ADM to Relocate Global Headquarters - MPLS in the Mix

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Unity77
Landmark Center

ADM to Relocate Global Headquarters - MPLS in the Mix

Postby Unity77 » September 24th, 2013, 12:47 pm

The company has announced that it plans to move about 100 top executives and add another 100 jobs at a technology center the firm will develop in conjunction with its new headquarters. There is plenty of room in either downtown Minneapolis or downtown St. Paul for 200 ADM employees. This would be a huge win for the Twin Cities area.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... /130929949

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: ADM to Relocate Global Headquarters - MPLS in the Mix

Postby Nathan » September 24th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Especially since it seems that more would follow... I hope that they're on top of it!

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » September 24th, 2013, 3:09 pm

They were founded in Minneapolis, weren't they? It would be nice to see us recover for past losses of a few F500 companies in the past decade (Northwest, Honeywell, etc.). But since they want this to be a global center for operations, I think they will go with Chicago though. We are a agribusiness center (especially with Cargill), but Chicago does have better global connectivity.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 25th, 2013, 9:24 am

I think Minneapolis is competitive enough with Chicago that we could win this, were global connectivity the only factor. We're much more globally connected than St. Louis, which was the other city in the mix.

But, the article makes clear that they're in good with Rahm, and the relative adjacency of Decatur, where they'll still maintain the bulk of their operations, tells me that this isn't really a competition that Minneapolis has much of a chance in.

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » September 25th, 2013, 9:34 am

How do you evaluate global connectivity?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 25th, 2013, 9:39 am

Well, in this case, mostly by airline flights.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » September 25th, 2013, 11:18 am

We are a agribusiness center (especially with Cargill), but Chicago does have better global connectivity.
That we are. Minneapolis-based companies are market leaders in beef and pork packing, turkeys, animal feed, terminal grain handling, corn and soybean exports, flour milling, soybean crushing, ethanol production, dairy processors, and food retailing. Having Cargill, General Mills, Land O'Lakes, CHS, Mosaic, Target, Supervalu, Nash Finch, the University of Minnesota (St. Paul), and Delta (major hub) within the same market is a definite plus for ADM to locate within the Minneapolis area. Furthermore, if they (ADM) want to attract worldwide talent (ag and food industry talent), then Minneapolis is the spot.
Last edited by Unity77 on September 25th, 2013, 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » September 26th, 2013, 3:13 pm

MSP is a decent airport for international flights, but the fact is O'Hare has nonstops to most major world cities (at least in Europe and Eastern Asia) which is what ADM probably wants for their execs for overseas business meetings. Tokyo and Amsterdam do allow MSP to have fairly short stopovers to other destinations via Delta, but why bother if you can just fly nonstop to Seoul, Shanghai, Bejiing, Osaka, or Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Zurich, etc. straight from Chicago?

If this was just for their North American operations, we would be golden since MSP serves many mid-size and large cities across the US and Canada, though our Mexican flights here are basically solely tourist-based destinations.

unk
Block E

Postby unk » September 26th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Yeah, but getting to msp is much easier than ohare and terminal 1 is way nicer. Besides minnesota has better schools, better business climate(8th!), more IT workers, cheaper rents and scores much higher in livability. Its not a foregone conclusion.

Maybe we can convince delta to add a shanghai direct. The narita one is successful.

I'm still hopeful.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 26th, 2013, 4:33 pm

It's obviously a long shot, but I would agree that in some sense it is more connected by virtue of O'Hare being terrible, but my experience is colored by last week.

And I'd be surprised if we didn't get a direct flight to Shanghai in the next ten years. Given the way both Metros are moving, we probably deserve it more than Detroit.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 26th, 2013, 5:55 pm

I don't know how many flights there are to Asia from MSP or Chicago, but Detroit is Delta's Asia hub, so a lot of trips are going to go through Detroit either way. What's the major midwest hub for Europe, is it ORD?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 26th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Chicago O'hare is pretty much the only hub in the midwest. Detroit probably has a lot of the same destinations as Minneapolis (being a Delta hub and all), and United's hub in Cleveland is quite small (mainly regional jets, no international flights).

unk
Block E

Postby unk » September 26th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Dtw serves as its international asian hub in the northern u.s. with jfk in the east. Still dtw now is primarily connecting pax so they could move some flights here without much impact. We arent losing out to europe because a connection in amsterdam is no worse than connecting in zurich(adms euro hq is in geneva which doesnt have direct flights from ohare). But asia kills us. Plus delta sucks to south america which is dominated by oneworld. Not sure how much of an issue that is but we lose there. Basically imo chicago wins based on ohare and proximity to decatur. Ex both those items though I think we'd win. Thats a homer pick of course, but I've got to think that when the execs are thinking of relocating they care more than just about the airport. Besides they were here for most of their existence. And the twin cities are alot different now than when they left.

Here's to hoping. I wonder if Dayton is going to even present them with a juicy offer.

As an aside I havent heard much from delta regarding msp2020 recently. Are they still planning this? Or did this die with Northwest?

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » September 26th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Yeah the Asian market we need to expand on a bit, at least a couple more nonstops because the more articles I read about ADM's HQ move they talk about the difficulties flying from Decatur to places like Shanghai. It seems their main focus is to be in a place where it's easy to fly to major cities around the world. I went on ADM's websites to look at international offices and it seems like O'Hare has nonstops to many of the cities where offices and plants are located, other than ADM Europe (but a nonstop Geneva flight is more viable in the Chicago market).

Even if they move here, I assume it's probably going be somewhere in the western suburbs like many of the agribusinesses in the area. It would be nice to see them in downtown, but my gut feeling is thinking sprawling suburban campus (but maybe could at least be on the Green Line extension). At least if they are based in DT Mpls or along 494, they are much closer to the airport than they would be versus the Chicago Loop to O'Hare.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 27th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Maybe someone should quick send them this!!! ;)

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45efejk/8-minnesota/

Edit* Illinois isn't in the top 25... ;D

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 28th, 2013, 1:58 pm

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » October 4th, 2013, 10:57 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -move.html

Chaos in Illinois, whats new? Could be our chance!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 4th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Here's the TC Business Journal article on why they SHOULD move home to MN

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... -home.html

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » October 5th, 2013, 10:22 am

Decatur, Ill.-based ADM is considering moving its headquarters to Chicago, Minnesota or St. Louis.
Branding...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » October 7th, 2013, 5:15 pm

MSP Business Mag said on twitter that they got word that ADM officials were in town today to meet with Greater MSP and scope out our town.

Could be a legit search, or maybe they are just trying to look like they are serious about moving in order to secure tax breaks from Illinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free