DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2013, 4:09 pm

That instagram account looks like a giant parking lot with some painted containers on it. Is there something I'm missing?
I think that that IS the point, that it doesn't take much to activate a few blocks of surface parking...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 9th, 2013, 8:28 pm

this has the aura of inevitability. even the wells fargo CEO spoke before the committee. 6 thousand wells employees in this project.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 9th, 2013, 8:34 pm

That's a pretty huge number...according to this year-old Biz Journalz slideshow, that would pull them ahead of Target.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » July 9th, 2013, 8:36 pm

About the Park/Portland street closures, here's my idea:

Why not run a pilot project and temporarily shut the street down for a few months effective immediately to see what happens? My guess would be that everything would be just fine. Local governments really need to get better at experimentation when it comes to alternative street uses. This is how Times Square became pedestrianized, with a temporary shut down. We should really be trying this all over the city, be it lane closures, on street patios, pocket parks, or entire street closures. It's hard for politicians to commit to a permanent and radical change in our street scape, but running it as a test project is simple, and I'd wager that more often than not, people will love it, and this will lead to more permanency in whatever is tested.

PhilmerPhil, I think your gonna go places in life. I like the idea too of trying it out, maybe I'll be persuaded into thinking the closures will be ok after all. Who wants to steal some big orange construction cones from the north loop and close a few roads tonight? How long do you think it would take the city to realize they're not supposed to be closed? A couple weeks perhaps?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 9th, 2013, 9:10 pm

the kstp coverage of this project is laughable.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 9th, 2013, 10:44 pm

About the Park/Portland street closures, here's my idea:

Why not run a pilot project and temporarily shut the street down for a few months effective immediately to see what happens? My guess would be that everything would be just fine. Local governments really need to get better at experimentation when it comes to alternative street uses. This is how Times Square became pedestrianized, with a temporary shut down. We should really be trying this all over the city, be it lane closures, on street patios, pocket parks, or entire street closures. It's hard for politicians to commit to a permanent and radical change in our street scape, but running it as a test project is simple, and I'd wager that more often than not, people will love it, and this will lead to more permanency in whatever is tested.

PhilmerPhil, I think your gonna go places in life. I like the idea too of trying it out, maybe I'll be persuaded into thinking the closures will be ok after all. Who wants to steal some big orange construction cones from the north loop and close a few roads tonight? How long do you think it would take the city to realize they're not supposed to be closed? A couple weeks perhaps?
Now THIS is the type of activism I've been hoping for!!

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » July 10th, 2013, 4:11 am

First City Council test passed today. Community Development Committee voted 4 to 1 in favor of the Ryan Co. concept. Goodman, Samuels, Lilligren and Quincy were in favor. Cam Gordon voted against it.
Strib report on the vote: http://www.startribune.com/business/214821381.html

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » July 10th, 2013, 3:46 pm

More details. Wells Fargo employs 12,000 in Minneapolis, many working in leased offices downtown. Those employees (about half of 'em I suppose) would be moving into the towers. And Wells says no final commitment until the council authorizes the bonds in November. Also, Ryan says it will likely exercise its right to buy and develop the 1/3 block of park space outlined in its plan. This would include additional retail space. The public park would then occupy about a block and a half.

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_2 ... ite-coming

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 10th, 2013, 3:48 pm

This PP article seems to have the most complete info so far, including a lot of interesting facts I haven't seen eslewhere: http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_2 ... ite-coming
[Wells Fargo] hopes to buy the top 12 floors of each of the two 20-story office towers
many of [Well's 12k Mpls employees] work in leased office space downtown. He said the company would move those employees into the towers.
[no] final commitment from Wells Fargo until November, when the council is expected to vote on whether to authorize the $65 million bond
$45 million of the money raised by the bond sale would be used to pay for part of a parking ramp .
Between $15 million and $16 million of the bond revenue would be used to buy the two blocks of park land
$4 million or $5 million would be used to develop the park.
Edit: I guess Rich beat me by 2 mins. Opps! :P

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 10th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Developing the western half block of the proposed park would really degrade how a future adaptive reuse of the Armory would interact with the park.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 10th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Developing the western half block of the proposed park would really degrade how a future adaptive reuse of the Armory would interact with the park.
If it's the western 1/3 of the block, which is what we've always been told, I think that will still allow a good interaction between the park and the armory. If it's 1/2 of the block, that starts to become problematic.

