Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Nordeastmpls
City Center

Re: Minneapolis & St. Paul Fantasies and Speculations

Postby Nordeastmpls » August 7th, 2012, 8:33 am

and by the way....I was just in Denver about a month ago and 16th Street Mall puts Nicollet Mall to shame as far as the activity and all the retail up and down the mall. I lived in Denver at the end of the 90s and back then, they were about even. Nicollet is sketchy in areas and looks run down.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 8th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Yeah, but Denver doesn't have the Mall of America Uber Mall stealing all of its DT business, in an already fashion and clothing conservative area. Lot's of retail is just a little too 'spendy' for a lot of Minnesotans, even if they can afford it.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 8th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Also, Denver has Tourists. That helps, A LOT.

PS, Denver doesn't really have that much retail downtown. Certainly less vacant retail than Mpls, yes...but I would say Minneapolis probably still has more retail, even in it's diminished state. Nicollet def needs updating badly though, and it sounds like it will get it soon. As far as I know, Macy's, Target, Saks off 5th, Marshalls(all of which seem to still do well) are all bigger than any single store in downtown Denver. Aside from maybe TJ Maxx? Also, they don't have a grocer(even a Target with a grocery section) downtown. They do have a movie theater that isn't going anwhere though...and I bet they will add to their clothing retailers while our market remains relatively stagnant.

Cherry Creek is where it is at within the Denver city limits, and that probably "steals" from their downtown.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 8th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Denver having tourist does probably help, but even if the Twin Cities doesn't have as many 'destination tourists' it has a lot of incidental visitors (family in town, business, traveling through, long layovers). They could be going to the DT core for sight seeing or shopping from the airport or suburbs just as easily now with LRT. The MOA takes a lot more of that kind of business from our DT. I would doubt DEN international has that kind of play, for them, and any old suburban retail center.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 8th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Nicollet Mall retail needs to reinvent itself. First and foremost is a dramatic renovation of City Center to make it transparent and engaged with Nicollet Mall. They will never attract good tenants unless the architecture is transformed into something exciting. Gaviidae Common is already a magnificent complex. It just needs better management who really give a shit , and will market it more aggressively. The market is already there for better retail downtown.
The other issue is safety. The 7th and Nicollet bus stop is a hangout for thugs ( shielded by the blank walls of City Center). Its way too small to be a major transit stop. The bus routes should be dispersed and rerouted to decrease the overcrowding and loitering in that area.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 8th, 2012, 5:43 pm

My fantasy is to re-clad city center in a light blu hue of glass and gold accents (mimmicking the LaSalle plaza a bit), add a crown of about 175 feet (flush to the sides) and open up the entrance on Nicollet.

Next would be that 1200 room hotel accross from that nasty Hilton. A slender Aqua like building (in Chicago).

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 8th, 2012, 6:19 pm

My fantasy is to re-clad city center in a light blu hue of glass and gold accents (mimmicking the LaSalle plaza a bit), add a crown of about 175 feet (flush to the sides) and open up the entrance on Nicollet.

Next would be that 1200 room hotel accross from that nasty Hilton. A slender Aqua like building (in Chicago).
Great idea! City Center could actually become an asset to downtown. If it could just find a savvy and creative developer to buy it with a major office tenant to fill the tower. A reclad and major renovation are totally possible to do (this is happening in New York and Chicago to older 60's , 70's office buildings). You are so right about needing a new convention center hotel. You think the current Hilton is nasty? That is actually an (improved) and revised design from the original proposal... lol.

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » August 8th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Nicollet is sketchy in areas and looks run down.
no argument from me

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 9th, 2012, 7:18 am

Great idea! City Center could actually become an asset to downtown. If it could just find a savvy and creative developer to buy it with a major office tenant to fill the tower. A reclad and major renovation are totally possible to do (this is happening in New York and Chicago to older 60's , 70's office buildings). You are so right about needing a new convention center hotel. You think the current Hilton is nasty? That is actually an (improved) and revised design from the original proposal... lol.
I got food poisonnig at the Hilton. It's just so brown and drab as well. JMO

I wonder why my new thread got axed.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 9th, 2012, 7:31 am

I got food poisonnig at the Hilton. It's just so brown and drab as well. JMO

I wonder why my new thread got axed.
Because it already exists.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 9th, 2012, 7:42 am

Yeah, I just figured that out. Thanks.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 21st, 2012, 11:47 am

These are the Aspen Lofts in Boise. I think something like this could be really cool on the half block North of 222 on Hennipen [sic]. The Aspen Lofts are also snugged right up against a parking garage, but what's important is that they are only 50' wide and a full block long. That would add some density and street level retail to Hen, but also leave about 50' to the street to accommodate the planned green ribbon of park from DT to the river.

I've just always thought they were cool, and I think we should start getting better at creating cool and lasting infill for our smaller and more awkward lots. (not that this one necessarily is but it has the park restriction)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 12:28 pm

The great thing about awkward or unusually shaped parcels is it encourages a developer and architect to be more creative in their design solution to fit the sight. The architecture is usually more interesting. It would be great to see smaller infill projects downtown like the one above. I think as our downtown blocks fill up with new buildings we will see more of this. I have always felt the vacant parcels on both the southeast and southwest corners of 4th and Hennepin would also be perfect spots for slender buildings with smaller floorplates. And that half block north of 222 would be perfect for a slender 15 story building.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 21st, 2012, 1:01 pm

These are the Aspen Lofts in Boise. I think something like this could be really cool on the half block North of 222 on Hennipen [sic]. The Aspen Lofts are also snugged right up against a parking garage, but what's important is that they are only 50' wide and a full block long. That would add some density and street level retail to Hen, but also leave about 50' to the street to accommodate the planned green ribbon of park from DT to the river.

