StoneBridge (2nd Street South & 11th Avenue South)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: StoneBridge (2nd Street South & 11th Avenue South)

Postby John » August 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am

Yes, this is ending up very attractive. The brick is warmer and a little less dull than what you see in the renderings. It contrasts well with the very modern matte black and glass materials being used for the majority of the facade. The darker brick at the base also looks great. The building's impact on improving the urban delineation and wall effect around Gold Medal Park is quite dramatic. I'm also hopeful the success of this project will spur another larger condo development to be proposed downtown over the next year.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 22nd, 2013, 12:27 pm

To be honest, this building doesn't really make a "wall" on Gold Medal Park at all. There are at least 50 feet (if not more) of Izzy's and various driveways between this and the park.

It looks like it is going to be a high quality building, and because of its location it randomly is quite visible from afar, but its presence on the actual park leaves a lot to be desired.

Whenever something fills in the vacant block across the street I think the feel will be much more urban as well.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 22nd, 2013, 12:46 pm

another site just asking for a tall building. marketing the views seems like a no-brainer, it was with grant park and the carlyle. so why such a stunted building. was it some protected, historic issue? makes me wish another developer had secured this site. sure the building is perfectly fine but couldn't he maximize his profit selling units with awesome views? looking at this building from the 35w bridge you want to see some more concrete going higher. meh

the new doran apt building going kitty corner across the bridge is another example.

who wouldn't want to live 20 stories in the air with those views? i have friends who live on the 17th floor in one of the former riverplace towers and every summer night it's a city canvas. our city looks fantastic from way up high. the view is that interesting. so much activity and city life beneath you.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » August 22nd, 2013, 1:46 pm

Whenever something fills in the vacant block across the street I think the feel will be much more urban as well.
Jim Stanton approached the owner of that lot last year and was essentially told to go pound sand. I doubt it is developed any time in the near future, but remain hopeful that the owner comes to his senses eventually.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 22nd, 2013, 1:59 pm

Well, as they say, money talks, and there is no such thing as "you can't put a value on [fill in the blank]", especially when dealing with another business.

To the other comments, I agree that this last lot (or 2nd to last lot, besides the 2nd portion of Fusion Lofts or whatever they're called) would nicely bookend the Gold Medal Park and have STUNNING views up the Mississippi and Stone Arch Bridge and towards Downtown. The location is also not too shabby. Either way, without looking at the numbers myself, it seems like a no-brainer for a high-rise not unlike the Carlyle.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 22nd, 2013, 2:06 pm

yes i just feel its a waste of a vista site, really. i'm happy to see the riverfront wall of development but a bookend building height to play off the carlyle would've been great. this is pretty much the last developable central riverfront lot affording this opportunity.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 22nd, 2013, 9:07 pm

To be honest, this building doesn't really make a "wall" on Gold Medal Park at all. There are at least 50 feet (if not more) of Izzy's and various driveways between this and the park.
Yes, in a rigid literal sense that is true. But I biked by the park this evening and the building sure had a "wall effect" feeling to me. To each his own.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 23rd, 2013, 7:45 am

The Mill district has a height restriction. Not sure how far east it goes. If that goes to the east edge of the park or a few blocks further east of 11th.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 23rd, 2013, 8:13 am

Stops at 10th. And the Carlyle is in that district as well.

I wonder if Zenith 2 could be a tall building? Doesn't seem Sherman's style. But if he holds it long enough and the market comes back enough it might make sense.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 23rd, 2013, 8:22 am

The Carlyle was never in a zoning restriction. It may have been on the edge or just inside that area. But is was zoned for highrise back when they built the other tower next to it in the 70's or 80's. This was why they were able to build it so high and why they were not able to stop it as easily.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 23rd, 2013, 8:26 am

Maybe true, but it's within the St Anthony Falls historic district, whereas Stonebridge is not.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 284813.pdf
But I'm no expect on how height restrictions apply within Historic Districts.
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 23rd, 2013, 8:42 am

I'm sure this is a thrilling discussion, but it does look like Stonebridge is in the Downtown Height Overlay District and would have been limited to six stories in the code. So they needed a conditional use permit anyways. I doubt Stanton ever wanted something taller than what he got.
Towns!

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » August 23rd, 2013, 3:38 pm

I was watching the state fair fireworks from the top of the hill in Gold Medal Park last night and it didn't feel like a wall to me. It just feels like a city...with actual buildings...maybe we're too used to surface lots all over the place.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 25th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Maybe true, but it's within the St Anthony Falls historic district, whereas Stonebridge is not.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 284813.pdf
But I'm no expect on how height restrictions apply within Historic Districts.

I remember when they brought up the height, the whole block back when the 70's tower was first built was zoned for a second high rise. This was before Riverwest, that brought the overlay district into being. But it was never rezoned, and someone did a paste and copy of the building and it looked so good that it was what made more councilmen vote for it than against it.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » September 11th, 2013, 12:38 pm

most windows on it looks like:

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 11th, 2013, 1:23 pm

It's looking good!

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » September 11th, 2013, 1:35 pm

I feel like these two buildings make the park look much more inviting and attractive.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Not to sound like a broken record, but this one in particular would have looked really great at 2-3 times the current height!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 11th, 2013, 10:10 pm

In person the scale looks about right. It gives the Mill City some diversity in height without sticking out awkwardly.

A slightly taller and slimmer building might be a good fit on the other side of Bridgewater.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 12th, 2013, 6:07 am

it would have been fine bookend to the carlyle. but no, it's another stunted lump. personally this project is a miss. developer has the opportunity to market hi-rise city views and opts to play it safe. maybe he should just stick to projects in the 'burbs.