New development bike parking

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

New development bike parking

Postby mattaudio » August 28th, 2013, 6:00 pm

It seems like many new mixed-use buildings with underground parking have their bike parking underground as well. I'm assuming this is mandated parking, or a trade-off for car parking spaces. The architects seem to squeeze these in any corner or service area where they cannot fit cars. But who would really want to bike down a parking ramp and store their bike there? Any thoughts on this? Anyone live in one of these newer facilities with such a storage area? Is it used?

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Re: New development bike parking

Postby mplser » August 28th, 2013, 7:17 pm

i used to work at a place that had underground parking with a bike rack down there. I used it all the time! just my personal experience with such spaces i guess...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 28th, 2013, 7:27 pm

Random thought - we need to get some of the folks living in these new developments to post on urbanMSP. We sure spend a crap-ton of time talking about these various apartment buildings...it would be nice to hear from someone who actually lives in one!

mulad

Postby mulad » August 28th, 2013, 9:03 pm

I can't speak to new buildings, but my place from 1969 has some bike parking in the garage. The racks are fairly old in style, only intended for you to lock up the front wheel. I have a recumbent which doesn't fit anywhere except the ends (which are always occupied), so I just keep it in my apartment -- and that means I don't use it nearly as often as I should, since it's such a production to get it out again (have to go through my apartment door, down the elevator, down 3 stairs [elevator!=handicapped_accessible], out one door to the garage, and out another door to the outside world).

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » August 29th, 2013, 10:50 am

Honestly it would be nice, kept out of the elements and not a target for thieves. So even if it was squeezed in somewhere, its better than lugging it up stairs or risking it on the street.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2013, 11:52 am

To the original question, I've often thought the same thing -- that bike parking in an underground garage just doesn't seem very convenient. I think I'd prefer my parking to be outdoors, next to the front door, but I suppose this exposes the bikes to shenanigans and potential theft. Also, in many cases the sites are fully built-out, not leaving any ground floor outdoor space.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 29th, 2013, 12:13 pm

If you have even a moderately nice bike though, you'd definitely want indoor storage vs. outdoors, exposed to the elements (as well as theft, bird shit, etc.)

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 29th, 2013, 12:51 pm

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I like the convenience of some of those layouts, but it's kind of deadly in terms of architecture and active street facades.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 29th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Here is the storage situation at 222, which seems pretty typical for new construction now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/financeand ... otostream/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 30th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I would agree with Matt's original thought...my building has bike racks in the ramp behind the building, and for some reason the extra two minutes it takes me to walk back and get it seems like a huge mental obstacle. I would probably bike to work instead of busing if I didn't feel like it'd take an extra two minutes to fish my bike out.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 30th, 2013, 3:29 pm

From personal experience, it's really not that bad parking your bike outside. I have been parking my current bike outside of my apartment in Stevens Square for the past 3+ years now and have had my rear wheel stolen once and just my chain stolen another time (wtf?). Also, people put garbage in my basket occasionally. I keep it in a garage during the winter and switch to a beater bike during those months. My bike has gotten a little weathered over the years, but not to the point of concern or regret. Overall it's been super convenient to have my bike right out the door, and I think peoples' concerns might be slightly exaggerated if your bike is worth less than $500.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 31st, 2013, 2:05 pm

I've been biking to work for a zillion years, and its really nice to have easy "in and out" access from where you live. PhilmerPhil's strategy is the most convenient from my personal experience as well. Right now I have a bike rack by my condo's storage locker in an underground parking garage that goes out to Lasalle Ave. It does take a few minutes to get down from my apartment to the bike. When I moved in it definitely took awhile to adjust to the slightly longer time to access my bike, but now its all habit and routine so it doesn't bother me.