Mozaic (all phases)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Mozaic

Postby Anondson » August 24th, 2013, 9:31 am

we're you thinking the old walker library?
John above had the right, the façade was to the old Gutherie when it was attached to the Walker.
Last edited by Anondson on August 25th, 2013, 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » August 24th, 2013, 9:33 am

I'm curious to see how it looks from Lagoon. Looks nice from the Greenway but it could look just like one big glass box from other angles.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 24th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Beautiful, iconic and perfect. This is gonna bump up Uptown big time and hopefully bring more growth along with it.
See? Told y'al back on page 7. :)

I'm super excited about this one!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 24th, 2013, 10:17 pm

I completely forgive Ackerberg for their architectural transgression in designing phase one if this gets built ;)

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 25th, 2013, 3:18 pm

I happen to like this building, it is European in style. This is not your normal shoe box with a flat plane of Cement board or all glass. I see the Lagoon side as a mix of glass and what ever they are using for panels for a mixture of glass and walls to help hold down solar gain and add visual texture to that side of the building.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 25th, 2013, 8:05 pm

As I understand it, this building won't have frontage on Lagoon, right? It will back up to the existing Bar Abilene building.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 26th, 2013, 10:32 am

As I understand it, this building won't have frontage on Lagoon, right? It will back up to the existing Bar Abilene building.
You are correct, but you will see the tower behind the Bar Abilene as it rises behind it. More like the Mosaic 2 will back up to the exit driveway from the underground parking. There will be a good 15 to 20 feet in between the 2 buildings.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » August 26th, 2013, 1:09 pm

I like the rendering and I trust Perkins + Will. But, as Jennifat pointed out on March 8, 2012 at SSC:

This is what Mozaic Phase 1 was originally going to look like:

This is what was built:

I guess I'll believe it when the grand opening ribbon is cut.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 26th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I've worked with Stu Ackerberg on a number of projects, I don't think Phase I turned out how he would typically operate. A lot came down to the economics of the situation, I think we can all be happy that we are in quite a better situation now, and he's got something to prove.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 26th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » August 26th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Even though phase one didn't turn out like it was drawn up, I still like the look. Like even though it is very square, what they did with the parking lot, and the glass part that juts out on the right all looks very nice. And its bigger than most other developments. So even even if phase 2 is "half" as great as it looks, it will be just fine.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 26th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Yes, it can be a self serving propaganda tool on both sides. A great example here was the the neighborhood(CLPC) opposition to the Loring Vue apartments. At a neighborhood meeting, they showed a rendering of the project (as seen in Loring Park facing north) that grossly exaggerated the scale of the building in relationship to its neighbors. I wish I had kept the photo. It was hilarious.

As far as Mozaic 2, I think Fotoapparatic is spot on with his comments as stated above. From my perspective, I really see no hidden agenda here other than a sincere effort to make a striking, beautifully designed building. This is a chance to build something exceptional and iconic for Uptown. Let's cheer Ackerberg on!

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » August 26th, 2013, 8:41 pm

I mean it's essentially an argument between people who like creative modern architecture, and those who don't. it'll be had forever. it does however have the elements of a successful urban building. an active street scape, transparent, and good "frontage".
+ 1

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 27th, 2013, 6:24 am

i love modern arch and i like what i'm seeing in this rendering. like others have said it's subjective. i have a friend who, everytime he passes walker art makes some snarky comment about it's design and modern in general.

i think this rendering is showing a buildng that has very uptown/mpls character to it. good on the developer for moving on from the shortcomings of phase 1. but phase 1 has proven to be a successful project and provided uptown with something it sorely needed...modern, quality office space.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » August 27th, 2013, 10:48 am

Also they did very well in designing the courtyard/alley where the bar sits. Very nice sculptures and well designed for cars and pedestrians.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 27th, 2013, 11:10 am

Mosaic Has done a great job of adding life to Uptown. It was a successful project even if a big turd, I totally enjoy being there in the evening at Origami, people watching. This new phase and the addition of SO much at the Walkway may steal (hopefully just synergize really well with) Hennipen [sic] Ave. Girard is just going to be a great street, after being such a nothing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 27th, 2013, 11:24 am

Mosaic 1 was the test ground to see if office would fly here in Uptown. It not only flew, but it soared with a very quick lease up. This shows that office can thrive in Uptown and will create a daytime crowd of people to supplement the night time crowd. This is good for both restaurants and retail stores. I agree that Girad will soon be a bustling street scape with minimal auto traffic.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 27th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Also, If I were Akerberg and Phase II was good and done, I'd be dying to do something with my 1438 Lake Street Parcel... If I were me, I'd be dying for him to do something with it... right now... lol

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 27th, 2013, 7:36 pm

More images of Mozaic 2 from MSP Business Journal. Ackerberg in talks with possible lead tenants.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ffice.html

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 28th, 2013, 10:08 am

Very excited by what I see here! Will help to improve Uptown 100%.