Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Minneboy » May 15th, 2013, 8:08 pm

I suppose one could say the Armory is/was a bunker and look at it's significance now. The future is brighter.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 15th, 2013, 11:33 pm

The Yahoo! Sports article comment of the day:

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 16th, 2013, 7:08 am

Regarding why the roof isn't entirely transparent, is it possible that the architects wanted to intentionally create shade in the seating bowl? That way we can choose seats based not just on sightlines but also on sun exposure. At an MLS game in late July, seats in the shade will be mighty comfy.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 16th, 2013, 7:48 am

That's a big deciding factor for many at TCF Bank Stadium. With the E-W orientation and open air design, the sun is pretty much on the south side of the stadium the whole time. In the early games, the home (south) side is really nice as you're in the shade the whole time while the weather is nice and the away side looks in to the sun (and it gets darn hot over there). But come late October/November, the shady side gets a little chillier. I don't mind the cold (and I like hearing the marching band) so I sit on the home side.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 16th, 2013, 8:21 am

Agree with RailBaron. Sun exposure is a huge part of our seat selection at TCF. We choose the most sun exposure, as that is our preference.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » May 16th, 2013, 9:07 am

The way the sun angles, especially during football season, the northern bowl seats under the opaque portion of the roof would probably get the most sun, from the sidelines up to the nosebleeds.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 16th, 2013, 9:10 am

The way the sun angles, especially during football season, the northern bowl seats under the opaque portion of the roof would probably get the most sun, from the sidelines up to the nosebleeds.
Right. I wonder how much shade the solid roof will actually supply. Maybe enough to shade the upper deck mid-day in June? Doesn't seem like that would be the primary reason for it.
Towns!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » May 16th, 2013, 9:51 am

Right. I wonder how much shade the solid roof will actually supply. Maybe enough to shade the upper deck mid-day in June? Doesn't seem like that would be the primary reason for it.
I think it blocks the view of Green Bay, from my angular calculations.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 16th, 2013, 2:27 pm

I posted this at SSC, but may as well offer these observations here, too.

The seemingly random stainless steel lines on the facades actually trace the interior ramps serving the concourses. (I am assuming they are SS, since one elevation clearly shows a metallic reflection off the lines)

The facets help the building stay within the tight footprint of the site since a rectangular building wouldn't work with the streets here. (Well, it might, but then there wouldn't be room for any outdoor spaces - especially media parking on the east side.) And while we often think of a football field as being symmetrical, the corresponding stadium never is in terms of its functions. Here, there is a major service entrance to the east, the main spectator entrance to the west, and the (I assume) primary food concourses to the north and south. The asymmetry of the functions are expressed with the facades.

The tilted translucent portion of the roof seems to actually face due south to maximize solar gain since the street grid is 42 degrees off of the cardinal directions. This asymmetry also allows for the main facade to be higher and face directly into the downtown core of buildings.

The gigantic diagonal truss simplifies the structure around the perimeter which then allows for more "free form" facades and easy placement of glass areas.

The entire roof system "floats" above the facades to provide a continuous clerestory. This helps balance the light coming in from the vast skylight because otherwise the interior would be too contrasty. This also provides for a complex system of gutters to keep rainwater and melting snow from sliding onto the sidewalks.

I thought I'd heard that there was Kasota stone being used somewhere. I don't see a single block of it though. The facades seems to be all zinc, glass and steel.

I also think there could be pretty cool views through the roof from a blimp at night!
Last edited by Avian on May 16th, 2013, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 16th, 2013, 2:33 pm

The tilted translucent portion of the roof seems to actually face due south to maximize solar gain since the street grid is 42 degrees off of the cardinal directions. This asymmetry also allows for the main facade to be higher and face directly into the downtown core of buildings.
Really? It seems to me like like it follows the street grid exactly...

http://prod.images.vikings.clubs.nflcdn ... 0_1024.jpg
Towns!

