What The?

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: What The?

Postby Wedgeguy » October 15th, 2013, 10:16 am

woofner wrote:Knowing Sabri, he probably had half the spaces rented and occupied before construction was half done.
Nothing in there at present unless it is at the back of the building. Don't understand how they think they will get 4 businesses in that building and they all are able to make a go without real street presence.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 15th, 2013, 10:39 am

I live on that block of Grand (north of the Greenway) and I've seen folks going in the back entrance (facing the parking lot). I'm too scared to check it out myself. They have some light poles in that parking lot that are undoubtedly too tall and too bright. It's really obnoxious...glad it's lit up for safety, but at least follow the rules. Say what you will, but the renovation of this building makes my walk to the Grand & Lake liquor store feel a bit safer. The property to the north (fronting the Greenway) is still pretty sketchy and barbed-wire fenced. The SFHs & duplexes on the west side of Grand between the liquor store and the Greenway are almost universally dilapidated. That entire block needs some love, and trash cans. Lots of taxis hang out in the area, likely due to Sabri's Somali apartment complex on the north side of the Greenway, and they just throw their trash on the ground. It's disgusting.

Frankly, I'd like to see parking restricted to one side of the street on Grand and converted to a two-way between Lake & 28th. It's a critical connection. It would put more slightly more traffic directly outside of my window, but it's the right thing to do for local circulation...and those littering jerks can go park somewhere else.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 15th, 2013, 11:33 am

^^^ In most third world countries,the majority of people throw their trash on the street as there is barely any formal sanitation system. I would suspect this is true in Somalia or in the refugee camps they came from in Kenya. It's totally a learned behavior based on the reality of living standards and dire poverty they came from. The city would benefit from better educating its third world immigrants on the standard of cleanliness that are expected in a modern first world city. I suppose this is politically "incorrect" and would be seen as prejudice, elitist, or culturally biased. Too bad.

As far as Sabri's developments, if the truth be known, he is really a predator. He can build a substandard building and lease it to immigrants because he is one them culturally (wink wink). He knows this of course and "works it" to his full advantage.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 15th, 2013, 12:13 pm

I live in an apartment with a lot of East African immigrant families and I don't see any problems with trash being thrown where it doesn't belong.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 15th, 2013, 1:06 pm

FISHMANPET wrote:I live in an apartment with a lot of East African immigrant families and I don't see any problems with trash being thrown where it doesn't belong.
Good. It's not an issue for them or the community. Then it must be a simple matter of putting some trash cans by taxi stands and instructing cab drivers to use them for their litter. Problem solved! PS: Maybe if they see Mr Sabri walking down the street, they can throw him in too. ;)

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 25th, 2013, 7:42 pm

This is somehow occupied now. The whole building lights up bright blue at night, and the large, open part of the second story is a patio. The brick on the lower level is still there, meaning the upper and lower floors do not match.

martykoessel
Nicollet Mall

Postby martykoessel » October 25th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Drop here, with honour due, my trunk and brain
among the passioning of my countrymen
unable to read, rich, proud of their tags
and proud of me. Assemble all my bags!
Bury me in a hole, and give a cheer,
near Cedar on Lake Street, where the used cars live.

Hmm, remember what Lake Street was like, back in Berryman days?

This got me to thinking about our famous "What The?" building, which somehow reminds me, not unfondly, of any number of buildings in Mexico, built to stand out, architectural integrity and durability be damned.

I'm of the opinion that immigrants, primarily Mexican, have rescued Lake Street from 35W to Hiawatha. Many of these not-much-in-the-pocket entrepreneurs started out by grabbing onto cheap space and slapping on a hand-painted sign. That's why strange amalgamations like "What The?" get filled. With a little more cash, frills appear, a la the wonderful mural going up on Bloomington at Lake, but in the meanwhile it's let's just get started.

