4Marq - 400 Marquette Ave (313' - 30 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: 4Marq - (400 Marquette Avenue)

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2013, 10:32 am

How exactly is a canyon feeling a good thing? Because it looks cool? In Chicago, the canyon streets can be miserable to walk when they channel a cold wind. Canyons may be better than a surface lot, but I'll measure the quality of projects based on how they address the sidewalk. (not saying this project is bad, just the canyon metric)

John
Capella Tower

Re: Mortenson Apartment Tower - (400 Marquette Avenue)

Postby John » April 18th, 2013, 10:34 am

And who knew John was such a large producer of bodily fluids?
I cried me a river when they downsized Nic on Fifth. I've recovered nicely though ;) . I don't think 4Marq is any great masterpiece, but as far as creating more density and a canyon effect along Marquette, it does a good job ( as Nasa previously stated ). Redisciple and Mattaudio also make some good points about the street level. That definitely could use some improvement to subdue the parking ramp above.

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 18th, 2013, 10:48 am

If Nic on 5th had not been downsized, it would have been roughly the exact same height as its neighboring shorter 5th st tower and possibly this new apt. Not sure if that would have looked so good. At least now you have some variences in height between the 3, pending on the height of 400 M, which appears it will be in the height range somewhere between nic on fith and the 5th street tower. So maybe it will all look better when finished verses having 3 buildings so close together the same height?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 18th, 2013, 11:18 am

One issue that 4Marq creates is its going to block a lot of views for Nic on Fifth residents facing the northeast. Its also going to be taller. I wonder what Opus thinks? In a way I think it sort of downgrades their project.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » April 18th, 2013, 11:24 am

It seems like Mortenson is just one-upping Opus here. "Oh you are making a high-rise apartment downtown? We will make one right next to it except taller, sleeker and won't take nearly as long making it a reality".

Edit: Didn't see John's post above :-) great minds think alike

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2013, 11:33 am

Is it too late for Opus to add some height in response? :)

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 18th, 2013, 11:42 am

One issue that 4Marq creates is its going to block a lot of views for Nic on Fifth residents facing the northeast. Its also going to be taller. I wonder what Opus thinks? In a way I think it sort of downgrades their project.

It's not blocking much. If you want to check it out... download the model of 4marq and the model of nic on 5th (from my post last page). I'm looking right now... here...

before

after

This perspective is from a deck on the upper floors of Nic on 5th. That blue tint is a 3.5' glass wall/railing... The grey to the right is the floor of the deck.
Last edited by m b p on April 18th, 2013, 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 18th, 2013, 11:45 am

Either that or build another one taller. I would love to see builders and developers competing with height and number of projects in Minneapolis!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 18th, 2013, 11:48 am

m p b, how did you get so many models in Google Earth? I just downloaded it, and I can only find finished models for about 1/4 of the buildings in the city. Am I missing something here, or have yo just gone and made the whole city yourself?

Love that you've been throwing together models for the proposals. It's great to get an idea of how they'll impact the city. The Planning Commission should really have access to these.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 18th, 2013, 11:56 am

It seems like Mortenson is just one-upping Opus here. "Oh you are making a high-rise apartment downtown? We will make one right next to it except taller, sleeker and won't take nearly as long making it a reality".
Love this. I hope this is one-upping and that it becomes a trend in this city!

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 18th, 2013, 11:59 am

m p b, how did you get so many models in Google Earth? I just downloaded it, and I can only find finished models for about 1/4 of the buildings in the city. Am I missing something here, or have yo just gone and made the whole city yourself?

not sure what you mean...

In google earth, there is an option on the left, under layers, called '3d buildings'. Make sure that is checked. You should then be able to see all 'accepted' models in google earth... from every city, worldwide. My models aren't 'accepted,' because they haven't been built yet, and they aren't 100% accurate in color and in shape. So... they never will be accepted. But... you can download them, none the less, and view them in your version of google earth... even save them into your version of google earth. On the left, under 'places,' right click on their title. Click 'save to my places.'
Love that you've been throwing together models for the proposals. It's great to get an idea of how they'll impact the city. The Planning Commission should really have access to these.
Thanks... I'm glad someone appreciates them. ;)
Last edited by m b p on April 18th, 2013, 1:17 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 18th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Personally I'm very undecided on this I don't think it's outstanding either, but I think it's something that can look decent for a long period of time. I like the geometries of it, ties in with other architecture in the DT area. I can say, aside from the street presence it's far better than The Nic on 5th (which is very faddy in material use and placement) in terms of the longevity of the style.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 18th, 2013, 1:44 pm

One thing they could easily do to improve the top would be to repeat the tower's whitish square skeletal structure in a narrowing pattern to culminate with a crown. Would soften the boxiness, add a little height, and give it a more vertical orientation.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » April 18th, 2013, 2:08 pm

One thing they could easily do to improve the top would be to repeat the tower's whitish square skeletal structure in a narrowing pattern to culminate with a crown. Would soften the boxiness, add a little height, and give it a more vertical orientation.

I think the top is the only thing it has going for it. More Top!

beykite
Nicollet Mall

Postby beykite » April 18th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Thanks... I'm glad someone appreciates them.
I love them! In fact if you have the time I'd love to see Stonebridge and 222 as well...

While it won't stick out much in the skyline it will still be pretty visible from some iconic vantage points. Great infill making the city look denser.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » April 18th, 2013, 2:46 pm

I would like to like it, but I'm not sure right now. It doesn't look like there is anything new in the architectural ideas at all. This could have been designed in 1965, right down to the tiny operable window in each corner. I hope to god that grid is not precast concrete.

On the other hand, it certainly has a Mad Men vibe to it.
Last edited by Avian on April 18th, 2013, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » April 18th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Personally, I like the look better than Nic on 5th, but what are the chances of retail on Marquette? Also, I wonder if this will be skyway connected.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2013, 3:09 pm

The Urban Works guys who presented at the DMNA meeting a couple months ago mentioned that they were working stuff out with Opus for a skyway connection.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » April 18th, 2013, 5:04 pm

When will more details likely be released (exact height, exact look)?

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » April 18th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Probably when they submit a formal application to the city.