LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
andrewjamesritchie
Block E

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby andrewjamesritchie » November 6th, 2013, 8:45 pm

My first pics on here. My fist POST on here. Taken just a couple hours ago.

http://imgur.com/a/gcCij

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 6th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Great pics. Will be a gem when lit up at night!

City slicker

Postby City slicker » November 6th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Very cool pics.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » November 8th, 2013, 9:25 am

the building has a really nice profile from east to west and vice versa. looks great driving west on 94 toward the lowry tunnel.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » November 8th, 2013, 1:10 pm

I'm not sure if this has been spoken about somewhere else or on this thread, but there is a highrise (can't remember the name) close to LPM which put up red lighting on the top of its building that looks amazing at night - I wonder if this is an effort to spruce up their location for the incoming competition?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 8th, 2013, 1:23 pm

I believe that's One Ten Grant, isn't it? It does look cool framing downtown against the blue lights on the Fifth Street Towers on the other end of downtown.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 8th, 2013, 1:33 pm

That's 110 Grant. But, I'm not actually sure it was in response to LPM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they had been painting all the railings, etc. a bright red before the LPM deal went through? Still, It does look cool and I think it will appear that they did this to try and become more visible in what is otherwise a bit of a blend-in building, despite its stature and location.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » November 8th, 2013, 1:52 pm

It does look really good against the other blue lights from downtown, and creates contrast just outside of the core - which makes the skyline look more metropolis like at night.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm

I'm sure that they felt that they had to do some updating so that their building could compete with the LPM. They did not want to lose too many of their present tenants. 110 Grant will still do fine. They are an easier walk on the greenway to Nicollet Mall. A closer jump into the skyway system. Probably a better parking situation. The building was due for a refresh awhile ago, especially the exterior. I do like the red lights as it does contrast with the rest of the lights downtown.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 8th, 2013, 2:35 pm

That's 110 Grant. But, I'm not actually sure it was in response to LPM. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they had been painting all the railings, etc. a bright red before the LPM deal went through? Still, It does look cool and I think it will appear that they did this to try and become more visible in what is otherwise a bit of a blend-in building, despite its stature and location.

I noticed that...I have been wondering if the lights were up there originally and just not functional for many years? I know they recently painted all the balconies back to their original red color, so I was wondering if these red lights were part of the original building that hadn't been used for a long time...anyone remember? Either way, I do kind of like them.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 8th, 2013, 2:48 pm

I'd guess by the odd angles that they are just running at the edge of what ever roof section they can bolt up there. I kinda remember that being built, but it never was ever light up. Again I think it was in response to LPM's proposed lit up top that they wanted to also stand out also for marketing reasons. "Where are you located?" answer "We are the tower on the south end of downtown that is lit up red at night." By now a majority of the city that travels near downtown will have at one time or another seen this red topped building as wondered which on that is. I know the first time, I saw it I had to wonder, and then make an effort to actually see if it was 110 Grant. The fact we are talking about it shows that it is working. I'm sure that it is LED lighting which would be cheap to run. Not sure how cheap to install. But I do think it was a wise investment.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » November 8th, 2013, 10:44 pm

I couldn't agree more with everyone. I actually drove up 35 this evening just to see it. I was surprised how noticeable and attention drawing it was. I'm curious how it looks from 394. Also curious to see what LPM's top (crown) will look like at night. One has to admit that Minneapolis has some of the best lighting from its skyscrapers in comparison to other cities. Capella, WF and the Target tower are as good as any IMO. Great mix of color and originality.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 8th, 2013, 11:28 pm

One has to admit that Minneapolis has some of the best lighting from its skyscrapers in comparison to other cities. Capella, WF and the Target tower are as good as any IMO. Great mix of color and originality.
I've often thought about how our nighttime lighting compares to other cities, and how generally banal a lot of the competition is in that area, and I think our skyline shines (pun intended) in this department for a good reason: We spend a lot of our time in the dark. We're far enough north that the percentage of time our skyline is viewed at night is a lot higher than other major American cities, so the investment has been made to keep it visually interesting even in the dark. What's the point of a trophy tower if people only notice it during the day, when the sun sets before they've even left their offices?

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 9th, 2013, 9:28 am

Speaking of lighting, has anyone noticed the "rainbow" of night lighting in the building's floors? A nod to the gay-friendly neighborhood perhaps? I like it.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 9th, 2013, 2:55 pm

...We spend a lot of our time in the dark. We're far enough north that the percentage of time our skyline is viewed at night is a lot higher than other major American cities,...
I agree that Minneapolis is among the best-lit American cities (leaving out Las Vegas - it's not a normal city :) ). But, just to be a tight-a$$ perfectionist, Minneapolis - on a yearly average - gets exactly the same amount of day and night as every other city on the planet: 12 hours of each. And, if you want to get even more precise, everyone gets about 10 minutes more daylight than night because of the refraction of the sun's light at sunrise and sunset.

That's what working at a planetarium does to you. ;)

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » November 9th, 2013, 5:18 pm

...We spend a lot of our time in the dark. We're far enough north that the percentage of time our skyline is viewed at night is a lot higher than other major American cities,...
I agree that Minneapolis is among the best-lit American cities (leaving out Las Vegas - it's not a normal city :) ). But, just to be a tight-a$$ perfectionist, Minneapolis - on a yearly average - gets exactly the same amount of day and night as every other city on the planet: 12 hours of each. And, if you want to get even more precise, everyone gets about 10 minutes more daylight than night because of the refraction of the sun's light at sunrise and sunset.

FEISTY and dead on

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 9th, 2013, 5:57 pm

But, just to be a tight-a$$ perfectionist, Minneapolis - on a yearly average - gets exactly the same amount of day and night as every other city on the planet: 12 hours of each. And, if you want to get even more precise, everyone gets about 10 minutes more daylight than night because of the refraction of the sun's light at sunrise and sunset.

Oh, but you're forgetting about Daylight Savings Time. If the Gov'mint didn't make the sun set an hour early for 6 months out of the year, then that would be true, right? But they do, so we have less sunlight during the winter months.

;)
My flickr photos.

PLGTMD
Block E

Postby PLGTMD » November 9th, 2013, 7:10 pm

We also get an hour more sunlight during the morning, so they cancel out.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 10th, 2013, 10:20 am

I think you missed the winking face at the bottom of my post. I was making a reference to this:
http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/daylight.asp
My flickr photos.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » November 10th, 2013, 10:59 am

4 more stories to go on this one until its topped? Am I correct?