I've just always thought they were cool, and I think we should start getting better at creating cool and lasting infill for our smaller and more awkward lots. (not that this one necessarily is but it has the park restriction)
Good idea.....but make it 2X taller and I think it'd be perfect! That area is too important to not be the absolute highest and best use of space!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 27th, 2012, 10:51 am

I think that would look awesome on the corner of 43rd and Upton.

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Postby Nathaniel » August 27th, 2012, 11:37 am

I think that would look awesome on the corner of 43rd and Upton.
That's funny. I'm sure Linden Hills residents would love it. Tall, skinny buildings are all over Australia. In fact, because land parcels are so small, they are starting to become the norm. If Minneapolis were to replace the Boise building (above), I think that'd be great.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » August 28th, 2012, 5:48 am

Sorry - new thread with my own ideas/wish list for downtown (too many to list all at once):

This focuses on bringing back retail to downtown:

1) Focus on creating a "new" retail street that connects with then runs east of Nicollet Mall (9th Street had a good idea - but failed to live up to its potential). I think Nicollet Mall's time as the nexus of downtown shopping has come and gone, which is fine. It's progressed into more an area for dining and drinking, which is great. But downtown needs a new retail street, more than a street, it needs a district. I know many of you are going to hate me for suggesting this for downtown, but what about new mixed use developments near the vikings stadium / in east downtown that create a new "village" like environment - think Shoppes of Arbor Lake or The Westend with a mix of independent/small retail, bars/restaurants, movie theater, and yes, even some "big box" chain stores - all within an area that is pedestrian friendly with tree lined streets, areas for outdoor cafes, water fountains, pocket parks, and even a limited amount of car parking. Let's face it, people who live downtown still shop for the most part in the burbs. Let's give people the stores they are driving to right downtown! Chicago neighborhoods do this and they do very well! And look at the success of Target. There are plenty of surface parking lots that need to be redeveloped!

2)

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 29th, 2012, 8:05 am

I think we should just push for more street-level space which can be used for anything... shopping, restaurants, office, service businesses, etc. And let it organically happen. Shopping will find its place over time.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » August 30th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Let's get serious about creating the best bike/pedestrian friendly city in the world! Let's stop calling it "friendly", let's call it what it is, priority for bikes and peds! We need to think bold and be bold about changing the way people move around Minneapolis. Here's some ideas I have about how to do that and a few other random ideas. 

1. Set a target date to install bike lanes on every street downtown. If we need to eliminate a traffic lane or 2 so be it. Cycle-track not painted lines and the promise of pylons that never get installed.

2. Stop building the city for people who don't live "in" the city, why does someone who lives in East Bethel have priority over the family who chooses to live at 10th and Washington in the Mill District?

3. Enforce traffic laws like your life depends on it because my life does depend on it. As someone who walks 1.5 miles to-from work everyday I need to know that someday, someone is going to get a ticket for running that red light. Ticket people who constantly pull into the intersection on the yellow light and end up stuck there. Does the city have a vehicle noise ordinance? If so enforce it, if not get one.

4. Every street crosswalk downtown should have a bump-out island at the crosswalk making the distance to cross the street for the pedestrian as short as possible.

5. Remove all traffic from the Nicollet Mall on Farmers Market days. The quality of the Farmers Market needs some work also, ban the truck farmers, those who purchase pallet loads of nearly expired produce and resell it on the mall, in my opinion this stuff should be thrown out.

6. Create a "Sunday Art Market" on the Mall, or small clusters of kiosks that are open all summer, we are home to 1000's of creative artist, let's give them a chance to sell their wares on The Mall.

7. Create mini concerts of organized street performers, set a few chairs up around a talented person and let the people enjoy, Partner with 

8. String semi-permanent lights across the Mall, or better yet install retractable sun-rain shades over the Mall creating Minnesota's 3 season sidewalk cafe street.

9. Allow restaurants to setup semi-permanent patio seating along the street with retractable canopies/curtain walls and heat making these patios 3 season.

10. Near buildings were large numbers of bicycles are parked, remove on-street auto parking and replace it with dedicated bicycle parking freeing up the sidewalk for other uses.

11. When designing road/streets include the quantity of pedestrians and bicyclist that could be moved thru a certain design. Get the Old School Traffic Engineers out of the way and let's try something thats innovative or god forbid cutting edge. 

12. Turn off those obnoxious "car approaching" horns at the entrance/exit of parking ramps downtown. Do I as a pedestrian need to be yelled at by a robot while Trevor from Eden Prairie flys out of the parking garage in his $60,000 pile of steal? Trevor, you do not have priority in my world!

Just some of my thoughts.....

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » August 30th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I agree with the above, and would also request (1) hotter girls/women in downtown, (2) cheaper/stiffer drinks at any hour of the day/night

also, make Hennepin/Washington a less scary pedestrian experience for those who walk, say, from Warehouse District to downtown