DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby 612transplant » May 18th, 2013, 2:24 pm

So, I've been thinking....the only really architecturally interesting part of the old Strib building is the facade. I'd be sad to see it go. It would be cool if they could save the facade, minus those big old windows, and use it as part of the stage for an ampitheater in the park, or put it on one end of an ice skating rink, or something....

I heard the idea tossed around when they discovered parts of the old Met down in the quarry of doing something like this in the planned park by the library-- that is, reconstructing some of that building as a type of memorial.

The Strib building is also an important part of our architectural history, if nothing else, because of the institution it housed. I also think that its architectural style would also really complement that of the armory, and it would make for a nice visual effect.

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » May 18th, 2013, 4:56 pm

^please

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 18th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Or incorporate it into one of the new buildings.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 18th, 2013, 7:41 pm

I thought this development hinges on getting the ramps and they are put up for bid. There is another bidder and some more could follow. There is another developer who owns some blocks in and around the area. What if he wins the bid? What happens to this plan. If someone knows what I am talking about they can elaborate but it does include a heliport for VIPS. This could all be very fluid.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » May 18th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Huh. How does that work with Ryan having a purchase agreement with the Strib?

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 19th, 2013, 2:07 am

...It would be cool if they could save the facade...
It's been talked about plenty. Actually a little surprised there hasn't been any public outcry, although I think many assumed it would be torn down. How about this, with say a future tower rising behind it built on the back of the Jail. :)

Park Bookend by Le Sueur, on Flickr

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 19th, 2013, 7:19 am

^^^LOL now wouldn't that throw off a bunch of old timers when they come downtown.

Does anyone know if the park has a name or is it up for naming rights for the highest bidder? If not let's call it STRIB Park.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » May 19th, 2013, 10:35 am

Rybak has been calling it The Yard or Armory Yard. It would be amazing to move the Strib or at least its facade. You'd think this city would've learned its lesson with the gateway and block e demos.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 19th, 2013, 10:36 am

The whole Ryan proposal depends upon winning the contract from the Minnesota Sports Authority Commission. The ramps essential for providing revenue. The development and park depend upon winning the bid. Proposals are due Monday May 20th. Ryan must win the bid to proceed with their plan. So far there are 2 proposals. Ryan and Minneapolis entrepreneur Basant Kharbanda. Other proposals could come. Kharbanda said his proposal calls for developing 4 parking projects on land he already owns around the stadium. This would accompany 2 projects he has planned on his land. One is on the corner of Washington and Chicago and would include retail, office, and a hotel. With so much at stake in Ryan getting the contract Minnesota Sports Facility Chairwoman Michele Kelm-Helgen insisted the proposal process is completely open and fair. This is all still pretty much up in the air. The full article is in the business section of the Star-tribune from May 17th.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 19th, 2013, 12:12 pm

What do you mean by an airport restriction?

A sign like this isn't any more distracting from an airplane than any other sign, unless you mean something else?

That is the type of sign I mean, but more like the Wells Fargo sign that is above the old Trade Center tower in St. Paul.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 19th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Why hasn't anyone see this Kharbanda's proposal? I take that it hasn't been finalized?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 19th, 2013, 4:03 pm

...It would be cool if they could save the facade...
It's been talked about plenty. Actually a little surprised there hasn't been any public outcry, although I think many assumed it would be torn down. How about this, with say a future tower rising behind it built on the back of the Jail. :)

Park Bookend by Le Sueur, on Flickr
I'd hope that any new tower not block City Hall's clock tower. Looks so cool from the park. Would the Nic on 5th or Mortonson's tower be visible from the park, or too far north?

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 19th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Ooops - meant 4Marq^

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » May 19th, 2013, 6:29 pm

I'd hope that any new tower not block City Hall's clock tower. Looks so cool from the park. Would the Nic on 5th or Mortonson's tower be visible from the park, or too far north?
4 marq will be. If you go back a page... there is a pic that LeSeur posted. I built a mock up of 4 marq... and you can view it in google earth... from the new park location. The top floors will be visible... in between the clock tower of city hall and the 5th street towers.

or... here...

btw... you can download the model yourself... and view it from anywhere in the city. All you need is google earth. The download link, for my model of the ryan project, is on the last page. Once you click that link, you will be able to view and download any model in my library... including 4marq (make sure you have 3D buildings checked on the left side of google earth to view all existing current buildings).

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Why hasn't anyone see this Kharbanda's proposal? I take that it hasn't been finalized?
I believe the reason nobody has heard of his proposal is because it will probably happen when Minneapolis builds the worlds tallest building. From what I know he has had that land for a long time and nothing has ever happened on it. He owns the 511 building just east of the stadium and is incredibly tight with his money. I'm sorry for being so skeptical, but he does not have a history of being a developer. He does, however, have a history of selling property to developers...

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 19th, 2013, 8:43 pm

I believe the reason nobody has heard of his proposal is because it will probably happen when Minneapolis builds the worlds tallest building. From what I know he has had that land for a long time and nothing has ever happened on it. He owns the 511 building just east of the stadium and is incredibly tight with his money. I'm sorry for being so skeptical, but he does not have a history of being a developer. He does, however, have a history of selling property to developers...
This is probably why we have not heard anything. They do have to go through all of the proper procedures and everything will work out in favor of the Ryan Project. I drove by there yesterday and up close the park is not really that big but will be an impressive green space.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 20th, 2013, 8:36 am

What is this Kharbanda project supposedly?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 20th, 2013, 8:44 am

What is this Kharbanda project supposedly?
Kharbanda said his proposal calls for developing 4 parking projects on land he already owns around the stadium. This would accompany 2 projects he has planned on his land. One is on the corner of Washington and Chicago and would include retail, office, and a hotel.
I don't believe there is any more information than that.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 20th, 2013, 8:49 am

Thanks I didn't see that earlier post. Blind on a monday...

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 20th, 2013, 9:32 am

Thanks for the info.