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 16th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Yes, the walls follow the street but the plane of the roof actually tilts asymmetrically toward the south. It's easier to see on the south facade rendering, which is in reality the southwest facade..

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 16th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Oh, and for the heck of it, I thought I'd show how the seeming "random" shape of the stadium can be arrived at using just two steps:

While the end result isn't exactly like the stadium, the fundamental design process was probably very similar. To get the "prow", all you'd need to do in Step 2 is rotate the roof along the y-axis so the left side is higher than the right.

And from here, all you need do is push and pull the points in and out along the ground line to get something that is even closer to the real design.

― Plato

Jeremie
Block E

Postby Jeremie » May 16th, 2013, 9:05 pm

I was at the Elliot Park Building and Land Use meeting tonight where Michele Kelm-Helgen presented on the stadium. Was able to learn a couple things:

- Do not pay too much attention to the layout around the outside of the stadium building itself. That will be fleshed out in later iterations by HKS.
-The 11th street/highway side entrance will be at grade or just a slight slope compared to that abrupt mess that exists today. Will Contain vegetation and more inviting entrance.
- There was some communication between the stadium group and Ryan Cos/the city in regards to the new development, but they did not plan anything together. I asked specifically about the fact that it looks like the grand entrance faces slightly away from the new park and she acknowledged that and did not really seem to have thought about it before. I hope to press that issue further as it seems like an oversight. Their only thought was to have it point towards the downtown skyline, not how it would interact with a park out front.
- May be common knowledge but new to me: Going west away from the stadium the first block of park after Chicago will be owned by the stadium authority and the next 2 (past Park and Portland) will be owned by city if that Ryan cos project goes through. So there will have to be some working together there - not sure how that would work out.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 18th, 2013, 7:09 am

It certainly doesn't look like a typical stadium. In fact conceptually it reminds me of a few things that others have pointed out but another thing that they used during the press conference was jagged ice and it does remind me of that as well, especially with the large amount of glass. My hope is that at every night they light the inside with LED's. I'm thinking primarily in blue but it would be cool to have it change or even multiple colors at the same time like a rough cut diamond.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 18th, 2013, 8:43 am

Very preliminary but there was no mention of a hall of fame, team store? I would have thought that these would have separate entrances for non-gameday use. Purple seats? In other new stadiums they hang all of the championship banners. We don't have one yet, ha ha, but there are 4 NFC championships and all of those division titles. I know it is multi-purpose but you want some evidence that it is the home of the Vikings. Just curious.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » May 18th, 2013, 9:11 am

Very preliminary but there was no mention of a hall of fame, team store? I would have thought that these would have separate entrances for non-gameday use. Purple seats? In other new stadiums they hang all of the championship banners. We don't have one yet, ha ha, but there are 4 NFC championships and all of those division titles. I know it is multi-purpose but you want some evidence that it is the home of the Vikings. Just curious.
The interior renderings won't be released until later this summer. The unveiling at the Guthrie was only for the schematic design of the new stadium.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 18th, 2013, 9:11 am

Good point about the Hall of Fame. I wonder where they intend to put that?

My guess is that the inside will be adequately decorated for the Vikings, they just didn't include all of that in the initial drawings.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 18th, 2013, 9:35 am

I wish they'd use the Armory for their Hall of Fame.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 18th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Or.. have that be one of the things that surrounds the stadium. A 1-2 story ground level retail/bar/restaurant on at least one side (if not both) could house the HoF and official team store. This would be quite large if you compare to the Twins store (no HoF). Have the connected HoF/TS end at the plaza side of the stadium and sell/rent equipment for park-gating, making it super convenient to drop back off on the way in to the game.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 20th, 2013, 7:23 am

The hall of fame will definitely be in the building. Bagley confirms this in an interview from yesterday. And as with any museum, the gift shop should be adjacent. It's logical to locate them at the northwest corner where the majority of foot traffic is.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1026 ... gs-stadium