though I'd be happier if Topper's disappeared and Ben and Jerry's came back. As much as I like pizza, Stadium Village didn't need a third chain pizza place.)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I hear Nick was planning to open a Pizza Ranch franchise.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » February 28th, 2013, 9:16 pm

I've been boycotting Sally's for four years, because of their (racist) dress code.

I'll be drinking champagne the day the wrecking ball hits that smelly frat-boy magnet...

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 28th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Very cool. I think in the main U of M project thread I brought this lot up as a big potential given its location.

I'll nitpick and say this style of architecture is wearing on me.. lots of it in Uptown and UofM already 0 corrugated metal with funky accent color(s). It's fine that there's a generational style going on, but given how many projects have/are going up in such a focused area it seems like overload. I'll admit the color scheme is pretty cool.

And hopefully the courtyard will work with Sally's. I like the inside of Sally's today - spacious, lots of wood character, etc. Hopefully whatever goes in here is just as good (and I can't see Sally's leaving).

Very cool that we will have a solid line of good street-level urbanism on this stretch of Washington.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 28th, 2013, 9:19 pm

I've been boycotting Sally's for four years, because of their (racist) dress code.

I'll be drinking champagne the day the wrecking ball hits that smelly frat-boy magnet...
Is Sally's any more of a frat magnet than Library or Blarney? I wasn't aware of a dress code?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2013, 9:40 pm

What exactly is a racist dress code? Aren't people free to dress themselves however they want?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 28th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Nice. I hope we can keep a couple of the more substantial older buildings on Washington though. I like the one next to this and the one that has Chipotle in it down the street. Not to sound too much like a Nimby, but I would hate to see ALL of the old buildings become super block apartments.

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » March 1st, 2013, 12:22 am

Is Sally's any more of a frat magnet than Library or Blarney? I wasn't aware of a dress code?
No plain white tee shirts, i know from experience as I was not let in one pouring rain summer night. Also Sallys is pretty dead except for their free drink hours haha

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 1st, 2013, 8:25 am

Sally's is a great place. Go there often for sporting events. Will be missed. But looking forward to another great development in this area.

With regards to a dress code. I have never had a problem wearing anything there. From t-shirts, to backwards caps. They do not have a dress code. And how any dress code is racist is beyond me. Claiming something is racist is racism in itself. So just stop with it.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » March 1st, 2013, 9:00 am

A racist dress code is a dress code that is enforced unequally depending on who is wearing the clothes. IE an Oakland Raiders jersey and hat on a white frat boy may be allowed, but the same on a young black male would be considered "gang colors".

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2013, 9:17 am

Ok that seems racist. But it's the unequal enforcement that's racist, not the dress code.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » March 1st, 2013, 9:30 am

^^^Sally's does enforce their dress code unequally, hence my beef with it. I've seen white frat boys let in in baggy shorts, backwards hats, and "wife beaters" literally right before African-American patrons were denied entry because they were wearing the same things.

And as far as Library and Blarney being frat-magnets, yes....excellent point. I generally avoid those two when I'm in town, as well, unless my friends insist or I'm really stricken with the mood (which I am, occasionally...)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 1st, 2013, 11:39 am

Speaking of gang colors and dress codes, nobody is questioning the fact this building is clearly all dressed up in Iowa Hawkeye colors!

Who hates Iowa?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 1st, 2013, 12:05 pm

Every freshman, if I've been doing my job as a Welcome Week Leader correctly.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]