Type II LRVs - Siemens S70

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Re: Type II LRVs - Siemens S70

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 27th, 2013, 12:10 pm

For those who rode the new Type-II LRVs, did you notice what the destination sign said? Was it a blue square, or did it still say 55?
Interestingly, the Type I LRVs still display the route number 55, which seems to indicate that the rebranding will happen soon, since I doubt they would want the line to have split personalities for too long. Will they do it any sooner than the opening of the Red Line in May or June?

Siemens LRVs on the Blue Line by MSPdude, on Flickr

New Siemens LRVs by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 27th, 2013, 12:22 pm

I wonder if they need more Type II LRVs so they can rotate through the Type I LRVs and retrofit signage/displays etc.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 28th, 2013, 10:04 am

Love the 2nd photo "America!" Can someone Photoshop a bald eagle in there?

The Hiawatha to Blue Line transition will begin in May. No word if the route numbering will remain public or move to internal only.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 13th, 2013, 6:25 pm

Three items:The Siemens set (203 & ?) I rode yesterday evening was twelve minutes behind schedule.

206 is sitting in the Franklin yard

Two trains wrapped in blue are awaiting final delivery between Franklin and Lake.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 13th, 2013, 9:29 pm

So they are still running the type IIs? I am constantly along Hiawatha and ride it almost daily and have yet to even see one since the week they rolled out.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 13th, 2013, 10:30 pm

I'm surprised you haven't seen them yet, but maybe they start the day in specific time slots that put them somewhere else when you ride. When I went hunting for them one day, I bounced around between a few stations before watching the first pair go south while I was on a Bombardier heading north. I got off at the next stop and took the next southbound train, then got off at 28th Avenue station in Bloomington and caught the Siemens set as they returned from the MoA.

I decided to try and do that moving survey method since you're not supposed to hang out on station platforms, though I suppose there are a couple where there are public sidewalks nearby where loitering would be tolerated. The Hennepin Ave and Nicollet Mall stations come to mind. Those stops also have the advantage that the LRVs are moving slow enough for a person to identify them, get over to the platform, swipe a Go-To card, and board before the trains zip away.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » March 14th, 2013, 6:31 am

They've been out in recent days but weren't for roughly ten days. I biked into the office this morning rather than take the train and spotted one pulling into 50th at 625. Like Mulad I've sought them out but since I can see the trains from my kitchen I wait for southbound train to by and catch it on its northbound return.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » March 14th, 2013, 10:36 am

I've seen them leaving Target Field station the last couple mornings at 8:28, if you're willing to get up early for a more sure bet.
"Who rescued whom!"

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 30th, 2013, 6:36 pm

I spotted a 3-car train of the new LRVs at Cedar-Riverside Station, although I couldn't tell for sure if it was in service or not. There is no event today that I know of that would require 3-car trains on a Saturday, but maybe they were testing to prepare for the (chilly) Twins Home Opener on Monday.
My flickr photos.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 30th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Someone commented on the gap between the bottom of the doors and the floor earlier. I noticed this as well when I rode on Thursday, and it looks like the doors have to be that short to clear the platform when they open. I'm not sure how this is different from the Type I vehicles. My guess is either the new ones are slightly below the platform whereas the old ones were slightly above, or the doors open up farther away from the body of the car on the new vehicles.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 30th, 2013, 6:48 pm

On Metro Transit's facebook page, they commented that they are working on developing something to retrofit onto the bottom of the doors to fix the gap.

Otherwise, they could just have a sign on the floor of the LRVs and on the platform saying "Mind the Gap". ;)
My flickr photos.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » April 1st, 2013, 11:52 pm

I spotted a 3-car train of the new LRVs at Cedar-Riverside Station, although I couldn't tell for sure if it was in service or not. There is no event today that I know of that would require 3-car trains on a Saturday, but maybe they were testing to prepare for the (chilly) Twins Home Opener on Monday.
They have had the 3 LRV consist in service beginnning last Friday

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » April 2nd, 2013, 4:36 pm

Two blue plastic wrapped vehicles sitting between Franklin and Lake awaiting delivery.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » April 2nd, 2013, 10:42 pm

I have to say I really like the door closing sound MUCH better then on the older type 1's. They look pretty good on the inside also.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 2nd, 2013, 10:56 pm

Finally got to ride one yesterday. Has anyone noticed that there is a delay when the doors open?

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » April 3rd, 2013, 1:12 am

I saw the three car train the other evening with all its blue lights burning magesticly as it sped off into the dark night.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » April 3rd, 2013, 7:19 am

I've noticed the door delay as well

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 3rd, 2013, 1:11 pm

So the two cars made it int the Strib:
http://www.startribune.com/blogs/201139 ... =news-stmp

I'm not sure if we ever got a definitive answer on what "DO NOT HUMP" means, but if not, here's a pretty good explanation the Strib link to:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... lroad-cars

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » May 3rd, 2013, 7:58 am

Two blue wrapped Siemens trains are sitting next to the delivery tie in area between lake and Franklin.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 3rd, 2013, 9:13 am

Thanks for the heads up! Is anyone able to give a breakdown of how many have arrived so far and how many are in service?