Sabri knows this and builds for this. That's why he's still rolling along, despite his many warts. Sure, stuff like "What The?" appalls as it fascinates, but I'll take this lively tackiness over the former plethora of used car lots.

schmitzm03
Landmark Center

Postby schmitzm03 » October 25th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Brilliant. Couldn't agree more. Immigrant entrepreneurship has always done wonders for once downtrodden urban neighborhoods. Sabri's buildings may not be beautiful to some, but they certainly meet an otherwise unmet need. I've lived in Central Asian and South American cities for a number of years and I get nostalgic taking the bus down lake street and seeing buildings like this one. It reminds of kebab shops in Turkmenistan in particular, and of the liveliness and variety that typifies urban life in much of the non-Western world in general.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 27th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Anyone know what is going on down the street at 3rd Ave S and E Lake Street? Looks like they torn down something and there is a lot of construction equipment. Was this just a demolition or it there a development that we don't know about?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 27th, 2013, 5:31 pm

Wedgeguy wrote:Anyone know what is going on down the street at 3rd Ave S and E Lake Street? Looks like they torn down something and there is a lot of construction equipment. Was this just a demolition or it there a development that we don't know about?
This is the new location of the plasma center that is being displaced by WaHu. It's been discussed in that topic, but for some reason we haven't given it one of its own.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 27th, 2013, 6:36 pm

martykoessel wrote:This got me to thinking about our famous "What The?" building, which somehow reminds me, not unfondly, of any number of buildings in Mexico, built to stand out, architectural integrity and durability be damned.
Exactly part of what I was referring up-thread when I mentioned this reminded me of the architecture I've seen in Cuidad Juarez.

"Character" is . . . one euphemism for it. In a short few years we might see this as charming in its tackiness.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 27th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Yes, Sabri has certainly figured out how to "serve" the immigrant entrepreneur.

If by "serve," you mean bully, intimidate, and take advantage of.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 28th, 2013, 7:42 am

^Or by having a dance-off where the winner swivels their hips and prances around better than the opposition....

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 28th, 2013, 5:41 pm

MNdible wrote:Yes, Sabri has certainly figured out how to "serve" the immigrant entrepreneur.

If by "serve," you mean bully, intimidate, and take advantage of.
100% agree. In psychiatry , a person like Sabri would likely be characterized as having an "antisocial personality disorder" or a persone who has many of these traits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial ... y_disorder

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 28th, 2013, 5:53 pm

lordmoke wrote:
Wedgeguy wrote:Anyone know what is going on down the street at 3rd Ave S and E Lake Street? Looks like they torn down something and there is a lot of construction equipment. Was this just a demolition or it there a development that we don't know about?
This is the new location of the plasma center that is being displaced by WaHu. It's been discussed in that topic, but for some reason we haven't given it one of its own.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that the Plasma center was going to east Lake, but could not place it in my mind. Well now you can give a pin of blood and go to McDonald's for a Super Sized soda to replace all that blood!!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 5th, 2013, 10:48 am

The three buildings to the west of the pawn shop on 28th and Lake have had their facades completely removed. Anyone know what's up?

https://maps.google.com/?ll=44.948377,- ... 3,,0,-8.44

gobezlij
City Center

Postby gobezlij » November 5th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Another Sabri property - Hamoudi Sabri, brother of Basim - with plans for future restaurant (or as a commentator on the article fears, a nightclub).

http://www.my-broadsheet.com/2013/10/23 ... ake-sabri/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 6th, 2013, 11:14 am

Hamoudi does a pretty good job than Basim with his properties, aesthetically at least. He's the one that uses that distinctive tile that's all over Lake & Cedar.
"Who rescued whom!"

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 6th, 2013, 11:45 am

I see the that the WTF is actually open in some areas. It looks like there will be some smaller stalls along the interior hallway, like a mini-mall. Some kind of a small restaurant being worked on in the front. Looks like a subway like deli. Still not sure how you get up to the second floor unless it is strickly by elevator. I really did not see much for stairs unless you have to walk down the hall aways to get to it. I didn't go into the building .

garfield
Metrodome

Postby garfield » November 6th, 2013, 12:35 pm

woofner wrote:Hamoudi does a pretty good job than Basim with his properties, aesthetically at least. He's the one that uses that distinctive tile that's all over Lake & Cedar.
You mean the tiles that have fallen off in many areas (slate tiles should not be used in climates where there is a freeze/thaw cycle)? You mean the Lake/Cedar project where a worker died when the basement walls collapsed? I'm not so sure he's better than Basim...

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”