The Skyline

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
Konante
Nicollet Mall

Skyline/Mill District View from 35W Bridge

Postby Konante » June 19th, 2012, 9:32 am

In my opinion the view of the skyline, the mill district, and the stonearch bridge from the 35W bridge is the best view in the city. Especially in the early evening. Does anyone know of or have any great pictures from this vantage point? I've found a few but none do the view justice.

Shawn
Site Admin

Re: Skyline/Mill District View from 35W Bridge

Postby Shawn » June 19th, 2012, 11:08 am

I agree...I have been meaning to have someone else drive that so I can snap some photos as the sun sets. It's a great view, hopefully someone will get some pictures and post them.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 19th, 2012, 11:19 am

I've always like the view on 35W while going on the hill by Industrial Bl. Downtown looks so massive, it reminds me of the view when entering Chicago on the Kennedy Expressway.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 20th, 2012, 12:38 pm

I think my 2 favorite view of Minneapolis from far away would have to be 35W North bound (from south metro) fight after the 35w and 35e split and you come up to the hill at night you can see downtown and the freeway bringing you there! just amazing at night!

Also on Nicollet ave around highway 13 in Eagan best views from a far. :)

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

MPLS Speculation: Where will the next big tower be proposed?

Postby ECtransplant » July 8th, 2012, 1:18 am

Assume current proposals get built. Where do you see the next 25+ story development taking place in Minneapolis?

My bet (and hope) would be the surface parking lots on Hennepin and 11th.

The new downtown Lunds, Butcher and the Boar, the other retail nearby, right by the Theater District, Target HQ and the rest of the CBD nearby . . . !!!! Seems like a great spot for a great mixed-use development!

Any other hopes, fantasies, or speculations?

Lancestar2

Re: MPLS Speculation: Where will the next big tower be propo

Postby Lancestar2 » July 8th, 2012, 5:19 pm

I would LOVE to on that site your talking about get a 1/2 block sky scraper AND a 1/2 block sky scraper twin on the other side of Hennepin (so they would match!) and maybe around half way up they could have a skyway restaurant would have great views of the city on Hennepin! It would be wonderful to have twin buildings!!! ever sense I heard about Accenture towers and the twin that was never built :( I really wanted to see some great twin buildings and on Hennepin ave!! :O (also this project would NOT have a skyway bridge I think it may damage the views and it really wouldn't really go anywhere.)

Secondly the convention center the plaza out front would be a great place to finally getting around to building that hotel! :)

Also Nicollet Ave and 15th I would love to see a redesign to make that block with 3 roads East/West into a pedestrian walk way only on the north road the middle would remain as the road. and a small ally on the south road with large sidewalks. Then I would love to see a nice tall building maybe 15-35 stories most likely hotel or residential Retail would be on 1st floor lining Nicollet ave and the North side (along the pedestrian walkway) also the building would go over top of the existing middle 4lane road. Also parking would be in 2 levels of basement ground level (minus retail) and a 2nd floor parking.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2012, 4:00 pm

I think the coolest, best place for a new Residential/mixed use project would definitely be Hen and 10th/11th

The most likely best place for a new tall office tower I would think would be between 9th and 10th st between 2nd and 3rd ave next to oracle and campbell mithun... I also think Elliot Park is our best hope for lots of cool new residential development in DT. Their neighborhood plan calls for a lot of midrise and some highrise development around 8th. They also have such cool historic stuff. That neighborhood is definitely on the mend and poised to be a really great hood.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Ooooh Also, Something tall at 1st Avenue and 5th Street would be amazing. Not only is it next to the LRT, Cowles Theatre, Target field/center, and tons of everything, if it's tall enough it could help block out/eclipse 33 south 6th (city center).

Dreams coming true in my mind...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 10th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Yes, the block by Campbell Mithun needs something. Also I'd love to see the block between Thrivent and HCMC, across from the Armory, get something. Finally how about the block between Nicollet and Marquette north of 4th Ave, across from the Library.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

The Skyline

Postby Wedgeguy » November 14th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Going into town on 394 the tower does really have a presence and the elevator shafts make this building look much taller than the towers nearby.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: 4Marq - (313' - 30 Stories)

Postby Wedgeguy » November 14th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Hope that one of the places it happens is on the ugly parking ramp across Marquette by the Opus towers. That is a worse eye sore than the empty lots to the north of Marq4. Would be nice if they could do it all at once. But have things look like they were done at different times. Figure out and nice common area like the IDS Court but have the towers look very different, yet compliment each other.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Re: LPM Apartments - (376' - 36 Stories)

Postby AccordGuy » November 14th, 2013, 9:54 pm

I'm starting to see this from almost every angle when I look at downtown. Makes me wish it would go higher.
Born in Minneapolis.

kregger22

Postby kregger22 » November 15th, 2013, 10:38 am

With all of the excitement LPM & Nic are receiving, and assumably at least one more apartment high-rise announcement in the next 6-12 months (according to those who keep telling us to just wait) it would be nice if those behind 4Marq would reconsider the current height and stand out. I know, it doesn't just happen like that - but it would be nice if it did.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 15th, 2013, 11:06 am

Maybe this will speed up a condo tower on the old Dolphin Staffing half block south of Whole Foods. We need some more "for sale" for those that don't want to rent. Plenty of space for a two tower development. Medium tower to the north with the taller tower to the south which would step down nice from the height downtown.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » November 15th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Before the condo market went bust, Jim Stanton was proposing a two-phase development call the Eclipse on this half block. Assuming that he still owns the land, I've been wondering if he might return to a condo development here if StoneBridge continues to sell well. With Whole Foods across the street and potentially a nice park across Hennepin, this property has become more attractive as a residential site.

(Should I be sticking this under the old Eclipse thread?)

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 15th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I'm starting to see this from almost every angle when I look at downtown. Makes me wish it would go higher.
I think it's about the right height for its location. Too far out from the tallest buildings in the core to be higher, otherwise it would look awkward IMO. It's slightly taller but similar enough to nearby 110 Grant and Marquette Place's size to give it reference to the tallest towers in the surrounding area. And really given its current size and unique design, it's already established itself very strongly as the new landmark of the neighborhood.

Didier
Capella Tower

Re: The Skyline

Postby Didier » November 16th, 2013, 1:31 pm

This thread is a hilarious and passive aggressive collection of posts, and I don't mind it at all.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 16th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Before the condo market went bust, Jim Stanton was proposing a two-phase development call the Eclipse on this half block. Assuming that he still owns the land, I've been wondering if he might return to a condo development here if StoneBridge continues to sell well. With Whole Foods across the street and potentially a nice park across Hennepin, this property has become more attractive as a residential site.
This would be a great condo project for Mr Stanton after Stonebridge. He's seems to be able to privately finance so he can build whatever he wants. Would make a nice step-up tower towards the CBD and delineate the downtown district from the North Loop.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 17th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Wow, what a shot! I saw that article also and although it's about traffic and I-35W there in the photo, that skyline shot makes downtown Minneapolis look like a much bigger city. What I like most about Minneapolis (or any city skyline) is that high-rises and density are not exclusive to the core CBD, and can skew out from the core in any and every direction -- just like downtown Mpls.

mpls_tc
Block E

Postby mpls_tc » November 17th, 2013, 9:53 pm

If they could get a few 400-500 foot buildings to fill in the gaps to the left, downtown Minneapolis would look huge heading north into downtown on 35w.