222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
jet777
Nicollet Mall

Re: 222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Postby jet777 » June 9th, 2013, 2:11 pm

In my own personal opinion of course, fake anything is not as good as the original. The problem is that fake is almost always cheaper. A fake rolex breaks after a week, but it doesn't cost 10k. Sandwiched brick facades are great when they happen organically. Let them be what they are instead of faking them, and let new development be what it is. Don't try to recreate the past if you're going to do it cheaply, use currently available materials to make a good looking quality modern building that mixes well with old architecture. Berlin does an excellent job of this, and almost everything is less than 10 stories for all you height snobs. Not a lot of surface lots though! Some new developments in the area have followed this - I think that Brunsfield on 9th and Washington will be one.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » June 9th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I agree on that they shouldn't do it cheaply, but I still think it can be done if designed correctly if you are building luxury residential units. My only issue with this development (I actually don't mind it at all unlike people like nasa) is maybe they should have divided the building design up more because superblock developments seem really bulky to me. Maybe for future superblocks they could split the development into 2 different buildings with variations in designs so the block isn't as homogeneous. It doesn't has to be fake storefronts but a little variety in development design might improve the local urban environment. Just an idea though that popped up in my mind :).

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » June 9th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Is this growing on anyone else? It is looking better to me!
The more of the exterior I see added the more it grows on me.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » June 10th, 2013, 10:30 am

I see this building from my place, and I'm not particularly loving it, not from my angle I guess. However, I was walking up Hennepin yesterday and kind of liked how the two towers look from that direction, and place looks massive. I appreciate the attempts of different materials and having some of the units bump-out/recessed. But, to me it almost exacerbates the issues. Now it's bulky and busy.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 11th, 2013, 7:50 pm

I biked by this tonight ( I forgot my phone to take a pic) but the brickwork is begining on the north tower. I was pleasantly surprised at the really nice stripe pattern of orangeish and off-white tan brick. This small, but visually important detail of the tower is going to look amazing. At night when both crowns are lit up in this complex, they will be gorgeous. The architect's Humphey's and Partners did an excellent job with this attention to detail.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » June 15th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Biking west through the pedestrian walkway next to the ING building the other day this actually looked really good.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 15th, 2013, 7:45 pm

The Washington Ave side is turning out gorgeous. The row house and walk up apartment effect (with the tower at the corner) makes a strong visual statement that announces you are entering the North Loop district.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 15th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Um, I think gorgeous is quite an overstatement, but I think it is going to look fine! Not horrible as many have feared anyway.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 15th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Um, I think gorgeous is quite an overstatement, but I think it is going to look fine! Not horrible as many have feared anyway.
Alright, its looking good. But the towers will be gorgeous once the masonry is done! ;)

Jeff
Block E

Postby Jeff » June 15th, 2013, 10:58 pm

The Washington Ave side is turning out gorgeous. The row house and walk up apartment effect (with the tower at the corner) makes a strong visual statement that announces you are entering the North Loop district.
1000+ posts & never seen anything he doesn't like. I commend your optimism but let's get realistic here. Not everything is good. This building is terrible. Better than the vacant car dealership? What wouldn't be. The only saving grace is the Whole Foods, without it this would be a complete waste of one of the best lots in DT Mpls.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » June 16th, 2013, 6:19 am

^exactly. The whole foods is fantastic. The finishing of this monstrosity is proving to be bad- those are nice photos but come look at it in person. Cheap siding covers much of it. Mixing of black and brown flimsy paneling? There are at least 4 other different brick/stone facades I've counted so far as you circle it including rough stone, a smooth light block that looks like imitation limestone, yellow brick, and red brick. And the unit windows, vents, and balconies are popped into it like someone went nuts with a bedazzler. It reminds me of a huge cheap semi-suburban development, like an Excelsior and Grand.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 17th, 2013, 11:55 am

I think it's great and it will certainly be great for the area. Definitely better for the area than some 30 story high rise would have been.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » June 19th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Did they shut down the webcam on this project? Or is it just not working for me. http://222hennepin.com/

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Did they shut down the webcam on this project? Or is it just not working for me. http://222hennepin.com/
I'm having the same problem.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » June 19th, 2013, 7:33 pm

I think it's great and it will certainly be great for the area. Definitely better for the area than some 30 story high rise would have been.
That's a rather bold statement.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » June 20th, 2013, 8:53 am

Just read in the taste section today that they will be selling wine at this Whole Foods.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 20th, 2013, 9:00 am

I thought that was against MN law or whatever? Or are they selling the wine in a separated room, with steel walls and an armed guard?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 20th, 2013, 9:06 am

Ha!

Personal anecdote: I got trapped in a torrential downpour while walking around Chicago, so I dashed into a Whole Foods and drank a few beers while waiting for the storm to subside. They had several beers on tap, wine, TVs, etc. It was like a mini pub right inside the grocery store. You could actually order a drink and walk around the store with it while you shop. I have stockholm syndrome from MN's blue liquor laws, so I'm always really shocked at how open other states are to liquor purchase/consumption that isn't specifically in a liquor store or bar.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 20th, 2013, 9:30 am

The 7-11 outside my hotel in Chicago had a full selection of beer, wine, and hard liquor.

I don't know, if the blue laws ever become sane I'm sure we'll turn into a bunch of crotchety old farts about it.

Why in my day, we had to go to a separate store for beer and wine and liquor. And you couldn't buy any of it on Sundays. And we liked it that way!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » June 20th, 2013, 9:34 am

I think a wine shop would do rather well here. I think there's a wine shop on Washington by Edina Realty, and then the Bottle House in the commercial part of the Churchill, but that's about it for that area. I'd love to walk around the store with a pinot noir, but then I'd feel gauche shopping for chicken and fish. I'd have to switch to a sauvignon blanc at that point.