Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
UptownSport
Target Field

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby UptownSport » September 12th, 2013, 5:08 pm

MTC website says 96% complete

mulad

Postby mulad » September 15th, 2013, 6:57 am

A Bombardier LRV made a surprise appearance during yesterday's farmer's market in downtown St. Paul. Chistina Morrison made a blog post about it: http://lettherebelightrail.blogspot.com ... watch.html

Video:

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » September 15th, 2013, 11:33 am

Wicked!
Still keeping those doors open!!!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 15th, 2013, 1:19 pm

There's an all-way stop at 4th and Wacouta (eastern side of Union Depot station) -- is that going to stay? Can they have stop signs controlling LRT/traffic mix?

mulad

Postby mulad » September 15th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I've been curious about that stop and the one at 4th & Wall. But of course the stretch of track between Union Depot and the OMF will only be used as trains enter/leave service for the day (or part of the day).

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » September 15th, 2013, 8:21 pm

I'd think that cars, after stopping, would simply know they are to yield to a train. But, you never know...

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 15th, 2013, 9:34 pm

There's an all-way stop at 4th and Wacouta (eastern side of Union Depot station) -- is that going to stay? Can they have stop signs controlling LRT/traffic mix?
The four way stop will remain. Yes, the trains will have to stop for the stop sign. Also, trains will be restricted to no bell or horn use unless it is for a emergency between Union Staion and OMF. It is part of the agreement of having the OMF in the Lowertown area.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 16th, 2013, 9:55 am

Did anyone go to the Open Streets event yesterday?

I also saw a new article that there would be 15 Metro Transit police constantly riding the Green Line. I wonder if they will actually be on BOTH lines?

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 16th, 2013, 10:10 am

15 police constantly riding? Seems unlikely. Maybe 15 full time officer positions added with the Green Line opening but not 15 officers on duty 20 hours a day. That would be close to 60 full time officers just for the Green Line. At $80,000 a year in salary and benefits per officer, the cost would be $4,800,000.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 16th, 2013, 2:16 pm

yeah, I guess I read that a little too quickly. Here is the article:

http://www.monitorsaintpaul.com/metro-t ... y-to-ride/

"When the light rail line on University Ave. opens next year, there will be 15 Metro Transit Police Officers patrolling it."

mulad

Postby mulad » September 19th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I do see Metro Transit police surprisingly often these days, both along University Avenue and in downtown St. Paul. They tend to camp out at the stop at 5th Street and Minnesota Street, on the same block as the "Central" stop.

Anyway, catenary wire has started to be pulled in downtown St. Paul. There's a gap of at least a few blocks between the wire along University Avenue and what's currently in downtown -- So far, I've only seen wire on Cedar Street and 12th Street (north side of I-94 along the Capitol office building complex). As of this morning, the catenary arms were only attached to poles as far as the corner of 4th and Minnesota (east end of the Central station).

Tout video from a PiPress reporter: http://www.tout.com/m/l6j65f?ref=tw9j8nvi

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » September 26th, 2013, 9:40 am

Now its back to 94% :-(

Why? Official announced the higher number just before website reflected it.
MTC website says 96% complete

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 26th, 2013, 9:51 am

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » September 26th, 2013, 10:20 am

Perhaps they accidentally, and momentarily, uploaded an old version of the website from their change management system while updating it.
EDIT: it's showing 94% for me too. I haven't loaded the page in a while.

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about the percentage - it's a made-up number and whatever it says is unlikely to have any effect on how much time is left before trains run.

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » September 28th, 2013, 3:13 am

Anyway, catenary wire has started to be pulled in downtown St. Paul. There's a gap of at least a few blocks between the wire along University Avenue and what's currently in downtown -- So far, I've only seen wire on Cedar Street and 12th Street (north side of I-94 along the Capitol office building complex). As of this morning, the catenary arms were only attached to poles as far as the corner of 4th and Minnesota (east end of the Central station).
Overhead wire is now up on 4th Street in the vicinity of Wacouta and Wall Streets.

mulad

Postby mulad » September 28th, 2013, 9:16 am

Some or all of the system in downtown St. Paul is being set up as the single-wire stuff seen in low-speed sections like in downtown Minneapolis and parts of the UMN campus, in contrast to most of the line which has a top catenary wire suspending the contact wire the trains actually draw power from.

My brother and I also noticed this week that there's only a single overhead wire along the Washington Avenue Bridge even though it's supposed to be a relatively fast section of track -- it looks like the supporting arms are spaced close together to compensate.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » September 28th, 2013, 11:15 am

Yes, noticed single overhead on WAB, too.
Has anyone seen University overhead line progress East of Snelling?

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » September 30th, 2013, 7:59 am

Last I saw it looked like they'd gotten down to Hamline. That was about a week ago.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » October 2nd, 2013, 4:39 pm

The overhead wire is all the way to the OMF but is tensioned only to Chatsworth. Poles are going up in the omf yard and they have been laying track there. Also they have been testing signals various places along the line. Any idea of when everything will be cut in?

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » October 3rd, 2013, 3:37 pm

Thanks.

Heard about it being tested East of Snelling; spotter was surprise at how fast it was going when it 'surprised' him.