Linden Crossing - (4264 Upton Ave S)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
User avatar
woofner
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1329
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:04 am

Linden Crossing - (4264 Upton Ave S)

Postby woofner » July 15th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Mod note: See new thread for 2015 proposal: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3804


I'm surprised no one has mentioned the attempt by Mark Dwyer to reanimate the corpse of Linden Corner:

http://southwestminneapolis.patch.com/a ... f-10658252

The new version is actually called 4250 Upton and Dwyer hopes to build it despite the recently passed moratorium on projects with an FAR greater than 1.7 and/or requiring a CUP for height.

While I liked the first version better, the new one is good too, except for a couple awkward blank walls (northernmost part of the Upton face and westernmost part of the 43rd face). It's probably a good idea to keep the public space on the corner as the new design does rather than push it out to the boulevard.
"Who rescued whom!"

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 166
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 4:10 pm

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby dmdhashw » July 15th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Wouldn't it be amusing if this uglier version of Linden Corner gets approved? :lol:

User avatar
spectre000
Union Depot
Posts: 301
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 9:05 pm
Location: Downtown St. Paul

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby spectre000 » July 15th, 2012, 4:09 pm

How disingenuous of the developer to have originally proposed a five story building and tell the community repeatedly that it wouldn't be financially viable as a smaller building. Yet low and behold, here's a smaller proposal now.

Is it any wonder why real estate developers get such a bad reputation?

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 751
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:56 am

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby ECtransplant » July 15th, 2012, 4:27 pm

I feel a good amount of schadenfreude about the NIMBYs getting the mediocre development that they deserve :twisted:

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3920
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby seanrichardryan » July 15th, 2012, 4:37 pm

He should build a profitable gas station instead, perhaps with a hookah 'tobacco' shop attached.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3920
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby seanrichardryan » July 15th, 2012, 4:45 pm

I can't open the revised plan file on patch, can someone post it here?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

User avatar
Nick
Capella Tower
Posts: 2994
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Loring Park, Minneapolis

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby Nick » July 15th, 2012, 6:39 pm

spectre000 wrote:How disingenuous of the developer to have originally proposed a five story building and tell the community repeatedly that it wouldn't be financially viable as a smaller building. Yet low and behold, here's a smaller proposal now.

Is it any wonder why real estate developers get such a bad reputation?
According to one of the comments on there, getting rid of amenities like the neighborhood parking (like at Excelsior and Grand) seems to have dropped the price of the project a lot.

mulad
Moderator
Posts: 2791
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Location: Saint Paul
Contact:

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby mulad » July 15th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Does this have a smaller footprint than the old proposal? I'm trying to understand what the "Lots in Development" figure is in the infobox on that Patch article. It says Linden Corner was 5 while this one is 2.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3131
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 15th, 2012, 9:42 pm

spectre000 wrote:How disingenuous of the developer to have originally proposed a five story building and tell the community repeatedly that it wouldn't be financially viable as a smaller building. Yet low and behold, here's a smaller proposal now.

Is it any wonder why real estate developers get such a bad reputation?
I have to agree here (and I know the entire back story behind this development and the hypocrites that live in Linden Hills But I have to sympathize here a second with the developer: if he knows the NIMBYs will turn him down, wouldn't YOU start high and "settle" at where you wanted to be all along? Isn't that what bluffing is all about (if you play poker, bought a car, or negotiated anything in your life with somebody who doesn't know what the word "compromise" truly means)? I'm not sure if I'd lie like he did but I'd definitely aim high and settle like he did -- if I had to.

Online
MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5747
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby MNdible » July 16th, 2012, 9:08 am

mulad wrote:Does this have a smaller footprint than the old proposal? I'm trying to understand what the "Lots in Development" figure is in the infobox on that Patch article. It says Linden Corner was 5 while this one is 2.
I think you're right. If memory serves, the old development took the building and lots north of Famous Dave's, whereas the new version appears to be limited to the Famous Dave's lots.

That might also be part of the reason why this smaller version is viable -- lower land costs.

User avatar
woofner
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1329
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:04 am

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby woofner » July 16th, 2012, 11:05 am

Here is a screen grab of the scanned rendering on scribd (download was greyed out):
4250 Upton.JPG
Maybe Mark Dwyer's definition of viable was retail space that wouldn't sit vacant for 5 years (i.e. restaurant space).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Who rescued whom!"

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 685
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby nordeast homer » July 16th, 2012, 11:47 am

I didn't have a problem with the original proposal being that there's already some large buildings in the area, but I'm sure this will still be too large for some of the neighbors...
Looks like he tried to get a little more decorative with some of the design.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 130
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 7:44 pm

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby minntransplant » July 16th, 2012, 11:58 am

nordeast homer wrote:I didn't have a problem with the original proposal being that there's already some large buildings in the area, but I'm sure this will still be too large for some of the neighbors...
Looks like he tried to get a little more decorative with some of the design.
I agree. For many opponents, "fitting in with the neighborhood" = a single story building.

Chef
Landmark Center
Posts: 299
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 7:33 pm

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby Chef » July 16th, 2012, 12:12 pm

If you read some of the comments it is obvious that it has become personal for some of the opponents. They will probably oppose anything this developer proposes. What an ugly situation, glad I don't live in Linden Hills.

Online
MNdible
is great.
Posts: 5747
Joined: June 8th, 2012, 8:14 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby MNdible » July 17th, 2012, 11:15 am

If this fits within the underlying zoning, there won't be much the neighbors can do to prevent it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3131
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 17th, 2012, 12:12 pm

minntransplant wrote:
nordeast homer wrote:I didn't have a problem with the original proposal being that there's already some large buildings in the area, but I'm sure this will still be too large for some of the neighbors...
Looks like he tried to get a little more decorative with some of the design.
I agree. For many opponents, "fitting in with the neighborhood" = a single story building.
For many opponents, the only good development is no development......they like Linden Hills just the way it is. And so do I, but I'd like it even MORE if it were improved, and I think more people should be able to enjoy what we all seem to love so much.....right? People!

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2243
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby John » July 24th, 2012, 1:59 pm

It's a calmer building and less overwhelming in size. Its scale fits in better with the corner, yet, I did like the original proposal in many ways. It was very high quality. It would be nice to have something like the original proposal built in Uptown. A more appropriate scale for that neighborhood, and I think it would be welcomed in that community with open arms.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower
Posts: 3131
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 9:19 am

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 24th, 2012, 6:10 pm

John wrote:It's a calmer building and less overwhelming in size. Its scale fits in better with the corner, yet, I did like the original proposal in many ways. It was very high quality. It would be nice to have something like the original proposal built in Uptown. A more appropriate scale for that neighborhood, and I think it would be welcomed in that community with open arms.
Yeah.....like James & Lake, to be precise!

John
Capella Tower
Posts: 2243
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby John » July 24th, 2012, 8:02 pm

min-chi-cbus wrote:
John wrote:It's a calmer building and less overwhelming in size. Its scale fits in better with the corner, yet, I did like the original proposal in many ways. It was very high quality. It would be nice to have something like the original proposal built in Uptown. A more appropriate scale for that neighborhood, and I think it would be welcomed in that community with open arms.
Yeah.....like James & Lake, to be precise!
I actually wasn't thinking about that spot, but now that you mention it....... ;)

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3920
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Linden Corner II: The Revenge of Linden Corner

Postby seanrichardryan » July 24th, 2012, 8:52 pm

No.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.


Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests