St. Paul Restaurant News

The Most Livable City in America™
bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Re: St. Paul Restaurant News

Postby bptenor » May 19th, 2013, 5:44 pm

The Buttered Tin will be opening soon on East 7th St in Lowertown. An article from the Pi Press: http://www.twincities.com/restaurants/c ... sweeten-up

They've also got a KickStarter page, if anyone is interested; nice video with the owners explaining their vision for the space.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the ... -a-reality

mulad

Postby mulad » May 20th, 2013, 6:41 am

I was all ready to praise Tacos Nachos and Beer for attempting to stick it out in the evenings in downtown Saint Paul, but people were complaining on twitter over the weekend that they were closed. Not sure what the deal was with that. Still, it looks like they're trying to be open from 7 am for breakfast until 9 pm at their location on West 7th Place.

mulad

Postby mulad » May 20th, 2013, 6:41 am

(on weekdays, that is)

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » July 28th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Some more good news for Payne Ave: the old Schwietz Saloon will reopen as a bar and eatery, potentially already in August.

http://lillienews.com/articles/2013/07/ ... fX3v42DxrM

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2013, 8:36 am

Is Payne Ave the new Hipster Northeast for the East Side?

Cyclotron
City Center

Postby Cyclotron » July 29th, 2013, 11:04 am

The parking lot where Chuck's Bar used to be located can be the East Side's answer to the 331 Club.
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

unk
Block E

Postby unk » July 31st, 2013, 7:19 pm

Apparently Cupcake is moving in to a new spot on the corner of Selby and Snelling. Maybe where Captain Cosmics Coffee was. This according to Lula's facebook page.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » August 1st, 2013, 5:59 am

Woohoo! We were wondering why two employees were at a land use meeting last month without saying anything. Suck it, Grand!

snowsquatch
Block E

Postby snowsquatch » August 1st, 2013, 3:29 pm

Walking by the Hotel Lowry at 4th & Wabasha this week, it looks like renovation on the ground-floor restaurant is in full swing. Anyone know the details yet? All the news I could find was old and vague. http://www.twincities.com/ci_22219238/l ... -attorneys

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 2nd, 2013, 2:21 pm

Groundswell Coffee opened in May of this year over on Thomas & Hamline (just 5 blocks east of Snelling) and is very worth a trip out to Midway. Like lots of other gems it seems like a trend in St Paul that they have to be tucked away on a corner in an otherwise totally residential area. I really like the feel of the place and they also serve dinner, beer, wine and are open til 11 weekdays and midnight on the weekend which is a contrast to other coffee shops that tend to close around 7ish, but that´s probably because the spot has the cafe aspect with food and alcohol. More later-night options like this would be great.

The contrast to University & Hamlin is jarring: a little tucked away commercial node is way more urban than an intersection on a major commercial street connecting two medium sized cities. If I was blindfolded and dropped of there I would have guessed I was in any one of the sprawling suburbs surrounding the cities, but I'd sadly be wrong (anyplace that has pics of what University along this stretch had before they bulldozed it for cheap stripmall development?).

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 2nd, 2013, 3:10 pm

^This was on the current site of the strip mall containing Herberger's:
http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largeri ... n=10708577

It was demolished in the early 1990's. The facade of the lower structure had been remodeled to hell by that point, but it still makes me a little sick. It was roughly the size of the Midtown Building in Minneapolis. It belonged to Ward's mail order business, much as the Midtown belonged to Sears. The lots slightly to the west were the Snelling Shops, where TCRT built all of their streetcars.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » August 2nd, 2013, 3:28 pm

Is Payne Ave the new Hipster Northeast for the East Side?
It sure isn't now, but one can only hope: bars with guaranteed good music and cheap beer are fine by me. It would give existing restaurants a reason to stay open later and get them more foot traffic. Who wouldn't want a couple tamales after some drinking?
Some more good news for Payne Ave: the old Schwietz Saloon will reopen as a bar and eatery, potentially already in August.

http://lillienews.com/articles/2013/07/ ... fX3v42DxrM
Ehh, definitely not finding anything about this place being re-opened: guessing Aug-Oct. From the article:
The part that’s perhaps been the most vexing has been the parking -- the lot attached to the building has only 13 spots, and even with another 13 spots from a Chinese restaurant next door, he falls short of the 50 spaces required by the city.

“The whole process was just difficult and slow,” Bertges said.
Boo!!!
Leslie McMurray, director of the District 5 Community Council, said the parking regulations are perhaps an unnecessary hindrance.

“We felt some of the current code requirements for parking are too restrictive for new businesses,” she said.

The District 5 Community Council is recommending the city allow him to be open from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. seven days a week.
Yay!!!

Seriously though, how is every a small business on dense stretches of this urban street supposed to accommodate 50 cars!? On this block of Payne alone are 7 retail spaces on the west side and 5 on the east side, so these businesses are each supposed to accommodate 650 parking spaces? :?: :?: :?: How are the ones up and running even operating if this is the case?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 6th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Cupcake to open in St. Paul after all, at Snelby: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... l-and.html

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 6th, 2013, 5:34 pm

I think that counts 6 bakeries on Selby between the Cathedral and Snelling. *Snelby:)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » August 10th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Letter of Intent on the Housing and Redevelopment page states that the retail space in the Lofts at Farmer's Market may be leased by Tim Niver and JD Frotzke (of The Strip Club).

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » August 12th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Letter of Intent on the Housing and Redevelopment page states that the retail space in the Lofts at Farmer's Market may be leased by Tim Niver and JD Frotzke (of The Strip Club).
http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/219327351.html

mulad

Postby mulad » August 17th, 2013, 9:17 am

The owners of Station 4 (across 4th Street from the Union Depot) have decided they want to remodel the venue into a combination bar & grill and brewpub. They've been closed since June due to mandated repairs/changes to their air conditioning system. They're still working on financing for the remodeling project.

http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_238 ... morph-into

mulad

Postby mulad » September 25th, 2013, 7:37 am

Looks like the sidewalk widening project in front of Park Square Court (housing the Bulldog, Barrio, etc.) is beginning. 6th Street is closed off by Mears Park. This guy is excited.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am

From the SkywayMusings Twitter account this morning, a photo of a couple of small rooms under the sidewalk of the Park Square Court building: https://twitter.com/SkywayMusings/statu ... to/1/large

Reminds me that I've seen a few old-ish buildings torn down lately that made use of underground space -- the old MGM liquor building at Lexington and Larpenteur in St. Paul (now a Walgreens that probably doesn't go underground), at least one of the buildings at the Opus Dinkytown development.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » October 17th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Does anyone know about Patrick's closing and being torn down? This is near Larpentuer and Hamline on the north border of St. Paul and Roseville. (Not Patrick McGovern's on 7th)

I never went there, but the parking lot seemed fairly busy. I wonder what is going to happen?