MPR interviewed Chuck Lutz (CPED) and Rick Collins (Ryan) this morning.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 10th, 2013, 5:41 pm

If I were Ryan Companies (or the City), I would have shown that additional building on the renderings, even if only in silhouette, from the very start. Because like right away people already act like something is being taken away from the public, when in reality the City doesn't even own the land yet. (not referring to people here, just a general observation from internet comments and CM Gordon's opposition)

Sidebar: I finally got around to emailing my councilperson today with my thoughts and concerns. Y'all should do the same. If that seems like too much work, well, it's kind of like what we do here on the forum, except with a point.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 11th, 2013, 7:32 am

this option on that park parcel was made public when this project was first announced. so as i said, some of our local media always looking for controversy misleads once again. and of course they stick a microphone in cam gordon's face to get his opinion.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 11th, 2013, 11:00 am

If it's the western 1/3 of the block, which is what we've always been told, I think that will still allow a good interaction between the park and the armory. If it's 1/2 of the block, that starts to become problematic.
It would be nice if it were a non-rectangular parcel that was angled to emphasize the Armory from the NE corner of the block, for example. That would not only break up the 90 degree monotony imposed by the street grid, but it would create potential for more interesting spaces within. But based on the RCA, it looks like they've already specified a rectangular parcel on the westerly third of the block. Oh well, I guess making real estate transactions easier is what street grids are for.

Btw the Strib story made it sound like Cam Gordon was opposed only to specifying the purchase price now instead of in 2016 or whatever, which is a rationale I can get behind. Is this not true? I haven't had time to look at any of the other media froth on this topic.
"Who rescued whom!"

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 11th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Btw the Strib story made it sound like Cam Gordon was opposed only to specifying the purchase price now instead of in 2016 or whatever, which is a rationale I can get behind. Is this not true? I haven't had time to look at any of the other media froth on this topic.
The PP article linked above has the same take.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 11th, 2013, 3:11 pm

I guess I just think of it as a typical real estate option -- the price is determined now, based on current market values. How much is Ryan paying for this real estate option? That answer would be impossible to disentangle from the rest of the financing on the project. But you could set up this real estate transaction any number of ways.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » July 11th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Fun fact: There was discussion about why Ryan didn't share their planned development with stadium planners before they finished/released the design. :| Anyway, I went back to the site plan yesterday, and look whose buildings are clearly outlined in the Vikings plans, before Ryan released their plan to the public. Maybe this is pointing out the obvious, but I didn't think anything of it the day of the Stadium announcement. :geek:

East West Plaza by Le Sueur, on Flickr

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 11th, 2013, 3:44 pm

They also show a bunch of buildings North of the stadium with what looks like a cool pedestrian bike corridor where the rail line used to be... how much speculation can we take from this? That would be exciting...

*Virtually every Hen Cty/City Building and Ramp has changed form in that site plan...

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 11th, 2013, 3:49 pm

They also show a bunch of buildings North of the stadium with what looks like a cool pedestrian bike corridor where the rail line used to be... how much speculation can we take from this? That would be exciting...
I'd noticed this as well, and thought it would be very cool. But after thinking about it, I'm not sure that those paths actually take people anywhere that they'd want to go.

I guess people using the Hiawatha trail could go more directly to the river, but that's about it.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 11th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Wouldn't they take you from the Hiawatha trail straight to Washington Ave's coming Cycle Track and North to the Guthrie, and River Front?