Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Re: Blue Line (Hiawatha)

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 6th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Do you know if the equipment was able to get to the Blue Line via rail, or if it had to be trucked in? Loram's located on the CP rail line next to MN-55 out in farmland in Medina (though they still call it Hamel). Oddly right next to that Hennepin County Public Works building...
The equipment was trucked in.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 22nd, 2013, 1:05 pm

I live near the 50th Street/Minnehaha Park Station. Over the weekend I noticed that the trains now make a new sound when in motion. I thought maybe I was just hearing the new trains, and just hadn't noticed it before. But while riding downtown (on an old set of trains) on Saturday night, it was quite apparent that they've changed something. It's like they've upgraded the motors or something. Does anybody know what?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 22nd, 2013, 1:13 pm

I live near the 50th Street/Minnehaha Park Station. Over the weekend I noticed that the trains now make a new sound when in motion. I thought maybe I was just hearing the new trains, and just hadn't noticed it before. But while riding downtown (on an old set of trains) on Saturday night, it was quite apparent that they've changed something. It's like they've upgraded the motors or something. Does anybody know what?
I think I noticed this too at DTE. Maybe it's related to the rail grinding?

To me the noise was more "rough," like the wheels going over the rail equivalent of rumble strips.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » July 22nd, 2013, 1:19 pm

It is not the motor making the noise, it is the rail. After the rail grinding this past week, the rails are making the noise when the wheels go over it. I was wondering if anyone would notice. I sure have noticed while operating. I think the noise will go away after a few weeks.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » July 22nd, 2013, 1:21 pm

The different sound is due to rail grinding referenced by LRVOpps on the prior page. From what I understand Metrotransit and their contractor removed a very small amount of rail material with the goal of reducing noise. I live by the VA Station and my observation is trains make almost zero rumbling notice and the constant track sound is slightly higher pitched. The higher pitch I'm noticing may have been drowned out by other, lounder train noise prior to rail grinding. The high pitch isn't bothersome, just differnt.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 22nd, 2013, 1:37 pm

I knew they had been grinding the rails, I just never thought that would result in the sound difference! I like the new noise. It sort of sounds like a small moped or a zip line when racing quickly. I did notice that the train rode 'smoother' than it did prior to the grinding. It'll be interesting to see how long that noise lasts.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » August 1st, 2013, 11:16 am

Still there. I wonder why they used so course a grinding wheel, or why it wasn't done in stages (course, med fine wheels)?

Seems 55 lights might be a little better. I do cheetah flips when there's 100 cars at idle and none using the cross streets.

Another question; why were Warehouse and Nicollet spaced so close? Station capacity?

pfreyre
City Center

Postby pfreyre » August 1st, 2013, 11:31 am

Another question; why were Warehouse and Nicollet spaced so close? Station capacity?
I've always assumed that its for two reasons:
1. Station capacity, just like you mention
2. Parking lot/ramp access: Between Nicollet and Hennepin on the north side (behind the Xcel building), there is a parking lot with access to 5th Street. On the south side there is a an alley, and a surface parking lot (NE corner of Hennepin & 5th Street). There is simply not enough ROW width in order to: 1.) Keep vehicle lanes on the north & south sides of the LRT tracks 2.) Maintain vehicle access to both the lot and ramp (on opposite sides of the tracks) 3.) Build the LRT station.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 1st, 2013, 11:46 am

As I noted in the other thread, I recollect that the Warehouse District station was a late add. When Nicollet was to be the last station on the line, they needed the longer block between Hennepin and Nicollet to allow for the crossovers at the end of the line. So therefore, the Nicollet Station needed to be east of Nicollet, which put it sort of a long haul from the Warehouse District and Target Center, so they scraped together the extra funds to add another station and it ended up pretty close to Nicollet.

So my faulty memory tells me.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 1st, 2013, 11:52 am

Agreed it's sort of a shame they did it that way. It would have been so much more natural to place the station between Hennepin and Nicollet. It was only a few years later when the tracks were extended anyways, so it would have been just fine if they put crossovers beyond the combined Nicollet/Hennepin station between Hennepin and what is now Target Field station.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 10th, 2013, 11:58 am

[Post rewritten since I didn't do my research properly...]

I see now that construction for the diverging diamond interchange at 34th Ave and I-494 has been going on since early July. The Blue Line is not operating between Terminal 2 (Humphrey) and the Mall of America this weekend because of it, with service being replaced by buses. Presumably route 54 is being impacted by this a bit too -- any others of note?

There is a project blog which may be worth watching here: http://ci.bloomington.mn.us/road_update ... update.htm

MSP Airport has some maps showing how traffic is expected to be detoured, but they made me very confused when I first looked at them: http://mspairport.com/34th-Ave-Construction.aspx

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » August 10th, 2013, 8:41 pm

The fact that American Blvd station and Bloomington Central station share the same LRT substitute bus stop makes me question once again why we had to build two separate stations within walking distance in Bloomington......
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » August 14th, 2013, 2:47 pm

To buy off Bloomington? Maybe that'll work for Southwest/St. Louis Park, give them an extra redundant LRT stop at Lilac Park/Hwy 100?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 14th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Adding stops seems an amazingly effective way of quelling opposition in our region.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 14th, 2013, 4:36 pm

To buy off Bloomington? Maybe that'll work for Southwest/St. Louis Park, give them an extra redundant LRT stop at Lilac Park/Hwy 100?
Um, you mean like Beltline and Wooddale?

Are you serious is saying that SLP residents will be fine tearing down homes and businesses if we give them anohter stop?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 14th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Adding stops seems an amazingly effective way of quelling opposition in our region.
Source?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 4:44 pm

You ever think about taking it down just a notch?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 14th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Maybe we buy off Minneapolis by putting a station at Cedar Lake and for good measure another at Lyndale?

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 30th, 2013, 12:40 pm

LRV 115 is featuring new paint job and destination sign.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 30th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Nice! I wonder how long it will take to replace all the destination signs.