Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby MNdible » April 9th, 2013, 8:51 am

So much for my plans to build a sweet Flatiron building. Eminent domain, baby!

EDIT: I guess those links aren't going to work... Oh well. If you go to the Hennepin County board meeting page, and click through the link to the Regional Railroad Authority agenda, you can see the supporting documents for this interesting little parcel.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 9th, 2013, 11:04 am

Does this work?

http://board.co.hennepin.mn.us/sirepub/ ... 301589.PDF

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at, or what you are talking about though....

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 9th, 2013, 11:15 am

The small triangle of land highlighted in the drawing has no discernible owner, so legally the county must use eminent domain to acquire it for the project. It seems the city had a road easement on the spot for over 100 years, so the property owner either died or abandoned it at some point, as it was worthless. Very bizarre.

mulad

Postby mulad » April 10th, 2013, 10:31 am

theroose
Block E

Postby theroose » April 10th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place for this or if it should have it's own thread but I saw this on twitter tonight. I wonder if Shapco is just growing and has the need for a larger space or if their "hunt for a new location" is being influenced by development plans for the area around the interchange.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 10th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I heard a while ago Pohlads were interested. It seemed inevitable that Shapco was not long for that intersection.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 10th, 2013, 10:10 pm

This seems to imply that new stadiums drive at least some development. What the hell happened to DTE?!?! C'mon Minneapolis. Get it right with the new Vikings Stadium.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » April 11th, 2013, 8:03 am

The small triangle of land highlighted in the drawing has no discernible owner, so legally the county must use eminent domain to acquire it for the project. It seems the city had a road easement on the spot for over 100 years, so the property owner either died or abandoned it at some point, as it was worthless. Very bizarre.

maybe turn it into a park and compete with portland for smallest park:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Ends_Park

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 11th, 2013, 11:36 am

This seems to imply that new stadiums drive at least some development. What the hell happened to DTE?!?! C'mon Minneapolis. Get it right with the new Vikings Stadium.
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housin ... osts/5124/

The Atlantic just did a little research on it. Not surprising that a stadium bringing in between 10-40k people 81x a year outperforms a stadium bringing in 55-60k 8-10x a year in the need for bars/restaurants/shops. However, I think if the Vikings do it right, DTE can do well (especially given the river-front development already increasing the surrounding values).

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 11th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Just speculating, but perhaps it's because Target Field was built at the transition point between the most productive area of downtown and the newest, hottest residential area—and bridged a major barrier in doing so. The North Loop was already plenty hot on its own; TF was a large piece in a puzzle that had already been half-finished.

DTE is a different animal with far more wasteland and a bigger gap to fill. Not only is it farther from the most productive part of downtown, but the hot development in this area (Mill District) is off to the side, rather than directly across the gap from DTW. The new stadium isn't going to be right at the transition point. It's a bookend—unless something is done about the 35W trench/barrier. If that can be covered over or better connected to the east somehow, the stadium has potential to be a crossroads rather than just a big f'ing wall.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » April 12th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Plans for the Shapco site are listed on a City document listing applications for various grants:
Shapco Printing Redevelopment (524 5th Street N.)...
The developer, United Properties, intends to demolish the existing Shapco Printing building on this 1.21 acre site and construct a new single tenant office building that will accommodate up to 1,100 employees. The planned 8-story building will be about 250,000 square feet, with one level of underground parking. The projected total development cost is $56,900,000. Grant funds, if awarded, will be used for soil remediation and for the abatement of hazardous materials in the existing building on the site. (City economic development staff members are working with leaders of Shapco Printing, the company that will be displaced, to retain them in Minneapolis.)
The development site is located along 5th St N between 5th and 6th Aves N in the North Loop neighborhood. The future land use map in The Minneapolis Plan for Sustainable Growth designates the area as Mixed Use, and it is within the Interchange Transit Station Area (TSA). Office is an appropriate use in this area and therefore the project would be in conformance with the comprehensive plan for land use.
It also mentions that United plans to present to the North Loop NA on April 17th.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 12th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Interesting... both this project and The Plymouth Building are seeking a cool million, but the City explicitly rates this project as the higher priority of the two. Makes sense I guess...the Plymouth Building is already there paying taxes, while Shapco is presumably paying much less than this office building would. Also it would be shiny, new, and next to Target Field and the Interchange.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » April 12th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Could this be the National Bone Marrow Program?

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » April 12th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Not sure if this is the correct place for this or if it should have it's own thread but I saw this on twitter tonight. I wonder if Shapco is just growing and has the need for a larger space or if their "hunt for a new location" is being influenced by development plans for the area around the interchange.
I know that currently most of the workers are actually in the Duffy paper building next door, with the actual building being for printing. Makes sense that they want everyone under one roof!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 15th, 2013, 6:14 am

that is really interesting. they must have a tennant lined up. 1,100 employees, not too shabby. spec office development is rare downtown so they must have a big user in mind. let the speculation begin.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 15th, 2013, 8:23 am

Could this be the National Bone Marrow Program?
What, United's presentation on the 17th? If that's what you were asking, no....I don't think United is searching for properties for NBMP. In fact, I think Hines is their project manager. United would be presenting this Shapco building I think, or at least that's how I read it in the article.

8 floors for 250,000 square feet -- wow! With that much square footage I would have expected at least 20 floors! I guess I'll add this to the official list of projects going on in downtown Minneapolis...

What IS the latest on the National Bone Marrow Donors HQ??

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 15th, 2013, 5:23 pm

I haven't seen this rendering before, but maybe it's been floating around, from their website...

Also an animation I hadn't seen before.

http://www.theinterchange.net/images/ca ... ow_res.avi

mulad

Postby mulad » April 16th, 2013, 5:52 am

They've added a countdown clock to the bottom of the website. It currently says "Coming in... 350 Days, 0 hours, 07 minutes". So... April 1st, 2014?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » April 16th, 2013, 7:46 am

8 floors for 250,000 square feet -- wow! With that much square footage I would have expected at least 20 floors! I guess I'll add this to the official list of projects going on in downtown Minneapolis...
I don't know about that. For example, here's an office tower in Bloomington that's 280,000 square feet and 13 stories tall (http://www.normandale.com/Buildings_8300.aspx). From what I can tell, that building doesn't have a massive footprint, either.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » April 16th, 2013, 10:53 am

I haven't seen this rendering before, but maybe it's been floating around, from their website...

Also an animation I hadn't seen before.

http://www.theinterchange.net/images/ca ... ow_res.avi
Thanks for the rendering! I had not seen that... Im assuming the interchange eliminates the stop that is currently infront of the stadium where the line ends now?