Saint Paul Union Depot

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Re: Saint Paul Union Depot

Postby bptenor » July 1st, 2013, 4:56 pm

I believe the route 94 bus will actually start/terminate at SPUD in 2014 once the Green Line starts running, along with other bus service changes. I do agree that other routes could/should be routed to/from SPUD as well, but that would definitely require a pretty extreme reworking of the downtown bus circulation.

bptenor
Nicollet Mall

Postby bptenor » July 1st, 2013, 4:58 pm

I should cite my sources I suppose: http://metrotransit.org/Data/Sites/1/me ... ations.pdf

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 1st, 2013, 7:52 pm

I thinly you mean the 3C alignment :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 21st, 2013, 2:01 pm

This is the first evidence I've seen of any work being done to connect the SPUD tracks to the mainline -- some dirt has been cleared from the right-of-way outside the depot property. I'm not sure when it happened, but my photo was taken Friday evening.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 24th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Yep, definitely something going on...

Going under the Robert Street bridge...

This was really a shot of the West Side Flats development, but has track work in the foreground...

And they're using triangular tracked wheels on the earth-moving equipment...

mulad

Postby mulad » August 1st, 2013, 6:15 am

At the start of Rondo Days earlier this month, the BNSF Foundation donated $10,000 toward creation of an exhibit about Red Caps at the Union Depot.

https://www.friendsofbnsf.com/content/b ... ap-exhibit

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 14th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Is there a date set for when trains will start using this?

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » August 27th, 2013, 8:38 am

No set date yet. When I was on the WB Empire Builder, several passengers definitely took note of the Union Depot and wondered why we weren't stopping there. The sooner they get this link going, the better.

I have a new job prospect with a company in Eagan. In looking up schedules on the Metro Transit site, I would actually be using Union Depot on a daily basis which has me rather inexplicably excited, even though I would be spending more time on my daily commute than I do now.

orangevening
Nicollet Mall

Postby orangevening » August 27th, 2013, 10:46 am

Totally off topic, but can we SPUD t-shirts? I just love the acronym. Maybe with the depot superimposed over a potato or something like that. In Seattle we had S.L.U.T. (South Lake Union Trolley) t-shirts, SPUD thou is more family friendly

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » August 27th, 2013, 11:26 am

SPUD thou is more family friendly
I think you mean 'SPUD, thou art more family friendly'.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 29th, 2013, 12:51 pm

An event called "Station to Station" is scheduled to happen at the depot on Thursday, September 12th (two weeks from today). There was a fancy article on Wired's website on the subject, mostly focusing on the lead artist of the whole "art happening". It involves big digital display panels being mounted on the sides of train cars. I'm not totally sure how this is going to work out since trains still can't access the platform. The article shows the planned train consist, which includes a number of cars from the local Milwaukee 261 group (including the Cedar Rapids Skytop Lounge).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/aitken-s ... o-station/

Here's the page on the project's main website about the St. Paul stop:

http://stationtostation.com/location/minneapolis/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 29th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Poor St. Paul. The web address for the SPUD stop says "Minneapolis". Just can't win.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 3rd, 2013, 5:08 pm

At least one new switch has arrived. This was sitting at Robert Street this evening.

West side switch for SPUD by Mulad, on Flickr

mulad

Postby mulad » September 13th, 2013, 8:44 am

My apologies that both of these are hard to see, but another switch has arrived by Robert Street, and there are workers lining up new sleepers/ties to the Union Depot. Also, Ken Avidor posted a sketch yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Avidor/status/37825 ... to/1/large

The railroad ties are being butted right up against the wall at the moment:
Union_Depot-2013-09-13-railroad_ties by Mulad, on Flickr

2nd switch, visible just under the arch:
Union_Depot-2013-09-13-2nd_Robert_Street_switch by Mulad, on Flickr

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 14th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I spent quite a bit of time in Union Depot recently. I was wondering what the area will be between the bus concourse and the heavy rail concourse... there's an area with a concrete platform and track area filled with ballast rock, but no tracks.

Also, glad to see Treasure Island bus users are enjoying their new terminal. :p

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 14th, 2013, 7:03 pm

I spent quite a bit of time in Union Depot recently. I was wondering what the area will be between the bus concourse and the heavy rail concourse... there's an area with a concrete platform and track area filled with ballast rock, but no tracks.
That area has been reserved for a future light rail platform, should they ever decide to route light rail trains to the back. Since no current plans call for its usage, it is likely to remain a historic stair to nowhere for a while. There is also space set aside for another heavy rail platform.
My flickr photos.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 25th, 2013, 6:05 am

Word on the street is that Amtrak will be bringing their Exhibit Train to the Union Depot on December 7th. Their website currently shows the event happening at Midway, though.

My brother and I visited the depot yesterday and saw a few workers out examining the existing signals. There are parts for at least one new signal bridge sitting on the depot property, so presumably some or all of the existing signals will be taken out and replaced with other stuff.

Just downriver, there was a big mess this weekend when a piece of pre-assembled track that was being transported banged into some signals, causing an old-style signal bridge to get dragged for some distance and bash into the Warner Road bridge over the tracks. The old signals were in the process of being replaced there too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottergoose/9881439146/
http://www.twincities.com/stpaul/ci_241 ... rain-below

Also, the busway at the depot was showing cracks and is in the process of being repaired under warranty by the contractor. I'm not sure the result will be that great, though -- the patch job may end up looking worse than the cracks did. I'll try to post a photo in a bit.

http://finance-commerce.com/2013/09/cra ... -platform/

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » October 2nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

There's work going on by 52 and near the wye complete with 4 car ballast train, and saw a new signal bungalow by the end of the platform.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 5th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Finally brought my DSLR to work on Friday so I could get some shots in the evening. I'm planning to take another pass by this afternoon. They were in the process of replacing the Robert Street switch that lets trains cross the river here.

img_7009 by Mulad, on Flickr

img_7013 by Mulad, on Flickr

img_7015 by Mulad, on Flickr

mulad

Postby mulad » October 5th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Well, it only looked like they were finishing off the work for this one switch when I went by today -- they were getting the ties properly placed on/in the ballast, and a Union Pacific train was waiting in the wings ready to cross the bridge as soon as they finished [Edit: Actually, that may have been the ballast train commissioner was referring to]. I'm guessing it'll be a couple more weekends of work before the depot tracks finally get hooked up.
Last edited by mulad on October 6th, 2013, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.