Bruce Vento Trail Bridge

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Bruce Vento Trail Bridge

Postby mulad » August 3rd, 2012, 8:59 am

Here's a thread for the Bruce Vento Trail bridge over the railroad tracks and Warner Road east of downtown Saint Paul. I'm not entirely sold on the utility of the bridge since it connects two unpopulated areas, but it'd make for a nice railfanning platform. The architect is Rosales + Partners, who seem to have a pretty decent portfolio. Their page says the budget is $7.7 million. I suspect this had been held up a bit because of the East Metro Rail Capacity Study -- the potential rail flyover from the Saint Paul Union Depot affects where this bridge can be located, but that study is wrapping up now.
p_vento-04_crop.jpg
p_vento-08_crop.jpg
p_vento-09.jpg

MplsTodd
Block E

Re: Bruce Vento Trail Bridge

Postby MplsTodd » August 3rd, 2012, 1:12 pm

Reminds me of the Martin Sabo Bridge in Minneapolis. A design that I like, but I hope the contractors and/or engineers get it right this time!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 3rd, 2012, 1:19 pm

Reminds me of the Martin Sabo Bridge in Minneapolis. A design that I like, but I hope the contractors and/or engineers get it right this time!
I think they will. If you look closely, this bridge actually appears to be a suspension bridge, rather than a cable-stayed bridge like Sabo is.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 3rd, 2012, 3:52 pm

I don't get anything about this project, personally. Wrong place, odd and becoming cliche design....not my favorite use of money, but as long as it's not my money.....

I like creativity and "spunk", but when people copy other people's creative work it comes off SO TACKY IMO! Come up with your own ideas!!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 3rd, 2012, 4:37 pm

That's probably how William Howe felt by 1860.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 3rd, 2012, 5:36 pm

I actually think it's a pretty good place for a bridge, if I have the right idea of where it'll go. It saves a good two miles for people connecting between the Bruce Vento trail and the Sam Morgan trail, both popular trails (although I admit I didn't know the latter was called that).

Right now there isn't really a good way for people to get from the East Side to West 7th, so this begins to address this (probably a cycle track on Kellogg would be better, but cars need their parking). It's also a way for people to get from the Gateway Trail to West 7th, since the connections north of the Capitol involve a labyrinthine route through freeway-like streets.
"Who rescued whom!"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 4th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I don't get anything about this project, personally. Wrong place, odd and becoming cliche design....not my favorite use of money, but as long as it's not my money.....

I like creativity and "spunk", but when people copy other people's creative work it comes off SO TACKY IMO! Come up with your own ideas!!
Main reason this bridge is so far to the east is to not infringe in the St. Paul airports flight approach, Same reason Layfette Bridge was desing the way it was to there would be no towers in the flight path.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » February 8th, 2014, 2:08 am

I apologize for reserructing an old topic, but are there any new updates on this? I haven't seen anything about it on either St Paul's or ramsey county's websites. Thanks in advance!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 8th, 2014, 7:51 am

Indeed, does St. Paul finally have their "me-too" bridge?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 8th, 2014, 11:19 am

good infrastructure is good infrastructure... double the pleasure, double the fun...