IDS Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Konante
Nicollet Mall

Re: IDS Center

Postby Konante » July 23rd, 2012, 9:21 am

During the fireworks tonight, the lights on the top of the IDS Center were red, white and blue. Is that capability new? I'd never seen them anything but white before.
That's awesome. Does anyone have any pictures?

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » July 24th, 2012, 7:00 pm

During the fireworks tonight, the lights on the top of the IDS Center were red, white and blue. Is that capability new? I'd never seen them anything but white before.
Check out my short video I shot after the fireworks. The red, (cool, real) white and blue moves smoothly around the top. The blue may not show up as well, but it's there and you can see the reflection as it moves around on the edge of Capella Tower. The normal color is the warm white and almost goldish looking. You can also see the fireworks on Target Headquarters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kHkdkLjTU&feature=plcp

The lights were off since late February. I kind of thought they were being upgraded and found out from the property management not long after. I'm a bird lover and expert of sorts. The lights were off for the upgrade the whole time. The WCCO story was misleading in mentioning the bird lights out program and not the upgrade. The lights are off for the Audubon Light Out Bird migration from midnight-dawn which is now done year round rather than just in spring and fall to save energy, which I agree should be done.

dupko
Block E

Postby dupko » July 30th, 2012, 4:15 am

Check out my short video I shot after the fireworks. The red, (cool, real) white and blue moves smoothly around the top. The blue may not show up as well, but it's there and you can see the reflection as it moves around on the edge of Capella Tower. The normal color is the warm white and almost goldish looking. You can also see the fireworks on Target Headquarters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kHkdkLjTU&feature=plcp

The lights were off since late February. I kind of thought they were being upgraded and found out from the property management not long after. I'm a bird lover and expert of sorts. The lights were off for the upgrade the whole time. The WCCO story was misleading in mentioning the bird lights out program and not the upgrade. The lights are off for the Audubon Light Out Bird migration from midnight-dawn which is now done year round rather than just in spring and fall to save energy, which I agree should be done.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 7th, 2012, 6:08 pm

COOL!

everyone should look at the IDS center tonight I just noticed they have a really neat light show of purple and white lights! not sure if it's new or I just haven't noticed it yet!

...also I'm not one for the holiday spirit but it sure would look awesome in red and green during the holiday season!!! :mrgreen:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 7th, 2012, 6:30 pm

It was red , white and blue a couple days ago! I'm hoping for a red and green light show for the holidays too. The new lighting really reasserts the presence of the tower at night on the skyline. A lot of fun! 8-)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2012, 7:51 pm

It was red , white and blue a couple days ago! I'm hoping for a red and green light show for the holidays too. The new lighting really reasserts the presence of the tower at night on the skyline. A lot of fun! 8-)
I just noticed the new lights and colors on the IDS Center. I think that is very cool.

reeckman
Metrodome

Postby reeckman » October 7th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Yep it's purple on Vikings home game days

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 8th, 2012, 1:02 am

They have been running colors since the 4th of July at least. Its fun, but not terribly impactful.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 8th, 2012, 4:34 am

They have been running colors since the 4th of July at least. Its fun, but not terribly impactful.
It has more impact when you are actually in downtown. Looks awesome for my balcony , but I only live 5 blocks away.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 8th, 2012, 7:51 am

It has more impact when you are actually in downtown. Looks awesome for my balcony , but I only live 5 blocks away.
that and the best time to view I think is after sunset when the sky is still a dark blue instead of the night black. Also the Capella building looked really good too with the bright white/purpleish light. Now if only we could get the Wells Fargo building on board with some different colored lights! ...although I can't see that building from my apartment I still would be in favor of that idea!

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 8th, 2012, 11:13 am

There's been several nights so far of a colored scheme on the LED crown lights. It looks very nice and has a great impact on the downtown skyline. I film the skyline every single night just after sunset. They had orange, yellow and white for the first day of fall. I suggested them doing something for the first day of fall. Last night there was purple, white, blue and red. They had that another night in August for the Vikings game. The first colored display was for the Aquatennial Fireworks with red, white and blue wrapping around the crown. I'm sure we'll see some nice colors for Halloween and the Holidazzle Parades and the holiday season. There can be colors used for any day just to mix it up a bit. I'm very interested in this and really like the new lighting system. I have video from the Aquatennial fireworks night and the one from late August on my YouTube page. I still have to upload the one from the first night of Fall and last nights. Check it out!! https://www.youtube.com/user/canonhidef?feature=watch

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 9th, 2012, 11:20 am

There's been several nights so far of a colored scheme on the LED crown lights. It looks very nice and has a great impact on the downtown skyline. I film the skyline every single night just after sunset. They had orange, yellow and white for the first day of fall. I suggested them doing something for the first day of fall. Last night there was purple, white, blue and red. They had that another night in August for the Vikings game. The first colored display was for the Aquatennial Fireworks with red, white and blue wrapping around the crown. I'm sure we'll see some nice colors for Halloween and the Holidazzle Parades and the holiday season. There can be colors used for any day just to mix it up a bit. I'm very interested in this and really like the new lighting system. I have video from the Aquatennial fireworks night and the one from late August on my YouTube page. I still have to upload the one from the first night of Fall and last nights. Check it out!! https://www.youtube.com/user/canonhidef?feature=watch
very nice,

Although there is nothing like seeing it with your own eyes the camera doesn't do it justice. Also this holiday season I think is going to be a very exciting to see the holiday lights in the skyline! :lol: With IDS and Target's HQ's new light's too I think our skyline might be the 1st skyline to start to resemble a Christmas tree! (if you don't count Dallas tx)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2012, 12:21 pm

With IDS and Target's HQ's new light's too I think our skyline might be the 1st skyline to start to resemble a Christmas tree! (if you don't count Dallas tx)
Yeah, and then we can employ our seniors in knitting a giant tacky ass Christmas sweater for the Wells Fargo Tower!?! Keep in mind Christmas Tree isn't everybody's idea of what a timeless, metropolitan skyline looks like. I love the fun new creative lighting schemes, especially in Minneapolis where we have strict pro lighting features on new buildings because it is dark all the time in winter, but lets not cheese stuff up too much.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 9th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I guess I should stop stringing popcorn together for City Center, then?

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » October 9th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Yes, hopefully they avoid going to cheesy so we don't end up with something like used to be done to the Foshay Tower at Christmas time.
Last edited by Nordeastmpls on October 9th, 2012, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nordeastmpls
City Center

Postby Nordeastmpls » October 9th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Meant to post this with that reply

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2012, 2:46 pm

BAH HUMBUG!!! ;D

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Leamington is visible! And so is Plaza VII...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 9th, 2012, 3:10 pm

It's crazy even to see the historic Ivy tower without the hotel wrapped around it!

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » October 12th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Tonight the IDS had maroon and gold on the LED crown lights! Looks very nice! I really like all the colors to look forward to.

Here's a video of tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngFOx_WWfqE

I posted some of the videos from the first night of Autumn when they had orange, yellow and white on the crown lights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUsmTLE ... ature=plcp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0TMwmm ... ature=plcp